Bike won't start in gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 11:45 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Bike won't start in gear

I had a pretty good get off last week off road and packed dirt pretty good in between my left hand guard and grip. Unpacked and rode on but noticed that twice later that day while downshifting in the trails my bike shut off as if the kill switch was tripped but it was not, and i know i didn't stall it, in fact it seemed pretty on time with pulling in the shift lever however i dismissed it at the time.
Today i found out that if i pull in the lever while in gear my bike gets no start signal unless it is in neutral and then it will fire up. So i fired it up and put it in first and put down the kick stand down which shut the engine off affirming that it is not the kick stand switch.
Does anybody have an idea of where to look on the clutch perch that may be the problem?

Old 11-05-2010, 07:24 AM
1st Gear Member

the bike has a switch so that it can only be started in gear with the clutch in. i would say that that switch or cables to it have fail from you little adventure or mud and dirt have cluged it up.

pull the left hand side off and take a look

Old 11-05-2010, 11:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Clutch switch on the left hand grip. Easy to spot looking from the bottom up.

David

Old 11-05-2010, 01:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Ya I had the same problem...little black pressure switch under your clutch lever. I actually broke mine off when I dropped it one time. Never did bother fixing it

Old 11-05-2010, 02:37 PM
1st Gear Member

You guys are talking about that little rectangular black plastic box with a little arm and spring that pushes against the clutch handle? If so, i see mine looks like it is intact so i will look at it closely and explore around it and check the wires later today. Thanks much for the input.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:58 PM
1st Gear Member

I broke mine clean off when I was changing to the Zeta levers. Thought about replacing it, but naw.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Vrede- So can you start your bike in gear now with the whole assembly gone? If so i may just remove mine if it's broken. Let me know if you had to reconnect any wires.
cheers.

Old 11-06-2010, 01:35 AM
1st Gear Member

You can also pull that kick stand switch off up above the carb, the wires just need connected and the switch is eliminated.

Old 11-06-2010, 06:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tabitchin
Vrede- So can you start your bike in gear now with the whole assembly gone? If so i may just remove mine if it's broken. Let me know if you had to reconnect any wires.
cheers.
I never bothered to take it off, so it only starts in neutral. This winter I am going to go through my bike and take all that safety junk off.

Off topic question, well kinda, what does the switch on the right lever do?

Old 11-06-2010, 06:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Brake light.

Quick Reply: Bike won't start in gear