Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 05:24 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: bill's front brake line

ORIGINAL: Shadetree

ORIGINAL: Divodave

How much benifit has been reported?
I guess one has to decide for himself how much it helps, but I like the stability I got from mine.
I'd describe it as subtle, until you need it, and then there's now doubt that it is working. The main effect that I've seen is that if you are flying down the trail and hit an angled root or rock, instead of deflecting the wheel sideways, it will deflect mostly up and over. I've noticed it helping at slow speed too while going over rock garden type terrain it's a lot easier to stay on track, you are not fighting the bars so much.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:23 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

ORIGINAL: Divodave

How much benifit has been reported?
I guess one has to decide for himself how much it helps, but I like the stability I got from mine.
I'd describe it as subtle, until you need it, and then there's now doubt that it is working. The main effect that I've seen is that if you are flying down the trail and hit an angled root or rock, instead of deflecting the wheel sideways, it will deflect mostly up and over. I've noticed it helping at slow speed too while going over rock garden type terrain it's a lot easier to stay on track, you are not fighting the bars so much.

I mentioned to a couple of old timers in my riding club that I was considering getting a stabilizer. Both discouraged me from installing one. Their main argument was that when you did need to turn the bars really fast and often, it opposed the movement, reducing control and increasing rider fatigue.

I figured I would spent the several hundred bucks elsewhere first. Eventually, I may end up finding out for myself, but currently, its not high on the priority list. But if the next bike comes with one installed, I probably won't immediately remove it either.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:10 AM
1st Gear Member

any reported problems of the brake line hitting the tire. seems like over bumpy areas the line could bounce into the tire.

Old 01-11-2008, 04:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Wow. Sorry to blast through the original thread here, but one more time...
Dan, Bill's stabilizer isn't all that expensive. Probably under two bills if he finds one worth the money like the one he found for me. That's under half what a Scott would cost...even if it would fit with the Clarke tank. As for steering stiffness in the slow stuff, yes, you can feel it some, but the benifit seems to outweigh any negative effect. At speed, especially highway speeds, it's like giving the bike a mood modifyer, making it much more managable and easy to relax on while riding.

Now, back to your regular broadcast...

Bill Dragoo
Norman, Oklahoma

Old 01-12-2008, 01:00 AM
1st Gear Member

I think the 'old timers' that Dan is speaking of are assuming that any stabilizer you get will dampen thoughout the steering range in both directions. Not so with the off-road W.E.R. It only dampens on deflection FROMcenter, not during return. Also, it only dampensthrough somany degrees of deflection (something like 20) and gradually tapers off the dampening as the endofits range is reached... I think technology has advancedbeyond those old timers' frame of reference.

Wow. Sorry to blast through the original thread here, but one more time...
Dan, Bill's stabilizer isn't all that expensive. Probably under two bills if he finds one worth the money like the one he found for me. That's under half what a Scott would cost...even if it would fit with the Clarke tank. As for steering stiffness in the slow stuff, yes, you can feel it some, but the benifit seems to outweigh any negative effect. At speed, especially highway speeds, it's like giving the bike a mood modifyer, making it much more managable and easy to relax on while riding.

Now, back to your regular broadcast...

Bill Dragoo
Norman, Oklahoma

Old 01-12-2008, 03:02 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dmar

any reported problems of the brake line hitting the tire. seems like over bumpy areas the line could bounce into the tire.
yes the line does rub on the tire to the point that it was putting a hole inthe clear plastic coating on the lineso i ended up taping about six inches of plastic hosing to the line. it also rubs so i have to retape it every now and then.don't let that deter you though cause the line is worthit.