Sorry about being snippy here. I was just finished cleaning up cat throw up
Cats? That is why I have one of these.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ntender-36825/

Old 03-30-2012, 10:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cmott426
Cats? That is why I have one of these.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ntender-36825/

I never thought I would have another in the house. We have had several and one was great. The others were just cats.

My daughter now close to 7 was really wanting a dog. Bad. We heard dog this and that for about 6 months. Well that just was not going to happen with us an our lifestyle. We like to leave for the weekend or whatever and we have no family around. So now we have a cat. Its actually a spitting image of the one good one we had. So far its a good cat. Yes it does throw up now and again

The kids are very happy so oh well.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by gravel eddie
I like higher gearing on my KLR at times, sometimes I run a 16t on it and get 5-ish mpg better, and a less tiring long distance ride. I switch it back and forth depending on what I will be doing. The easiest way is changing the front sprocket - it is easy.

The KLX is my dirt bike so if anything I will be gearing down on it.

I get my counter sprockets from rockymt for under 10 bucks. Might be something you want to try, get a 15t and throw it on and see what you think. I have one from the KLR you could try on your KLX if you want. (I am assuming they are the same part for both bikes?)
Thanks a ton. I will buy one its not a big investment. I have a feeling a 15 would work for me. Having a nice cruise RPM is worth it. I will likely add a small windshield with a quick release also. That should make it decent.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stephenmarklay
I never thought I would have another in the house. We have had several and one was great. The others were just cats.

My daughter now close to 7 was really wanting a dog. Bad. We heard dog this and that for about 6 months. Well that just was not going to happen with us an our lifestyle. We like to leave for the weekend or whatever and we have no family around. So now we have a cat. Its actually a spitting image of the one good one we had. So far its a good cat. Yes it does throw up now and again

The kids are very happy so oh well.
No need to explain, just messing with you.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:49 AM
red
1st Gear Member

i was getting about 65mpg with a slip on, 09 sf when I lived up in utah about 4800ft. now that i'm in Texas at 2800ft with the snorkle removed and a 120 dj added to it i'm about 62mpg and struggleing to hit 78mph. could hit 83mph before.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:16 PM
1st Gear Member

These bikes suck for mpg and there is no good excuse for it.

Big huge honkin BMWs and KLRs with much more capable engines and much higher weights are well above 50 mpg.

I had an XL200 that would do 100 mpg. I just don't see where the fuel is going on the KLX.

MPG is important for many reasons. Range on the small fuel tank is a big one. Also is commuting, I ride the bike to work when it is warmer and the fuel consumption becomes a convenience issue as well as a cost issue.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:41 PM
1st Gear Member

For sure they are not great compared to some other similar similar displacement bikes. Part of it compared to say a nice cruiser is the high seat position and frontal area. Although that excuse only goes so far as some similar bikes do better. Not a super efficient beast but better than most cars around town. At least in the city/urban it is really good compared to most cars. Highway it becomes less of an advantage.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by red
i was getting about 65mpg with a slip on, 09 sf when I lived up in utah about 4800ft. now that i'm in Texas at 2800ft with the snorkle removed and a 120 dj added to it i'm about 62mpg and struggleing to hit 78mph. could hit 83mph before.
Higher altitude => less air => needs less fuel. That was on 85 octane too, correct? I bet you miss the Utah gas prices too. Regular gas is still under $3.60/gal. here.

Before I installed my DynoJet, I emailed them first, to ask about setting it for Utah altitudes. The settings they recommended are VASTLY different from "normal" DynoJet settings. They had me use the Stage 2 setup, with a STOCK pipe and snorkel!!!

If you're running a DynoJet, I would *not* hesitate to contact them and let their engineers solve your issues. I consider that extra personal service as part of the price I paid for the DynoJet kit.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgoers
Higher altitude => less air => needs less fuel. That was on 85 octane too, correct? I bet you miss the Utah gas prices too. Regular gas is still under $3.60/gal. here.

Before I installed my DynoJet, I emailed them first, to ask about setting it for Utah altitudes. The settings they recommended are VASTLY different from "normal" DynoJet settings. They had me use the Stage 2 setup, with a STOCK pipe and snorkel!!!

If you're running a DynoJet, I would *not* hesitate to contact them and let their engineers solve your issues. I consider that extra personal service as part of the price I paid for the DynoJet kit.
I wonder if with the correct jetting and with filter mods and exhaust coupled with say a 15/39 if one could get better MPG than stock? Seems crazy enough but if torque is increased a bit to allow 6th gear cruising more it may pay off with steady speed. Besides it gives me something to experiment with

Old 04-02-2012, 08:28 PM
1st Gear Member

As lean as these things come from the factory; I cannot imagine eeking any more MPG out of them! Mine was so lean that the idle fluctuated when sitting at a stop light. Since re-jetting it, the idle is steady as a rock.

Quick Reply: Boring -Maximize MPG