Bill Blue 331 safe engine RPM?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 04:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by janov7613
Just to update, now that i have the stock bore back on, the bike is not giving me problems which i had before. I recently did a 1200 mile ride and enjoyed it very much. it is good to have a trouble free bike. however, i do have some concerns which i hope someone can advise me on.

firstly i am not sure about the jetting of the bike, the set up was done by the tech and i am unsure that when he switched from the 331 Big Bore to the stock bore if he did any adjustment to the jetting. when i collected the bike he was still filling coolant and engine oil. when the bike could start, i just rode it off, so i am not sure if there were any changes to the jetting.

during my ride, i notice a few things :

1) I got around 50MPG while on highway use, going flat out on the throttle (cruising around 125km/h or 77mph at 7000RPM). When on smaller roads with more turns, i get around 55MPG. Are these gas mileage considered normal for the KLX with my riding style?

2) While going flat out on the highway, it was a struggle to go higher than 7000RPM, i changed the gear setting to 15/39T from stock gearing of 14/42T, is this normal or is there problems with the jetting? When i was on stock bore, stock gearing and using the fuel injection, i could rev up to 9000RPM easily but now, i could probably pull 8000RPM on a downhill and with some tailwind. Is the limitation of the RPM caused by the change of a taller gearing or i need to fine tune the main jet?

Looking forward to your advise
With 15-39 gearing, I'm sure it is quite normal for the stock-motor KLX to struggle at highway speeds. Even with stock gearing it doesn't really have the power to properly pull sixth gear on highways. If the "RPM limitation" is only in 5th or 6th gear at high speeds, then it's just normal low power (although I can't comment on specific jetting for your carb, and you should definitely make sure you have it jetted properly for the stock bore). If the motor still doesn't want to rev out in the lower gears, then you have a problem. Try going wide open throttle in second or third gear; if it still struggles to get past 7k RPM then something is definitely wrong.

As for fuel economy, with my 331, I've gotten about 45 mpg around town, 53 highway.

Last edited by kj7687; 07-02-2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Hi, i really just need to rant for a bit about the problem i am having with the 331 Big Bore Kit which i ordered from Bill Blue. Maybe this problem is caused by me being quite a distance away from the states. Anyway, as most of you know, i installed the 331 Kit and there were problems with the dry sleeve leaking, i sent back the faulty unit and i did not receive any feedback from Bill about receiving it despite me sending him 2 emails informing about the delivery and asking whether he received it. I called him earlier and he told me he sent out a new cylinder head with the piston i sent to him. I was shocked that he did not informed me about all this until i called, for me, this is one of the worse customer service i can think of. he did not even explained to me what went wrong with the cylinder head which i sent back.

i have to say, i have a huge regret now when i decided to install that big bore kit from bill. i was warned by many it was risky and now i have been proven wrong. what is worse is i have spent loads of money doing it and i am back to the stock bore.

i hope i can cut my losses by selling off the new cylinder head when i get it back. can someone advise can i advertise in this forum if i want to sell off that 331 kit? i will give a good deal and throw in extra top and bottom gaskets.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:21 AM
1st Gear Member

If you sell it, don't advertise it as a 'cylinder head'... it is not a 'cylinder head'. It is a 'cylinder/piston'. Just say'in.
Modifing engines/moto's is not for everyone. Usually there is a little grief that comes with the 'joy'.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
If you sell it, don't advertise it as a 'cylinder head'... it is not a 'cylinder head'. It is a 'cylinder/piston'. Just say'in.
Modifing engines/moto's is not for everyone. Usually there is a little grief that comes with the 'joy'.
Thanks for the advice, once i get back the unit sent by Bill, i will advertise it as "Bill Blue 331 Big Bore Kit". Everything is new except for the piston which is used for about 1000 miles, the rest are new, even the rings are new.

I understand i took the risk modifying my bike but the problem i had with the kit was unprecedented, it was a leaking piston sleeve, i will just blame it on bad luck. I still have the option of installing the kit when i get it back but i dont have much confidence after what i went through and being so far away from the states, i think its better for someone closer to the states to do this kind of modification, its just too time consuming.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:34 AM
1st Gear Member

The 300 kit is more expensive because it uses a new cylinder head whereas the 331/351 kits uses a stock cylinder bored to fit the right piston. However because im located in South East Asia, the transportation cost has to be considered and also the time taken, i would not recommend it to anyone in this region to go with the 331/351 kit, it just takes too long to get things done if something goes wrong and that person have to be dependent on a supply chain that is way too far. For example i ordered the custom gaskets it takes more than 2 weeks to reach, then when i open up the head, there was problem with the sleeve and i have to send it back for inspection and it will easily be more than a month until i get the head back here. i just spent $50 yesterday just to send the cylinder head back to Bill to inspect.

Anyway, i rode about 100 miles yesterday on the stock bore but with the TM33/34 pumper carb and i am quite happy with the performance. The bike is no longer giving me problems and im happy with it. Only complaint is that i still need a bit more power gain for overtaking heavy vehicles. The 300 kit upgrade might do the trick but i need to sell the 331 kit first to get funds for that upgrade.

kj7687, losing engine oil at the rate of 1ml/mile is quite a lot. maybe synthetic oil is not suitable, try 15-50W semi synthetic oil.
I know someone in the Philippines who might be interested in your 331 kit. But these bikes are popular in Japan and Thailand. You should be able to sell it easily. Join up at ADV Rider.com; there's a huge KLX250 owner's thread there..

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107591

What country are you in?

Last edited by Richard Avatar; 07-10-2014 at 01:36 AM.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Richard Avatar
I know someone in the Philippines who might be interested in your 331 kit. But these bikes are popular in Japan and Thailand. You should be able to sell it easily. Join up at ADV Rider.com; there's a huge KLX250 owner's thread there..

Long term KLX250S review - ADVrider

What country are you in?
I'm in Kuala Lumpur, even though the bikes sold in Asia are manufactured in Thailand, however it is not as popular as GS or Versys or the new CB500X. But thanks for your advice, i have been a lurker in advrider for a long, some of the ride reports are great read, i will check it out.

Meantime, i do not want to commit to selling the 331 Kit just yet until i receive it, the last time Bill sent me the gaskets i ordered, the address was wrongly written but fortunately it reached me.

But when i do sell it, i will sell it at a bargain price.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:23 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm in Kuala Lumpur, even though the bikes sold in Asia are manufactured in Thailand, however it is not as popular as GS or Versys or the new CB500X. But thanks for your advice, i have been a lurker in advrider for a long, some of the ride reports are great read, i will check it out.

Meantime, i do not want to commit to selling the 331 Kit just yet until i receive it, the last time Bill sent me the gaskets i ordered, the address was wrongly written but fortunately it reached me.

But when i do sell it, i will sell it at a bargain price.
Well my 331 kit just arrived and I am going to pick it up now. It may be a few months before I get around to installing it though-I tend to spread the heavy mods out over time

Old 07-10-2014, 01:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Richard, did you get your AFR meter as well ?