Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 03:45 PM
1st Gear Member

ok I will have to look when I get home

Old 09-07-2011, 04:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Here you go

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...weights-35049/

I started another thread detailing the whole conversion to a non-flat (non-teubliss) tire situation also.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...imlocks-35029/

Old 09-07-2011, 04:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Thats great, thanks

Old 09-07-2011, 04:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Just ordered I went with the motion pro liteloc. Says it only weighs 1.2oz for the front 1.6 size

Old 09-07-2011, 08:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
I have almost 11K miles on my bike and got my first flat last sunday. I spun the tire on the wheel. Last night i installed a rear rim lock and new tube.
Are you sure that spinning the tire on the rim was the initial cause of the flat?

On tires without rimlocks, it's not uncommon to get a puncture first, leading to an initial loss of pressure or total flat; if you don't notice to loss of pressure/flat right away, you may proceed to spin the tire on the rim, ripping off the stem in the process. It's easy to miss the initial puncture when the torn stem is so obvious. Either way, rimlocks can be a very good thing.

Now off on a tangent. I've also been involved in a flat repair where the puncture was super obvious (a 20d nail), but the stem problem was missed initially (though equally as obvious). It was a large group ride and another rider got a flat rear; we scrambled to get the flat repaired in a hurry; got partway through prepping the tube for a patch before I realized that the stem was totally gone. Duh! I guess when something is completely gone, you're more likely to miss it. Plans rapidly started to change... Incidentally, no rimlock on that bike (though you might think a 950 adventure should have them )

Old 09-08-2011, 09:41 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lutz
Are you sure that spinning the tire on the rim was the initial cause of the flat?

On tires without rimlocks, it's not uncommon to get a puncture first, leading to an initial loss of pressure or total flat; if you don't notice to loss of pressure/flat right away, you may proceed to spin the tire on the rim, ripping off the stem in the process. It's easy to miss the initial puncture when the torn stem is so obvious. Either way, rimlocks can be a very good thing.

Now off on a tangent. I've also been involved in a flat repair where the puncture was super obvious (a 20d nail), but the stem problem was missed initially (though equally as obvious). It was a large group ride and another rider got a flat rear; we scrambled to get the flat repaired in a hurry; got partway through prepping the tube for a patch before I realized that the stem was totally gone. Duh! I guess when something is completely gone, you're more likely to miss it. Plans rapidly started to change... Incidentally, no rimlock on that bike (though you might think a 950 adventure should have them )
No im not sure the tire spinning was initial cause. But there wasnt anything in the tire. I was riding some pretty nasty single track, Pro racers cut these trails in. They are insane.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BillMoore
I'll second the Tubliss setup. I've only got about 650 miles on mine so far, but I'm now at the point where the only time I bother to check my air pressure is when I want to change it (i.e. airing up from trail pressure to street pressure). So far the system has been flawless.

I'm using these wheel weights to balance for the rim lockers:

Hey Bill, where did you get your spoke weights? Got a link?
Thanks , Dan

Old 09-10-2011, 03:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
Hey Bill, where did you get your spoke weights? Got a link?
Thanks , Dan
I bought them from this guy on ebay:

REUSABLE SPOKE WEIGHTS - RIMLOCK KIT

If you look at his other items for sale, he has other options. That is his largest kit, and it ended up being way more weights than I needed. I put 3 of the 1 oz weights on each wheel, directly opposite the rimlock, took it for a test ride, and it ran smooth all the way to 80 mph, so I called it good.

Had a pretty good wobble at about 45 before adding the weights...

Edit: he shipped really fast, I had them in my mailbox about 2 days after I ordered them!

Old 09-12-2011, 11:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BillMoore
I bought them from this guy on ebay:
REUSABLE SPOKE WEIGHTS - RIMLOCK KIT
Thanks Bill! Some of those sets are pretty high! In my infinite cheapness I may try to fab some up. The local HD pirate shop didn't have any.
Dan

Old 09-13-2011, 12:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Crimp-on-the-line fishing weights. Bob's your uncle!

Quick Reply: Blew my front tire again