Boring -Maximize MPG

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 04:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
I would guess if you are looking for good mileage leave it stock.
Thank you, beat me to it

Old 04-06-2012, 12:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaverickAus
Thank you, beat me to it
For gas mileage that just might be the ticket. But not that stock does any better, it just seems that highway gearing, stock gearing, jets, slip ons etc don't seem to change it much. I think jets and the like CAN eat into it but with normal driving may not.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ahnh666
hmm..i thought i read that on the manual or something...where did i see that?..
I just ask because most here seem to recommend regular unless your bike is pinging. I run regular (non-ethanol because we have it here). Even the 351 big bores with 12:1 compression usually do just fine on regular 87 octane from what I hear. I've read that the premium, when not needed, may increase deposits and not necessarily perform as well as regular. No expert though...just regurgitating.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
I just ask because most here seem to recommend regular unless your bike is pinging. I run regular (non-ethanol because we have it here). Even the 351 big bores with 12:1 compression usually do just fine on regular 87 octane from what I hear. I've read that the premium, when not needed, may increase deposits and not necessarily perform as well as regular. No expert though...just regurgitating.

I need to search out some non-ethanol here. The manual does not actually recommend premium. It says 91 ron or greater. That is regular in our neck of the world. However, that would be a minimum. I really doubt that using 95 ron or similar is going to do any harm. Combustion is a tricky thing. I put premium in mine but I have not heard pinging when not. Detonation is tricky with the variables as a 11-12:1 compression is pretty high for say your average car. Not so much for a bike it seems.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:23 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Ethanol-free gas

seek and you shall find

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

looks like you have one in Spokane and one in Spokane Valley.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
seek and you shall find

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

looks like you have one in Spokane and one in Spokane Valley.

Cool. Between those two I think I can keep things filled up. I drive right near the Spokane Valley one on Thursday each week and the other is not to far from my path at least once a week so should be golden.

I think I fill up my 2.5 gallon tank in the garage as well. Maybe get a 5 gallon one too.

Thanks

Last edited by stephenmarklay; 04-06-2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:52 AM
drm
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Well, this is the kind of differing opinions you get on what we do with our bikes. While I'm more in the dirt oriented camp for the intended use of the KLX, there are others who want a bike mainly to be used on pavement. I guess this is what the "dual" in dualsport is intended to cover.
Right on!

Old 04-08-2012, 02:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Aside from riding conservatively, I suspect running a smoother less aggressive tread with a higher inflation could improve mileage a little also.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kojack06
Aside from riding conservatively, I suspect running a smoother less aggressive tread with a higher inflation could improve mileage a little also.
I doubt we will see any testing but the newest bread of car tires do increase MPG and the best still perform well. I am sure a better tread would help.

Although I would not want a pure street tire. I hit some dirt road yesterday with washboards. The grade on the hill is about 7-8% as well. I just buried the throttle and had a bit of fun!

Old 04-10-2012, 02:42 AM
1st Gear Member

I checked my mileage again yesterday, after installing the new pipe. Rode 90 miles on dirt/gravel roads... got 65.1 MPG. I'm not complaining.

Quick Reply: Boring -Maximize MPG