binding throttle tube!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 10:28 PM
1st Gear Member
Default binding throttle tube!

Just put my new rally pro handguards on! They look pretty cool!! And if my fingers get smashed with these on , I probably shouldn't have done whatever led to it!Anyway ,my question is , sinceI put them on my throttle binds bad enough to stay wherever I twist it. Has anyone else had this prob andhow did you fix it?

Old 12-04-2007, 10:32 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: binding throttle tube!

Yep, she's pretty finicky... A few things:
1) loosen off the two screws for the throttle tube housing - does it help?

2) check that the two halves of the housing are seated tightly against each other, and that the cable is not binding inside.

3) make sure the plastic guide inside the throttle housing is oriented correctly
(hard to put into words, but it's tricky getting that thing back together "just right")

4) make sure you didn't pinch or otherwise route the throttle cables wrong

Old 12-04-2007, 11:25 PM
1st Gear Member

If you just put on new hand guards and everything was fine before, check to see if the throttle tube or grip is rubbing the hand guard.If so loosen the throttle and move it forwarda little so there is no rubbing.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:41 PM
1st Gear Member

I checked to make sure nothing was rubbing anywhere and didn't see anything. Even loosened the guard and moved it out some.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Po-mans cruise control??

Old 12-05-2007, 02:19 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Kawi Wawi

Yep, she's pretty finicky... A few things:
1) loosen off the two screws for the throttle tube housing - does it help?

2) check that the two halves of the housing are seated tightly against each other, and that the cable is not binding inside.

3) make sure the plastic guide inside the throttle housing is oriented correctly
(hard to put into words, but it's tricky getting that thing back together "just right")

4) make sure you didn't pinch or otherwise route the throttle cables wrong

If nothing is rubbing, something is misaligned,the cables are in a bind or both. It's not to difficult of a system but if you had the throttle apartcheck above, especiallynumber 3. It is usually the culprit.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Also, if you over tighten the "push" cable that will throw stuff out too. There is a balance between setting the slack in the push/pull setup. Most likely its that the push cable is not in the guide properly, I always had a heckuva time getting the throttle assembly back together right the first time.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Just did this on the weekend, had the same issue, I found that the plastic throttle tube (under the grip) when I cut the hole in it to fit the end of the barkbusters wasn't big enough and was somehow snagging, I cut this nearly all the way out, could probably slice the whole end off, after this was back to normal, I did plenty of testing and all is O.K

Cheers
Chris.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:40 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I sawchris take his throttle apart in FL.... so i made sure when i put my new bars on i didnt take it apart, i just loosened it and slide it off and slide it right back onto the new bars, Nates throttle was apart in NJ too, that thing is messed up, i couldnt figure out how to put it back together, but i didnt take it apart to see how its supposed to go either...... Good luck.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:41 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

If you only need 1 cable for a throttle, why did kawi put 2 cables on anyway, is it a safety feature?

Quick Reply: binding throttle tube!