Bought my hubby a full Muzzy for his 07 and he doesnt like it.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 07:42 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Well they shouldn't be on their cell phones anyway. Stinking cagers. You think its dangerous talking on a cell phone while driving? Try being on a bike around these nut jobs. Putting on makeup, eating a burger or just taking their driving privileges for granted. They need to make it illegal to have even one hand off the wheel.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Deej I think you are taking this personal and missing the point. The point isn't that the pipes don't sound great, they do and it isn't about your right to have the pipe, legally speaking all these pipes on the street are illegal, our bikes, the HD, the Gixxers, all of them, it just has been, until now, the law has looked the other way.

That is changing, people WITH cell phones are calling FROM their cars to complain, hell, I have 4 bikes in the garage now, have been riding 20 plus years and it bothers me too.

Can't tell you how many times someone on a sport bike or HD screamed down my road and woke my daughter from her nap. Is that fair? Is it right that this persons desire to ride their bike at 10k RPM with a loud pipe should disturb my peace? Where are my rights, those fart can cars and loud stereos are just as bad.

Point is, too many people abuse the loud exhaust thing and aftermarket companies do squat about it. They could make the pipes sound great, not too loud, still very light and still offer a performance gain, but why should they?

With the popularity of bikes now, especially HD's and the fart can cars with the loud stereos we are all being lumped together and being cracked down on.

Think about this, all those illegal trails, if no one could hear you, would they care that you rode there? Often times now, what do they complain about, the noise 99.99999% of the time, first and foremost. Hell, even organized events now require quite pipes.

If we do not police ourselves and make the changes ourselves, the law will for us. Just ask anyone in England.

Last edited by marc11; 06-20-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Just be happy you don't live next to me. You would move. I'm with Deej. Most car drivers need to wake their a$$ up. If me having a loud pipe is what it takes to do that then that's just what's going to be. marc11, I respect your view and you are correct, but I'll be damned if I compromise my safety because ANYONE is uptight about my bike being too loud. Again, I mean no disrespect to you.

Last edited by NEWPARTSRULE; 06-20-2009 at 10:22 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:03 PM
1st Gear Member

thats exactly right!..i allmost ran over a bunch of kids on bicycles that were in the middle of the road, when i went around a blind corner...with the stock exhaust,they couldn't hear me coming fast enough to get out of the way!

Old 06-20-2009, 11:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Come on, seriously, you are going to justify a loud exhaust because you were riding too fast to react around a blind corner? Really? Listen, if you want a loud pipe for the personal sound and performance, great, but don't use the excuse that loud pipes allow you to be heard when the fact is, you should be riding slower and taking extra precautions around blind corners.

I could even argue that the animal theory is false, because the fact is, animals could run in front of you in fear trying to get across the road to fellow animals when they hear your pipe.

I have logged over 100,000 miles on street bikes, and never once have had an incident where a loud pipe would have made the difference, over using my head and riding to the level of the conditions.

I can respect the desire to have a performance exhaust, but say it is for what it is, you like the sound, you like the lighter weight, you like the HP boost. Just don't self justify it by saying it makes it safer for you on the road, because that is just not true. The fact is the noise comes out the back of the bike, away for your direction of travel, therefore, those kids couldn't tell you were behind them, in front of them or on another road.

This loud pipes save lives thing has been disproven by the AMA and several other respected groups already.

Last edited by marc11; 06-20-2009 at 11:28 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:39 PM
1st Gear Member

I have a muzzy and sometimes I hate the sound of it, sometimes it doesn't bother me. I would much rather have a quieter bike than a loud one. I shift up much sooner and never open the throttle wide open when on the street because I don't like it when other a holes do it. On the other hand the stock exhaust is so restrictive that it take the fun out of riding the thing. I was thinking of de moding my bike a while back to see what it was like.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:08 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't think going back to stock is a viable option, the stocker was just below my acceptable performance threshold. Maybe somebody could come up with a more effective quiet core. I remember reading about Craig Vetter riding around his hometown with a full grand-prix 250cc two stroke with a 4-foot cardboard box full of insulation and an emergecy tripwire to jettison the damned thing if it caught fire. He was quoted that you could get away with anything on the street if you were quiet about it. I may get out the tinsnips and try to fab a baffle to stick over the pipe for commuting.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Personally I found a simple middle ground. Since I have the 300cc kit, I put a stock KLX300 exhaust on it. Yeah, it is a bit heavy, but it has the removable end cap, so, quiet on the street, louder in the trails if I want.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by marc11
Come on, seriously, you are going to justify a loud exhaust because you were riding too fast to react around a blind corner? Really? Listen, if you want a loud pipe for the personal sound and performance, great, but don't use the excuse that loud pipes allow you to be heard when the fact is, you should be riding slower and taking extra precautions around blind corners.

I could even argue that the animal theory is false, because the fact is, animals could run in front of you in fear trying to get across the road to fellow animals when they hear your pipe.

I have logged over 100,000 miles on street bikes, and never once have had an incident where a loud pipe would have made the difference, over using my head and riding to the level of the conditions.

I can respect the desire to have a performance exhaust, but say it is for what it is, you like the sound, you like the lighter weight, you like the HP boost. Just don't self justify it by saying it makes it safer for you on the road, because that is just not true. The fact is the noise comes out the back of the bike, away for your direction of travel, therefore, those kids couldn't tell you were behind them, in front of them or on another road.

This loud pipes save lives thing has been disproven by the AMA and several other respected groups already.
I was going 20 mph,the kids were 5 abreast ,they were takin up the whole road,say what you will,but if people can hear me, they know i'm there and are more aware,its just comon sence.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:48 AM
1st Gear Member

well once they pass legislation to ban loud pipes,and they will,its only a matter of time,then the manufactures will be makin quieter pipes that still perform the same,but it will double the price i'm sure....i think someone allready makes a street legal pipe for sport bikes.....when i'm riddin around and want too be quite ,i just keep the rrr's down,and its not so bad.

Quick Reply: Bought my hubby a full Muzzy for his 07 and he doesnt like it.....