Blew my compressor

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 04:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by T_i_G_e_R
off topic, but I just decided to service my 1984 eurospec 280SL mercedes air conditioner, put r34a in an r12 ac system.. well.. guess what.. my compressor seized up. It is going to cost a few grand to fix this one.. Im going to get soaked by the local mercedes guru..
The R-134 wasn't the problem. You over charged the system. Fortunately the compressor didn't seize.

Ron

Old 07-19-2011, 04:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007 Green Machine
Before you put the 134a in, did you do a complete evac of the entire system. Some people think by pushing in the valve stem is all you have to do. The proper way is to use a pump to clean out the whole system. Then you need to intall 8.5 oz ( average size can )of oil charge with o-ring conditioner before you put in any 134a. Did you put the 134a in with the can up right, or upside down? If you put the entire can in with it upside down, you will seize your compressor as it will get to cold way to fast. The best way is to alternate. I prefer to use Interdynamics because it's very easy to use. I do this on the side and it usually takes about 45-60 min. per car when done right.
Hmmm. There is a bit of misinformation here.

The purpose of evacuating the A/C system is not to "clean out the whole system." It is to remove moisture that may be present in the system. It does that by lowering the pressure and allowing the moisture to boil out.

Oil should never be indiscriminately be added to an A/C system. If an A/C recovery machine is used to recover the refrigerant then any oil that is removed is measured and can then replaced. Otherwise you are just guessing.

I'm not going to rat you out, but you should know that the EPA can fine up to $37,500 per day for "pushing in the valve stem" and venting refrigerant to the atmosphere. You probably don't have to worry too much, though. They mostly go after shops. Hopefully, they didn't read your post...

Just so you know, I am MACS (Mobile Air Conditioning Society) certified. MACS certifies professional A/C technicians and A/C equipment repair technicians. Hobbyists can be certified, too.

I own a business here in Arizona. Among other things, we are a factory repair center for almost all of the A/C recovery machine manufacturers in the Unites States.

You might consider going to the MACS website:
MACS | Home

They have training information on how the A/C systems work and how to properly recover, evacuate, and recharge A/C systems.

Ron

Old 07-19-2011, 08:48 PM
1st Gear Member

@ T_i_G_e_R: I have no comment on AC systems or refrigerant, but since we are off-topic, I’d like to congratulate you on your fine choice of vintage German cars; I LOVE the R107s.
I once owned a 1976 BMW 2002. It was one of the most fun vehicles I have ever driven. It was also extremely well designed & built. It had no AC, but the ‘smoker windows’ more than compensated!

Old 07-20-2011, 12:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Still running R12 and it will freeze your AZZ off.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Tiger you should ask your mechanic to check to make sure you didn't blow a seal. I can't look at the thread title without thinking of this joke.

The joke is funny, but the monkeys are 10 times funnier.
Dan

‪Monkey Bar - Penguin Blew A Seal‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-20-2011, 04:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ranger Ron
Hmmm. There is a bit of misinformation here.

The purpose of evacuating the A/C system is not to "clean out the whole system." It is to remove moisture that may be present in the system. It does that by lowering the pressure and allowing the moisture to boil out.

Oil should never be indiscriminately be added to an A/C system. If an A/C recovery machine is used to recover the refrigerant then any oil that is removed is measured and can then replaced. Otherwise you are just guessing.

I'm not going to rat you out, but you should know that the EPA can fine up to $37,500 per day for "pushing in the valve stem" and venting refrigerant to the atmosphere. You probably don't have to worry too much, though. They mostly go after shops. Hopefully, they didn't read your post...

Just so you know, I am MACS (Mobile Air Conditioning Society) certified. MACS certifies professional A/C technicians and A/C equipment repair technicians. Hobbyists can be certified, too.

I own a business here in Arizona. Among other things, we are a factory repair center for almost all of the A/C recovery machine manufacturers in the Unites States.

You might consider going to the MACS website:
MACS | Home

They have training information on how the A/C systems work and how to properly recover, evacuate, and recharge A/C systems.

Ron
You may want to go back and reread what I posted. I never said I push in the valve stem. You are right about the moisture thing, I wasn't going to go into full detail becasue I didnt' think it was required. No misinformation was posted. Also I didn't think it was against the law to "HELP" people out. I never said I took any money or made any gains. These kits are sold at WALMART so if the epa was that concerned then they should stop allowing places to sell them. Don't mistake what I'm saying. I care about the envirment very much and I think everybody should do their part in protecting it.

Last edited by 2007 Green Machine; 07-20-2011 at 04:32 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ns503
Actually I think he tells everyone he has a chance to - and he's not making any money off it. He likely could if he undertook replacing/repairing the broken systems for big bucks, but he doesn't. The fine print in the packaging might advise to evac, but the way the kit is marketed (as a complete DIY thing that only takes a few minutes in the back yard) is pretty misleading. I'm talking a bit over my head here though, since I have never bought or tried to use one of these kits - and it's been a year or 2 since I was talking to hima bout this. Not sure if the situation is the same in the stores with them or not. Hmm, might have to do some browsing here & see if things have changed.
Again I agree with you 100%. The instuctions are very misleading. Even if you don't evac the system you should still be ok. People use these kits all the time. Some people have succes and some don't.