Boring -Maximize MPG

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 04:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stephenmarklay
I THINK I can get around with out pegging the throttle every time I go through the gears.
Like for a whole tank of gas? I don't think I could do it. I mean, you only live once and I don't want to waste what little time I have left babying a 250cc bike to get better fuel economy. It's not natural. Are you feeling ok? Any aches or pains? Blurred vision? Vomiting?

Old 04-26-2012, 12:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lotrat
Like for a whole tank of gas? I don't think I could do it. I mean, you only live once and I don't want to waste what little time I have left babying a 250cc bike to get better fuel economy. It's not natural. Are you feeling ok? Any aches or pains? Blurred vision? Vomiting?
I will have to listen to some music or something while doing this so I am not thinking about wanting to go faster

Old 04-26-2012, 12:51 PM
1st Gear Member

My last tank I got 74.8mpg's. My bike is all stock 2012. I know its boring but this is why I got this bike, to commute and get good gas mileage.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:08 PM
1st Gear Member

I will have to listen to some music or something while doing this so I am not thinking about wanting to go faster
Sailing by Christopher Cross in 1980 - YouTube

Old 04-29-2012, 01:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Spyke
My last tank I got 74.8mpg's. My bike is all stock 2012. I know its boring but this is why I got this bike, to commute and get good gas mileage.
That is good mileage! Actually that is great mileage. Are you factoring any odo error (if your bike has it)

I have not measured the odo error on my 06 but I am guessing it is about 10%. I think the speedo is off about 10% and its analog so I think the odo error is the same.

Corrected my last tank was 66.7mpg (uncorrected 74.2). That was only just over a half tank fill (1.12 gallons).

I think I can get that to 70 if I put in some real effort. This time around I tried to be a bit more aero on the highway and not rev passed about 5k around town.

I may try some advanced techniques next

Last edited by stephenmarklay; 04-29-2012 at 01:19 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:12 AM
1st Gear Member

I did a little odo test today. I road 21.1 miles and my GPS recorded 20.15. So the error was closer to 5%. That gives me just over 70mpg on the last fill!

I will check the odo over a longer distance and see. That is good. If I can get 70 I am pretty good with it.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:15 AM
1st Gear Member

My brother and I watched some guys rip it up on their wakeboards one day with this 10cc song blasting on their expensive wakeboard boats high power stereo system. LOL, My brother and I still laugh about it. Not really an adrenaline pumping song. Either one would probably help keep you from twisting the throttle though.

10 CC - I'm Not In Love - YouTube

Old 04-30-2012, 03:45 AM
1st Gear Member

The sad truth is that I remember these songs. Make out songs in Jr. High :-)

Pod casts for me thanks.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:45 PM
1st Gear Member

That is good mileage! Actually that is great mileage. Are you factoring any odo error (if your bike has it)

I have not measured the odo error on my 06 but I am guessing it is about 10%. I think the speedo is off about 10% and its analog so I think the odo error is the same.

Corrected my last tank was 66.7mpg (uncorrected 74.2). That was only just over a half tank fill (1.12 gallons).

I think I can get that to 70 if I put in some real effort. This time around I tried to be a bit more aero on the highway and not rev passed about 5k around town.

I may try some advanced techniques next
I did not factor in any ODO errors. I don't have a GPS so I'm not sure how else to do it? Even if I am getting in the upper 60's that is still good. It helps me justify the purchase of the bike to the wife :-) I wish there were modifications we could do to get even better mpg's.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Spyke
I did not factor in any ODO errors. I don't have a GPS so I'm not sure how else to do it? Even if I am getting in the upper 60's that is still good. It helps me justify the purchase of the bike to the wife :-) I wish there were modifications we could do to get even better mpg's.
If you are on knobby tires I think going to a smooth tire will help get a bit more MPG. One big factor is the amount of wind you catch on the bike. On the highway a semi-aero position no doubt helps. Driving technique is the single biggest factor so I am going to play with that and see if I can get past 70.

Next stop is 75MPG.

Quick Reply: Boring -Maximize MPG