Blew my compressor

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 08:28 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Blew my compressor

off topic, but I just decided to service my 1984 eurospec 280SL mercedes air conditioner, put r34a in an r12 ac system.. well.. guess what.. my compressor seized up. It is going to cost a few grand to fix this one.. Im going to get soaked by the local mercedes guru..

Old 07-17-2011, 09:59 PM
1st Gear Member

FEW GRAND???

Junkyard...or if you need AC hop on the klx

Old 07-18-2011, 12:17 AM
1st Gear Member

ouch, i dont know if theres a difference between the euro and us compressor but i would think not. few grand sounds way off, that must be to rebuild the whole system cus is contaminated now. for that price, find a used 2011 sls motor and make the sl a beast.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Before you put the 134a in, did you do a complete evac of the entire system. Some people think by pushing in the valve stem is all you have to do. The proper way is to use a pump to clean out the whole system. Then you need to intall 8.5 oz ( average size can )of oil charge with o-ring conditioner before you put in any 134a. Did you put the 134a in with the can up right, or upside down? If you put the entire can in with it upside down, you will seize your compressor as it will get to cold way to fast. The best way is to alternate. I prefer to use Interdynamics because it's very easy to use. I do this on the side and it usually takes about 45-60 min. per car when done right.

Last edited by 2007 Green Machine; 07-18-2011 at 04:57 AM.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:17 PM
1st Gear Member

No I didnt do it the right way.. so I brought it to the local radiator guy here and he said its not seized.. he emptied the system and charged it with r12.. then the compressor had to be hotwired to start .. it works fine now..

Old 07-19-2011, 12:39 AM
1st Gear Member

A local A/C service guy here (I think he's about the best tech/mechanic in my area actually) has a very big bone of contention with these do-it-yourself A/C refreshing or recharging kits (or whatever they're called) that the big box stores are selling. He said he's had in lots of people who more or less ruined their whole system with the stuff.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ns503
A local A/C service guy here (I think he's about the best tech/mechanic in my area actually) has a very big bone of contention with these do-it-yourself A/C refreshing or recharging kits (or whatever they're called) that the big box stores are selling. He said he's had in lots of people who more or less ruined their whole system with the stuff.
You are 100% right. However the instuctions clearly tell you that you need to evac the entire system. To buy the pump is another $400. If you don't follow the instuctions you will have problems. Your Tech/mechanic knows this but will not tell people so he can make a buck. That's just the way it is. I've serviced over 300 cars with the $35 kit from walmart, not sold in wisconsin, and have never, I repeat never had anyone complain. If you use the evac pump you should/will have great success unless there is a major propblem.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by T_i_G_e_R
No I didnt do it the right way.. so I brought it to the local radiator guy here and he said its not seized.. he emptied the system and charged it with r12.. then the compressor had to be hotwired to start .. it works fine now..
Good to hear that it's working. Not sure where you live but here in Wisconsin we are going through a big heat wave right now so A/C is a must for me. Some people can do fine with out it, but I can't.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:11 AM
1st Gear Member

yea here too its 95 and humid.. took the beast out for a drive this am... all the windows fogged up which is a good sign.. crispy cold air flowing love that r12 !!

Old 07-19-2011, 11:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007 Green Machine
You are 100% right. However the instuctions clearly tell you that you need to evac the entire system. To buy the pump is another $400. If you don't follow the instuctions you will have problems. Your Tech/mechanic knows this but will not tell people so he can make a buck. That's just the way it is. I've serviced over 300 cars with the $35 kit from walmart, not sold in wisconsin, and have never, I repeat never had anyone complain. If you use the evac pump you should/will have great success unless there is a major propblem.
Actually I think he tells everyone he has a chance to - and he's not making any money off it. He likely could if he undertook replacing/repairing the broken systems for big bucks, but he doesn't. The fine print in the packaging might advise to evac, but the way the kit is marketed (as a complete DIY thing that only takes a few minutes in the back yard) is pretty misleading. I'm talking a bit over my head here though, since I have never bought or tried to use one of these kits - and it's been a year or 2 since I was talking to hima bout this. Not sure if the situation is the same in the stores with them or not. Hmm, might have to do some browsing here & see if things have changed.

Quick Reply: Blew my compressor