black rear rack

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 06:35 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: black rear rack

i actually got the acrebis tail light off ebay for 13$ and the turn signals for 17$... the turn signals are the 3 wire type to be on all the time like the tail light but i just cut that wire off, and used the correct two... i like the turn signals alot, the whole piece looks black until the light is on, the flash on the camera kinda hides that. Ebay is great for little goofy things like that...

ebay item- my turn signals

acerbis tail light, i always check ebay..

Old 09-03-2006, 07:09 AM
1st Gear Member

I was thinking about putting a little more weld on the signal mounts and painting mine wrinkle finish black or something like that ..... I like it

Old 09-13-2006, 10:44 PM

EMS,

I am thinking about blacking my rack as well. Exactly what kind of paint did you use? I just called Advance Auto Parts and they have a spray bedliner kit, but it is a whole kit and goes for almost $60. I'm thinking that this is a something a little more advanced than what you used. Actually, this is probably the stuff that Nobrakes referred to. So anyway, what primer and paint did you use?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 09-13-2006, 11:16 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I was talking to a guy at my work about painting it black, i asked him first if he had any black paint, he said no but i have this stuff i get off a friend of mine thats kinda like chip guard, so to answer your question, i dont know exactly what it was..lol... all i did was grind off the welds and just use regular primer to cover up bare metal, then gave it to him and he gave it back to me the next day like that!! Hell depending on how hard undercoating gets that stuff would work... you could just use a black matte finish spray paint, i wanted something a little less scratch prone...

Old 09-13-2006, 11:20 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

The stuff I referred to was mentioned by bmwhd in another context. In that case, he had used some of it to coat the aluminum fan bracket that I made for him as a replacement for the stock fan. We had to remove our stock fan in order to get the IMS gas tank to fit. I left my bracket bare aluminum, but Todd painted his with some tough bed-liner type material that comes in a spray can like the usual spray paint. I got the impression it was not terribly expensive, though - I thought he mented getting it at Walmart or similar or maybe I'm just imagining that.

Old 09-13-2006, 11:31 PM
1st Gear Member

I do some firearm refinishing on the side and I use this stuff. It takes some surface prep and you have to heat cure the painted piece when you're done, but it's a very tough finish and will look great for a long time compared to any rattle can finish.

Willum
TC