Black rims on red 09

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 03:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Mike & KLXRida that exactly the info i was looking for! this weekend i can source and purchas my rims and hopefully be on the road by next weekend!

Old 04-01-2011, 05:22 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

No problem. Since you've never laced a wheel before, maybe this will help you out...

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...oration-31657/

Before taking your stock rims apart, measure the offset. Put a straight edge against the rotor, and measure the distance between the straight edge and the edge of the rim. Unlike bicycles, motorcycle rims are almost never centered on the hub. Once you get your new rims installed and trued, take this measurement again, then turn the left or right spokes to make it match. The offset with the new rim should end up being pretty close, but it never hurts to double-check.

If you're just changing the rims and keeping the stock spokes, here's another tip. Before taking anything apart, use some masking tape and tape the spokes together wherever they cross. Then take the nipples off and wiggle off the old rim, but leave the spokes in the hub. When you put the new rim on, just line up the holes in the rim with the spokes. This way you won't have to figure out which spokes go where.

Last edited by mustang; 04-01-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:22 PM
1st Gear Member

One rim arrived, bolt head on fork stripped. Bummer.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Damn ive tried everything to get this bolt out, tried vice grips, dremaling a grove for flathead screwdriver and got a both extractor too but none of my bits will drill a whole in this bolt. Anyone have experience removing one of these bolts.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:17 PM
1st Gear Member

A picture of the offending bolt would help us help you. Can you get a pair of vise-grips on it? An excellent penetrating oil like Kano-Kroil will help. Some also swear by PB Blaster oil. Heat will usually help but I wouldn't try any more than a heat gun on the fork there.
Let's see what you're working with.
Don't start swinging with a hammer if you get frustrated.
Patience and persistence will usually win out.
Dan

Last edited by dan888; 04-18-2011 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Illking
Heres a previz incase anyone was curious what a red 09 would look like with black or gold rims.

Are these actual pictures or are they photo shoped. The left hand guard is in the same postion in all 3 places on the siding of the building. Also the valve stem is in exactly the same position on the front wheel in all 3 pictures. If they are all real pictures how do you get the bike back in the exact same position for all of the pictures. I love the look of the gold wheels.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Yah I photoshoped it so i could see what my options were. I wish i had a set of wheels in each color

Old 04-21-2011, 04:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Like I said above. I think the gold wheels look great. I'm sure not all people agree, but if I had a red bike that's what I would go with.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:34 AM
1st Gear Member

I think the gold would look good on a green bike as well.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
I think the gold would look good on a green bike as well.
I don't want to hijack this thread but I would love to see a picture if it's out there.

Quick Reply: Black rims on red 09