bored in the city

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 11:36 PM
1st Gear Member
Default bored in the city

I was bored today as I am waiting to start my job in like a month or so. I took my bike and decided to do some exploring. I was able to get down onto the banks of this big drainage canal and gave me access to place I've never seen. I found an old abandoned grave yard in this weird secluded wooded area, just over the side of the canal. Found these old *** bridges that seemed to go no where, I wonder how long they have been there. Also I found this totally disused paved bike trail, which was in rough shape. Followed it for a while and came out behind a building right close to where I live. I never knew any of this stuff was even there!.

Also took the chance to try out my GPS on some geocaching. I need to get some maps for it, because it was like way off... I didn't find any of the caches either.

Just bored, thought I'd post my explorations. Probably shoulda brought a camera...

Old 05-11-2009, 11:46 PM
1st Gear Member

That's pretty cool. I've been doing sort of the same thing. Just taking trails and roads to see where they go. After some exploring on google earth, I found a dead end road that continued on through the woods for about 2 miles. It connected on the other side to another dead end road on the other side of town. I took the bike out there and it turned out to be a great trail system. There were all kinds of branching trails but I stayed on the main one. It was great. I took my GPS with me and downloaded the track to google earth when I got home. One cool thing about google earth is that you can actually play the route back and it looks like you're flying above your route at about 100 feet.

I tried bringing my camera phone but was having too much fun to stop and take pictures. I came across a lake, some wild turkeys, and a sandpit. Use google earth before you go out and you'll probably find some new stuff.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:09 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

No pics?

Old 05-12-2009, 12:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Ha ha, now your going to have to go back and take pics.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Thats the greatest thing about a dual sport bike.. its like a bicycle when you were young, exploring anywhere

Old 05-12-2009, 12:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Yesterday was a nice day and I got bored too, as the wife had commitments and couldn't go ride. So I took off to an area we used to ride years ago. I found it wasn't exactly ok to ride there now.... but I found a way in. Since this will be the last time I took a couple pics.

To bad they are now building all around the place. The trails are still here - someone has been keeping them worn in. This place is about as far south as you can go in so cal....

Attached Thumbnails bored in the city-copy-905g.jpg   bored in the city-copy-905i.jpg  

Last edited by RaceGass; 05-12-2009 at 12:41 AM.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Its amazing all the roads and places I have seen just since riding a bike, I am truly appreciative of the experiences and its just cool man! I took a new rider friend who just picked up a Yamaha WR250 out on Saturday and hit three state parks and a few powerline trails, good times man!

Old 05-12-2009, 02:52 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by revtor
Thats the greatest thing about a dual sport bike.. its like a bicycle when you were young, exploring anywhere
+1, that's exactly how I have felt for the last 3 years. It's like I'm re-living my childhood......oh wait I never grew up.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Agreed!

Old 05-13-2009, 11:41 PM
1st Gear Member

I know, I know, deej. :P

I looked up some places on google earth like armycopter does and I found a few potential spots. I'm gunna go tomorrow and I'll get some pics of the kinds of places there are... If I can find my camera

Quick Reply: bored in the city