Blurry and Crystal Clear Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 06:58 AM
Default RE: Blurry and Crystal Clear Mirrors

Mine don't seem too blurry. I guess it's something I come to expect from a thumper. My BMW 1150R also gets blurry over 70mph, but I just installed some heavier bar weights so that should help.

I do have the Acerbis "touring" hand guards. Those add some weight to the end of the bars. I also have a pro taper oversize aluminum bar. I think it thansmitts only higher frequency vibrations... but at a lower amplitude, so the they are a little blurry but still useable.

Old 05-16-2006, 02:44 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: motoguy128

Mine don't seem too blurry. I guess it's something I come to expect from a thumper. My BMW 1150R also gets blurry over 70mph, but I just installed some heavier bar weights so that should help.

I do have the Acerbis "touring" hand guards. Those add some weight to the end of the bars. I also have a pro taper oversize aluminum bar. I think it thansmitts only higher frequency vibrations... but at a lower amplitude, so the they are a little blurry but still useable.

Well I'm pretty sure the vibrating image on the mirror is from the engine not the tires. I'm going to mess around with the mirror adjustment to see if I can get the left mirror crystal clear like the right one.

BTW, motoguy, on the R1150R, the right mirror should be very clear. The left one almost as clear as the right one and if it isn't the cylinder's syncro is off. I have a twinmax and it's great for that.

Old 05-18-2006, 07:35 AM

You're probably right about my R1150 being out of synch. I just bought the correct set of feeler gauges to check the valve clearances and a twinmax to synch the throttle bodies. I think it's definitely off a little. IF I had to guess, I think the cable on the right TB is a little tighter than the left since the exhaust shows slightly more blue on that side indicating that it's running a little leaner. I'm going to try and work on it Friday night or Sat. morning.

I changed all of the fluids last night. I don't think the previous owner did anything since the 600 mile service (it now has 13,000 miles). I'm guessing the plugs are OK and the valves are porbably on the loose side since my mileage is very good. I got 48mpg on a 300 mile round trip with a passenger and luggage mostly cruising a steady 65-70.

OK, OK... no more BMW talk, this is a KLX forum.

FYI - the mirrors on the KLX are not symetical. One is mounted directly to the bar, while the other is mounted to the lever assembly.