Bottom End Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 09:43 PM
1st Gear Member
Unhappy Bottom End Help

Okay, I have my '09 jetted w/ a state 2 Dynojet kit. I forget which jet my guy put in, but I don't have much bottom end. I don't have my pipe yet, and I hope it will help...

On my buddy's DR400, that thing's got "umph" all over the place, and it is stock. It will grunt and pull in any gear, and it had no problems at all today.

Today, when riding, I was in a technical uphill climb and just wearing it out in 2nd gear, but it was like it was flooding out and bogging down. I eventually lost power, stalled out, and dropped it to the side.

Now -- will a pipe fix this? Is it not jetted right since he jetted w/ the intention of me putting on a pipe soon?

It kinda pisses me off.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:48 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm thinking of 2 things.

1. your screw isn't properly adjusted

2. your running the 14t sprocket
________
Ship sale

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 07:55 AM.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JasonFMX
I'm thinking of 2 things.

1. your screw isn't properly adjusted

2. your running the 14t sprocket
I assume you mean the air screw? Would I go in, or out? How do I adjust it w/out pulling the carb. No Koubla (or whateverthehellitis) screw.

And yes, it's a factory sprocket.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:03 AM
1st Gear Member

You can loosen the carb' at the manifold and air box. Rotate it enough to adjust the screw with a screwdriver. That is IF you've already removed the plug on the screw. If not, you'll have to take the carb' out to drill the plug. The 14 tooth sprocket isn't helping your cause.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:29 AM
1st Gear Member

My 09 is running a tad rough as well....

I thinks its also the gas mix screw....Air is a tad colder here and just seems like she could use a tad more fuel compared to a 90 degree summer day when the bikes motor temp is up...Or less cold air......With the temps Im getting the oil is about 105 degrees drained after a 20 mile run....Summer time here and I would have had a serious burn after touching the hot oil so soon...

My guess its the clean cooler air and needs that cooler temp adjustment for fall...

Rocco

Old 10-27-2008, 05:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by USMCsilver
I assume you mean the air screw? Would I go in, or out? How do I adjust it w/out pulling the carb. No Koubla (or whateverthehellitis) screw.

And yes, it's a factory sprocket.
Depending on how much riding you do off road you have to make a decision which sprocket to put on. A 13t front sprocket seems to be the magic in between all around number. If you want, you can go 12t on the front,...or instead, for more money get a 45 tooth rear. That really gears it down. Not as good on the road though, if you do alot of road riding. Don't get me wrong, it works just fine, but revs out quicker. But if your riding super tight, creeping, muddy stuff the 12 (or 45 rear) is the way to go. I've even seen a few guys running a 12 front and a 45 rear....thats super creeping gears! Your stock gearing is front 14-42 rear by the way

As far as the screw goes, your just going to have to either start writing down where the screw is now and make an adjustment and see if gets better and keep repeating until its good (thats the hard way). Or get a Kouba screw...or do what I did. Just make a little tool to reach up in there and adjust it while its running.

I can't say whether you should go in or out because i have no idea where its at now, and if it ever ran right to begin with, or anything has changed in between. I'll just take a stab and say it needs turned out more. I say this because you said you drilled out your baffle in your bike, you also took your snorkel out, you installed a DJ kit, and its getting colder. All signs you need a richer mixture.
________
Upskirt Japanese

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 07:55 AM.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:17 PM
1st Gear Member

what rpm range were you riding up that hill in before the bike bogged down and stalled?

Last edited by lcpl0331; 10-27-2008 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lcpl0331
what rpm range were you riding up that hill in before the bike bogged down and stalled?
Honestly, I don't recall. I know the revs weren't up too high and the hill wasn't that steep, but I figured the revs would climb as I climbed, but they just didn't.

I'm gonna get a 13T to see what that does. It's a cheap fix until I get my pipe. I'll probably just run it when I know I'm going to do some "hard core" off-roading, for the street, I'll keep my 14T. I figured I'd get my pipe earlier than this, but my AIG, FNM, FRE, F, GM, and WAMUQ aren't doing what I wanted them to. (Go figure.)

Old 10-28-2008, 03:00 AM
1st Gear Member

AIG, FNM, FRE, F, GM, and WAMUQ aren't doing what I wanted them to. (Go figure.)
You should feel good, your companies got bailed out on "United States Government rich people welfare"....I had ALOT of money in Lehman's,.....ALOT. All gone. Woke up one morning and saw they filed bankruptcy. All of my shares were only worth like $230, so do the math on what was in there.
________
Sell vaporizers

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 08:00 AM.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:03 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm gonna get a 13T to see what that does. It's a cheap fix until I get my pipe.
Premature welcome to the big bore club...

1st is geared pretty low even with the 14 tooth......do you think the stalling may be a malfunction between the seat and the throttle & shifter.

Last edited by Finger Mullet; 10-28-2008 at 03:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Bottom End Help