Black plastics solution???

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 11:32 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Black plastics solution???

Yup. I like the black, too.

I think I'll try the RIT dye thing and let you know what happens. If it's a mess, I'll just cover it up with Fusion...

Old 07-02-2007, 07:47 PM

Great black look. I painted the stock green hand guards, but added some tape to mask off the center stripe so that was left green, was thinking about the same on the front fender with it's raised "ridges". The side panel mightlook great like that, too. Maybe I'll find out...

PS - looks like you could use a thicker anti-theft chain!

Donnie

Old 07-05-2007, 03:31 AM

A friend of mine painted his wifes quad w/wal mart paint for plastic 2 years ago. still looks good.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Turns out paint may be the only option. As an experiement I tried RIT dye on the stock handguards and it didn't take at all. Not positive what the bike's plastics are made out of, but it's something the dye can't bite into. Oh well... we try.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shrumple
Turns out paint may be the only option. As an experiement I tried RIT dye on the stock handguards and it didn't take at all. Not positive what the bike's plastics are made out of, but it's something the dye can't bite into. Oh well... we try.
BLACK PLASTICS

You need a large pot . RIT Dye needs to be in boiling in water to get it to adhear to plastic , watch out for melting.. you'll also need a wire to hang them from.Im going to do mine. I'll start with the hand guards,...I'll let you know how it turns out. You can always go darker with the RIT DYE , you just cant go lighter. If something is white you could go red then blue ,then black . You cant ever get it back to white thou. Ive done plastic RC car parts theres lots of stuff on youtube ,with dying plastics with rit dye and it works great, sometimes if there used parts they dont work well ,just never tried on large scale,like a front fender,you cant even scratch it off,if you tried,it soaks in ! Post all results..

Last edited by Roscoe; 10-08-2011 at 01:17 AM.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:46 AM
1st Gear Member

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...s-black-24476/

Sorry I didn't catch you sooner. Been there done that. Didn't work for me either.
Dan

Old 12-31-2012, 05:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Not all plastics can be dyed. I've done many different types on RC car parts as well. You do not need the water to be boiling. In fact, it's best not to. In my experience you will likely get one of two results. If it is going to work it will work well. If it isn't then you will end up with wet parts and the dye solution will simply bead and roll off the parts. However there is the rare occasion that it could leave a mottled stain on the parts. If you really want to do it I would suggest cutting a small section out of the rear fender near the seat. Someplace it won't be noticed.
I am looking for a complete set of plastics that I can cover in carbon fiber fabric. If I get a set soon I will try a piece of the plastic in the Rit dye solution.

Last edited by Pedrowitus; 12-31-2012 at 05:13 AM.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:33 AM
1st Gear Member

I wanted black side panels on my 2011 klx so I cleaned them down with prepsol (a solvent used by spray painters to remove silicone ,grease etc) before spraying a few coats of plastic primer then a few coats of black gloss acrylic paint about 6 months ago and to date have had the paint bond well with no scratches etc appearing despite quite a few rides in the bush on single trail ...total cost was $22.00.....hope this helps those wanting to do the same