bolt broken

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 11:53 PM
1st Gear Member
Default bolt broken

I would have taken a picture but my girlfriend just left and has the camera. But today I was coming home from riding on my track and I was coming up to a stop sign and noticed I just got a nail in my front tire so I stop. My grandparents house was just a block away so I walked it over there to fix it. I took the wheel off and everything and got it fixed alright. I took the wheel back over to my grandparents to put it back on the bike and I didn't bring my torque wrench but I was tightening down the nuts on the front axle holder and one of the top bolts busted off. How can I fix this??

Attached Thumbnails bolt broken-front-fork.jpg  
Old 08-31-2008, 12:21 AM
1st Gear Member

My way....

Id see if there is enough head on the bolt to spin back out....Light light torch heating and a flat head screwdriver...Some wd/40 and the bolt should spin right out...

Or a nice new super small drill bit...then the easyout with a tee handle......

Rocco

Old 08-31-2008, 12:41 AM
1st Gear Member

But isn't the "bolt" part that broke on it part of the bottom part of the shock itself, the right part of the picture. Because it's just the treads that stick out from there then the axle holder goes on and then a nut. It seems like it would be a whole part of the inner fork assembly PN 44013-1388
Am I understanding this right?

Old 08-31-2008, 12:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Depends on how much of the broken bolt is left to work with. If you can't get a pair of vice grips on the broken bolt to unthread it, you can have someone with a TIG welder to weld another bolt to the broken one to unthread it. Usually heat from welding breaks free any loctite that may have been used. I highly recommend this if the bolt is too short to remove using other techiques.

Good Luck

Old 08-31-2008, 12:43 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jaylaudeman
It seems like it would be a whole part of the inner fork assembly PN 44013-1388 Am I understanding this right?
No, those are "studs" and they thread out of the lower fork.
Someone else on here did the same as you and I think they replaced them with something better... I can't remember now - it was a long time ago.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:49 AM
1st Gear Member

So I should be able to unthread that one out and couldn't I then replace that with just a bolt and I wouldnt need the nut?

Old 08-31-2008, 12:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Not recommended but yes you could use a bolt in place of a new stud.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Ooops man!
That looks tricky.
The threads holding the stud in may be left hand, they may be right hand.
Easy enough to replace IF you can remove the stud from the lower leg without any damage to the lower leg itself.
Good luck.
You could try 2 nuts locked against each other on the undamaged stud. Gently try to remove the stud. Clockwise/anticlockwise? If you manage to remove the undamaged one, you'll at least know which way to turn the damaged one to remove it.
If you know which way to turn it you, or someone with a welder, can spot weld a nut to the top of the damaged stud and just use a spanner to remove it. Easy.
Source some new stud replacement, fit it up, job done.

TIP: Best not to weld anything while it's still attached to the bike. Remove the fork leg totally before welding.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Is there a PN anywhere for replacement studs? I didn't see any listed. Why would just the bolt be "not recommened"?

Old 08-31-2008, 01:07 AM
1st Gear Member

You have to make sure the BOLT is fully threaded into the lower fork leg (I suspect 6 turns at least) and at the same time torqued up to the correct figure against the pinch clamp. Difficult. If you get the bolt all the way in to the fork leg I guarantee you wont have it tight enough against the pinch clamp. If you have it tight against the clamp (shorter bolt) I'm sure the bolt be be 'shallow' in the fork leg. (Dangerous)
That's why it's a stud not a bolt.

Quick Reply: bolt broken