Bought a friend for my KLX to play with

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 06:37 AM
Default Bought a friend for my KLX to play with

I picked up a 2004 BMW R1150R. What a smooth ride. I must say, I was missing that feeling of instant torque at the twist of my wrist. The gearbox isn't the greatest and it could use a taller seat and a bigger windscreen. I was thinking of picking up a crusier, but I'm glad I went this route instead.

My KLX still has it's place. When the ATV parks are open and dry, I'll head that way this summer. The short hop across town or my little 3 mile commute to work is perfect for the KLX. Just not long highway trips, or riding with a passenger. No matter what, it's a great bang for the buck, but can't do everything and I still have the urge for a little sport touring.

Now I just need to look into a getting a trailer hitch from the 1150R to tow the KLX to the good trails (usually 2+ hours away)

[IMG]local://upfiles/1299/4ADB2B28982245BAB7A0A900A2313B70.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-28-2006, 06:56 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Bought a friend for my KLX to play with

Congratulations! I have a 2002 R1150R in Black. It is essentially the exact same bike as yours. It's great for long distance sports touring, has a torquey charismatic engine, and handles reasonably well. Yeah it sure beats a cruiser!

Old 04-28-2006, 02:19 PM

Please understand that you have a condition that is known as "Multiple Bike Disorder" and there is no known cure! I too am inflicted with it and have found the only way to deal with it is keep buying motorcycles. At least yours is in the early stages - where you buy motorcycles of completely different styles and configurations. When it becomes more advanced, you will find you need multiple kinds of the same genre of motorcycles - why else would anyone have a KLR250, a KLR650 and a KLX250S?

Other than the obviously problems of where to store these motorcycles and also the typical commentary from the distaff member of you household, there seem to be no other problems from this disorder!

[sm=happy046.gif] [sm=happy046.gif] [sm=happy046.gif] [sm=happy046.gif] [sm=happy046.gif] [sm=happy046.gif]

Congrats on the new toy, err . . . . I mean motorcycle. Nice choice and so much better than a cruiser.

Old 04-28-2006, 02:42 PM

ORIGINAL: motoguy128

I picked up a 2004 BMW R1150R. What a smooth ride. I must say, I was missing that feeling of instant torque at the twist of my wrist. The gearbox isn't the greatest and it could use a taller seat and a bigger windscreen. I was thinking of picking up a crusier, but I'm glad I went this route instead.

My KLX still has it's place. When the ATV parks are open and dry, I'll head that way this summer. The short hop across town or my little 3 mile commute to work is perfect for the KLX. Just not long highway trips, or riding with a passenger. No matter what, it's a great bang for the buck, but can't do everything and I still have the urge for a little sport touring.

Now I just need to look into a getting a trailer hitch from the 1150R to tow the KLX to the good trails (usually 2+ hours away)

OMG Motoguy, I think you have totaly changed my mind about getting a cruiser, that thing is amazing, and has the sweetest curves[sm=drooldude.gif] What will one of these bikes run you?

Old 04-28-2006, 03:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice Bike!

I think I have MBD also, I keep looking at that damn Cycle Trader.

Mike

Old 04-28-2006, 03:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Marty

Other than the obviously problems of where to store these motorcycles and also the typical commentary from the distaff member of you household, there seem to be no other problems from this disorder!
I have it easy. I'm not married, and my apartment has a single car detached garage that I'm able to stuff a motorcycle trailer, my '04 Honda Accord, the KLX and the 1150R. I actually have room for 1 more... then the car goes outside.

Old 04-29-2006, 04:19 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Please understand that you have a condition that is known as "Multiple Bike Disorder" and there is no known cure!
Haha so true. Years ago, I remember a Pete Egan column in Cycle World about this. He stated that the ideal number of bikes to have is five. I'm not sure of the exact mix but it went something like...

1. Pure sports bike
2. Dirt bike
3. Big V-Twin
4. Sports Tourer
5. Vintage

Old 04-29-2006, 05:16 AM

ORIGINAL: FM_Thumper

Please understand that you have a condition that is known as "Multiple Bike Disorder" and there is no known cure!
Haha so true. Years ago, I remember a Pete Egan column in Cycle World about this. He stated that the ideal number of bikes to have is five. I'm not sure of the exact mix but it went something like...

1. Pure sports bike
2. Dirt bike
3. Big V-Twin
4. Sports Tourer
5. Vintage

My lineup:

1. Pure sports bike - ZRX1200R
2. Dirt bike - KLX250S
3. Big V-Twin - (had) Vulcan 1500 Classic FI
4. Sports Tourer - Concours
5. Vintage - 1974 Honda CB350F
6. Adventure Tourer - KLR650

Had to give up the cruiser due to riding position. With my artificial hip, I can't ride with my knee higher than my hip. Can't find a cruiser that I can ride! I'll have one of the new twin cylinder Adventure Touring bikes coming out for 2007 to make up for that deficiency!

Old 04-29-2006, 05:36 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

My lineup:

1. Pure sports bike - ZRX1200R
2. Dirt bike - KLX250S
3. Big V-Twin - (had) Vulcan 1500 Classic FI
4. Sports Tourer - Concours
5. Vintage - 1974 Honda CB350F
6. Adventure Tourer - KLR650

Haha how did the CB sneak in there Marty? I figured you would have picked a Z-1 or one of those crazy ringading triples.

My lineup...

1. Pure sports bike: 2004 Honda CBR600RR
2. Dirtbike: 2006 KLX250S
3. Big V-Twin: I don't have one but I'll take a Ducati Monster S4s for my V-Twin LOL!
4. Sports Tourer: 2002 BMW R1150R
5. Vintage: I don't have one but I'd like a late Sixties Bonnie.
6. Adventure Tourer: Hmm...I never thought of one. I guess one of those big KTMs...

Old 04-29-2006, 10:56 AM

ORIGINAL: incabiker

OMG Motoguy, I think you have totaly changed my mind about getting a cruiser, that thing is amazing, and has the sweetest curves[sm=drooldude.gif] What will one of these bikes run you?
[/quote]

I picked up this used example with 13,000 miles on it for $7,500 + $500 for TTL. It included factory heated grips, factory hand guards, side cases, and aftermarket windscreen. I think it had a minor lowside once, but it was completely repaired except a few minor scuffs. I've already ordered taller seats (more padding & for more legroom), a different windscreen, and a Givi V46 tail case that mounts to the rear factory rack.

There's nothing quite like a BMW. Also consider the Suzuki VStrom and Buell Ulyssees. They offer similar functionality but are really closer to a BMW 1200GS.

Quick Reply: Bought a friend for my KLX to play with