Boots 50/50(shortys) or full boots??

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 11:28 PM
1st Gear Member

This type of riding Mav https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=25678 . I can only justify the cost of one pair of boots, so they will have to handle the good and the bad. I would have to buy them for my worst case scenario riding situations, crashing through the woods or bouncing off rocks. Thanks for the tip Magoo, the guy at the shop gave me some pro's and con's on the hiking boot (ATV)soles. He said just what you did about having a hard time positioning your foot just where you want it with the waffle soles, but he also said if you are off your bike trying to pick it back up, or get it un-stuck they sole might give you more grip. I think the benefits of the smooth sole outweigh those of the waffle sole.

Last edited by dan888; 11-17-2008 at 11:35 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:43 PM
1st Gear Member

I love my thor 50/50s, they get worn on all my toyz street or dirt

Old 11-18-2008, 06:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Personally I think a full boot is the go for anything like that sort of riding, however I have a set of Fox Trackers and I would NOT recommend them. They are very stiff to start with (mine took ages to break in) and I have lost 2 of the straps off them. In my opinion they should not be able to fall off.
I haven't used Sidi's but I believe they have a good reputation. I bought a set of these they are comfortable walking in them however I haven't ridden with them yet.
Reading a portion of this website it seams Setup boots are made by Sidi.
"Apparently, Setup boots are made by Sidi, probably the best-known (and most respected) motorcycle boot manufacturer in the world. According to Motonation, the U.S. distributor for Sidi and Setup, Sidi decided to manufacture a "mid-level and economy" line of boots using the Setup brand."
Good luck with whatever you go for

Old 11-18-2008, 12:17 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I have a set of Thor Quadrants and i could wear them all weekend, they are comfy...and have a ton of protection. I love them, i got the atv sole so when im off the bike its not like im on ice skates when in mud...I wont ride offroad without them. and im used to shifting and breaking now... takes some gettin used to. Those boots have saved my legs a handful of times... ever get hit with a baseball size rock in the shin?

Old 11-18-2008, 05:27 PM
1st Gear Member

+1 on the Sidi Discovery's, this is probably the best boot to own if you can have just one pair, they are fairly easy to walk in and comfortable but offer great protection for the street and off-road.

I wear Sidi Scorpions on my commute although they are of little value on the trail, but are easy on and off.

If money's tight you may also want to look at the Gaerne Explorer.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:19 PM
1st Gear Member

EMS do you notice the ATV sole fitting funny on your pegs? Magoo (and the guy at the motorcycle shop) brought up a good point about the ATV waffle soles. They both noted that the tread in the bottom of the ATV boots sometimes sometimes "locks in" in the wrong spot because of the way the pegs and boots fit together. Everybodys different, and it may bother some more than others, I'm just wondering if you have noticed this? Thanks Dan
edit I ask because I'd like to have the waffle sole for when I'm off the bike.

Last edited by dan888; 11-19-2008 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Guys,

I have a pair of Sidi Chargers and I really like them, the first time that I put them on they were a little stiff but not to bad but they have more than paid for themselves. I am sure that I would have at least a couple of foot injuries if I had not had them on!

So just ask yourself what are your feet worth? Most people will answer a lot, so buy a good pair of boots and invest if your feet! They take you everywhere

Dennis