Blown 351 head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 01:28 PM
1st Gear Member

how many miles did you have on it before it failed?

Old 01-28-2012, 03:21 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dragone#19
I prefer to check and re-torque after the heat cycles on break in. I do that on all of my engines and pumps. For a quick proof to this, I checked in my 05 KLX400 and DRZ 400E manual of re-torquing the head bolts prior to a compression check. pg 2-27 periodic maintenance. The same is mentioned in my 76 KE 250 engine maintenance section. Pg 126

I do not have a KLX 250 manual so cannot provide any recommendations or proof for that ride. However, I would verify and re-torque after the heat cycles anyways. Besides, after seeing what new gaskets look like from the pictures above.....The engine needs all the help it can get for a long and leak free life.

edit: I also prefer using the permatex copper spray to line the new gaskets on assembly for better sealing and heat transfer.

bummer on the blown gskt lockie666
Yeah, there's never anything wrong with rechecking head bolt torque, but I still think later metalurgy, bolt design, gasket material, etc. has led to the ability to bolt-on and forget. Don't take my comment as a diss' to rechecking torque. I'm just somewhat convinced that this isn't as necessary as it used to be. Unless he torqued the cylinder and head improperly in the first place, I'll bet bolt torque had little to do with this failure. That's not much material in that head gasket, but apparently it's held up well on many 351 kits up to this point, so it's probably not a major issue when done properly.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:36 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
I definitely used a generous amount of copper head gasket goo on my rebuild, but did not retorque..... yet.
Some of my comments here sound argumentative to all the suggestions here, so don't take it that way...just bringing up other points of view about retorquing and even the use of gasket sealants in some cases. Many head gasket applications are intended to be used without any chemicals and are often even stated as such. You'll get many professional engine builders to differ on this issue, often on the same application. I'm not claiming to know the absolute answer here, but I've pretty much quit using chemicals on automotive and motorcycle head gaskets, and I have never had a leaking or blown head gasket that I assembled. It's been the rare case where a manufacturer was very specific on the type and method of use of a particular head gasket chemical where I used it.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:02 PM
1st Gear Member

I have to agree that using any extra chemical/sealant on the head gasket is not needed. I was told not to by Bill himself after asking if I should use anything on that gasket. Initial torque of 15 lbs then going to 22 lbs is what the manual says on those head bolts.....

If the compression was being raised significantly then yes I would use a thin coating of my favorite sealant.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:34 PM
1st Gear Member

I got this in the mail today, took three weeks to get here.

Name:  adsadsacxzxzczxccxz.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  150.1 KB

I don't know why this gasket is bent up like that, I have hammered it lightly to try level it out. again another suspect gasket.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:56 PM
1st Gear Member

I wouldn't run that. That's just asking for trouble.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:01 PM
1st Gear Member

BTW what was the reason it took so long to get?

Old 02-20-2012, 01:33 PM
1st Gear Member

hmm ... these gasket problems are kinda shying me away from the 351. Looks like cometic needs to get their crap together.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Looks like a defect that may have occurred by being bent in the mail ??? If it had been bent, even slightly, the fiber would return to normal with no mark but the metal would kink up like that.
Dan

Old 02-20-2012, 11:53 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
Looks like a defect that may have occurred by being bent in the mail ??? If it had been bent, even slightly, the fiber would return to normal with no mark but the metal would kink up like that.
Dan
Agree...looks more like a shipping issue than a manufacturer issue.

Quick Reply: Blown 351 head gasket