Bogging down and stalling

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 12:29 AM
Default Bogging down and stalling

Hello all, I'm a new KLX250S owner as of last week. I picked up a mint 2006 with 200 miles on it. I open up the choke and it starts right away. I have to let it warm up quite a bit before I can turn off the choke, which seems to be the norm from what I've read. However, when I give it a bit of gas, it bogs down and will stall out if I don't back out of the gas.

I know the bike has been sitting for some time, soI suspectit might have some "bad" gas left in the tank, or perhaps agummed up carb.I'll try to drain the tank when I get a chance, but I was wondering if anybody has had similar issues, or some suggestions on how to diagnose and fix the problem?

BTW, any other Austinites out there?

Old 11-26-2007, 01:18 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Bogging down and stalling

Hey, Craig,
If it's an '06 with only 200 miles, the carb could certainly have varnish building inside. You could try a bit of Chemtool or other quality system cleaner first. If it doesn't help. it's time to pull the carb and scrape out the jets. Spray cleaning with carb cleaner has a marginal effect if the varnish has hardened much. Use a welding tip cleaner to physically clean out the jets.
While you're there, there are a number of mods you might want to do to your carb. Check the archives by searching carb mods and the like for details.

It's a bit of fuss to pull the carb first time, but once you've done it a few times, you'll become adept at the routine. Most of us can pull our carbs in under five minutes. Some in half that.

Have fun.

Bill Dragoo
Norman, Oklahoma

Old 11-26-2007, 03:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forum. When it boggs and stalls, is it before it has fully warmed up? If I let the chokeoff to soon it will idle on its own but when I hit the gas it will also bog and/or stall. Once it gets a little warmer or if the choke is on I can rev mine fine. Mine is worse in colder weather, but seeing your from TX I don't think cold weather is your problem. Like Bill said though, if you do have to go into the carb read up on doing some mods when your in there. I would also drain the gas and put some fresh in it.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:59 AM

Jeff,

The symptoms you describe are identical to mine, it sounds like I might just need to let it warm up longer. Usually its warm in TX, but its been in the 40s here for the last few days so that might be making the problem worse.

I'll probably end up yanking the carb anyhow just to inspect and clean it. I can't leave well enough alone, I'm a habitual tinkerer.

Thanks,
Craig M.

Old 11-26-2007, 04:09 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

new plug clean filter

Old 12-03-2007, 01:42 AM

So I tried a few different things, changed the plug, checked the filter (which was squeaky clean), and replaced the gas, none of which made a difference. I ended up yanking the carb and giving it thorough cleaning, which solved the problem. There was a noticablebuildup on the needle, which I suspect was the main source of my problems.

Although I can't say for sure, I suspect that the guy I bought the bike from opened up the carb and improperly re-installed the needle. When I started to put it back together the way I remember disassembling it, it didn't seem to make sense, so I just winged it until the pieces of the puzzle made sense. This might also explain whythe engine wouldn't rev past 4K rpm.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Now that you've pulled the carb you can do the mods and really open her up

Old 12-03-2007, 02:25 AM

ORIGINAL: hokie01

Now that you've pulled the carb you can do the mods and really open her up
+1
No sence in cleaning those jets, might as well order a jet kit, or get a 125 main and a 40 pilot, then shim the needle up a hare (shimmed mine 1.5mm), also drill out the plug and screw out the fuel screw out to 2.5 turns. That should take care of the issue.

I worked on Kawi's for a while, these engines are cold nature as set from the factory, even when the ambient temps are up.

Good Luck............theres TONS of info here and lots of good folks to help with a question or three!