Blew my front tire again

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 07:52 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Blew my front tire again

Once again I got another flat tire on the front This is the second tube that has gone on me. But the good news is I was still using the factory front tire and now I have a good reason to get the track master 2 to match with my back tire. I also ordered some super heavy duty motocross tube to go with it so hopefully this will solve the problem.

Anyone use rim lockers? Is this something I should look into or is that more motocross use?

Old 09-06-2011, 08:02 PM
1st Gear Member

How did the tube fail? Torn tube stem, or pinch flat, or puncture, or???

I use rim locks. Put them on after blowing a brand-new heavy duty ($18) tube on a newly installed rear tire and running around 13 psi. The tire slipped on the rim and ripped out the tube stem. Did your tube fail the same way? If so...consider the rim locks. The rims on my '06 even had holes available for rim lock install.

Your tires will then be out of balance. I simply purchased some stick-on weights and applied them opposite the rim lock, using the same weight as the rim lock. They are not perfectly balanced, but before the weights it was terribly uncomfortable on the street above 45 mph.

Last edited by IDRIDR; 09-06-2011 at 08:05 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:11 PM
1st Gear Member

First time was a small hole on the tube. I assume something punctured the tire. This time it is torn at the valve stem which would seem like the tire would have to move on the rim for that to happen but?? I can see the back tier maybe sliding because of hitting the throttle and such but how would the front tire move on the rim? Seems unlikely

Old 09-06-2011, 08:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by seth6025
how would the front tire move on the rim?
Hard braking. Low air pressure could also contribute to it slipping.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiskeyTF
Hard braking. Low air pressure could also contribute to it slipping.
Yup. What pressure are you running? Sounds like rim locks should be part of your future.
BTW, the nut on the tube stem is not supposed to be tight against the rim.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:16 AM
1st Gear Member

+1 everything IDRIDR said. I learnt the hard way.

I had a back stem tear and installed a rimlock. Then my front tore braking hard on a beach. Installed rimlock, no dramas since. You really do need them running anything under about 15 psi in my experience. Plus there is already holes in the rim for them.

I fitted them, plus new tube myself, and like IDRIDR just fitted pinch weights on the spokes. Just back the brake off, have the bike off the ground and keep spinning the wheel until you get it balanced (that is not stopping at the same point each time). Crude, but works.

Without rimlocks you normally get some warning on the the stem being ripped through the tube spinning on the rim. Back the nut off on the stem and you can see when its starting to move.

I'm now running the thickest tubes I can get my hands on (the type that don't even look like they need air), rimlocks and about 14psi. Don't see myself going through the pain of changing a tube 50 kms from home in the rain again.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:51 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't do flats. I refuse to change them on the trail and have ridden the last 70 miles of a 107 mile enduro race on a flat front.

Repeat after me. Heavy duty tube, rimlock, slime, and above average pressure. I will keep it above 18 psi for the best chances of never getting another flat.

Of course you need rimlocks. Every dirtbike has them, the holes are already there even.

Slime is a no brainer and will seal 1/8" (or was it 1/4") punctures.

A flat tire can ruin your ride and maybe even be a safety issue if you blow out at 80 mph.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:18 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

And there's always the Neutech Tubliss. I've been using it since August of '09 without any issues. I'm fixing to install my 4th rear tire and 3rd front tire from just wear. Punctures from cactus, mesquite, and nails have all been sealed by the installed sealant without one flat or chronic air loss. And pinch flats and stem rips are just about impossible. It's been a totally trouble-free item over many miles of hard use and let's you use more traction-friendly air pressures for off roading.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:01 AM
1st Gear Member

I'll second the Tubliss setup. I've only got about 650 miles on mine so far, but I'm now at the point where the only time I bother to check my air pressure is when I want to change it (i.e. airing up from trail pressure to street pressure). So far the system has been flawless.

I'm using these wheel weights to balance for the rim lockers:

Name:  DSC00570.jpg
Views: 976
Size:  51.4 KB

Old 09-07-2011, 11:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Well I guess I will be getting some rim locks. I was running about 14psi.
I will prob just take my rim in and get them to put it on and ballance it for me...for the first time anyway. I will have to look into Tubliss system also. Would be nice not to have to worry about it at all. Thanks for the input.

"BTW, the nut on the tube stem is not supposed to be tight against the rim"
------Really? Is it just suppose to touch the rim? I had it snug. I did not know this

Last edited by seth6025; 09-07-2011 at 11:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Blew my front tire again