Boring -Maximize MPG

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 03:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgoers
I checked my mileage again yesterday, after installing the new pipe. Rode 90 miles on dirt/gravel roads... got 65.1 MPG. I'm not complaining.
All things considered that's pretty damn good. I think they do better around town and on the trail then the highway. At least as good anyway. The wind resistance at highway speed is enough to zap any real gains.

Also, riding the thing on the highway is hair raising for me.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:37 AM
1st Gear Member

What are you guys running for gearing? I'm running a 12t countershaft sprocket and a 42t in the back. I know it made a big difference (+10%) on my KLR when I went up one tooth in the front. I'm thinking that my 12t is probably decreasing my mileage by at least that much.

Also I noticed that my throttle only has two settings: on and off

Old 04-12-2012, 02:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cjbiker
What are you guys running for gearing? I'm running a 12t countershaft sprocket and a 42t in the back. I know it made a big difference (+10%) on my KLR when I went up one tooth in the front. I'm thinking that my 12t is probably decreasing my mileage by at least that much.

Also I noticed that my throttle only has two settings: on and off
First gear must go by pretty fast

I am not sure that you are hurting your mileage unless you are on the highway a lot. My guess is that you just shift more.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stephenmarklay
First gear must go by pretty fast

I am not sure that you are hurting your mileage unless you are on the highway a lot. My guess is that you just shift more.
My gearing is still a little high for off road riding around here. I am in 6th gear by 45mph, though...

I thought the same thing as you, but I know how much of a difference the higher gearing on my KLR made on my mileage, so I'm sure that the lower gearing hurts the KLX to the same degree.

I'm assuming you're running the stock 13/42?

Old 04-12-2012, 07:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cjbiker
My gearing is still a little high for off road riding around here. I am in 6th gear by 45mph, though...

I thought the same thing as you, but I know how much of a difference the higher gearing on my KLR made on my mileage, so I'm sure that the lower gearing hurts the KLX to the same degree.

I'm assuming you're running the stock 13/42?
Yes mine is stock (I think that is 14/42). I am on the highway at about 6-6.5k which is in the 60's or so (never can tell with the speedo error). Although today I went slow on the way to work (highway) and forget to get into 6th for about 10 miles. I was at 6500 doing around 50 or so.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stephenmarklay
Yes mine is stock (I think that is 14/42). I am on the highway at about 6-6.5k which is in the 60's or so (never can tell with the speedo error). Although today I went slow on the way to work (highway) and forget to get into 6th for about 10 miles. I was at 6500 doing around 50 or so.
Oh yeah, you're right, stock is 14/42. I'm running 13/42. I knew it was one tooth lower in the front. I've actually got an SF which comes with 13/39, but I've got 'S' wheels, with the stock 42t rear. Confused yet?

When I wear out this chain/sprocket combo, I'm going to go with a 14/47 setup, which should last longer and produce less wear on the chain slider.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:58 PM

Anyone have a problem with throttle response on the return? When I roll off it stays at the rpm I was for more than a few seconds and then slowly drops to idle. On my KLR 650 there was a carb procedure involving drilling a jet adding a washer. Anything like that with the KLX???

Old 04-26-2012, 02:15 AM
1st Gear Member

I have stock gearing and was kinda surprised that I only got 61MPG. I guess I ride like a jack ***. WOT till 10 over the speed limit is my norm.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jefe1627
Anyone have a problem with throttle response on the return? When I roll off it stays at the rpm I was for more than a few seconds and then slowly drops to idle. On my KLR 650 there was a carb procedure involving drilling a jet adding a washer. Anything like that with the KLX???
I do not. I wonder if you have a sticky cable?

Old 04-26-2012, 02:27 AM
1st Gear Member

OK the new car smell has worn off and I THINK I can get around with out pegging the throttle every time I go through the gears.

I am going to try and get good mileage and see how good it gets. I live in an area with a fair amount of terrain and have to drive hills no matter what.

80mpg or bust!

Quick Reply: Boring -Maximize MPG