Bike using oil?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 11:17 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default Bike using oil?

Ok yesterday i went to go for a ride and checked the bike before i left and there almost wasnt any oil in the sight glass....[:-] So i filled it up and lubed the chain, but it kinda concerned me.... before all my motor problems i dont recall it using that much oil.... I probably had 2 or 3 rides on the bike with out checking the oil cause it used to not use oil like that... guess i have to start checkin more. Makes me wonder if something isnt correct when they reassembled it.....[&:] Anyone elses bike use oil like that? When i went for a ride i went to my local riding spot and there was 2 kids on dirtbikes and one quad, and the quad was off and in the middle of a mud puddle... they asked if i could help them get it out.... they were all like 9-13 age range..... i said sure ill help. It looked like it was stuck good, so i go in and grab the front bumper and , thinking its really stuck, pull really hard, ive never tried to lift a quad, to my surprise i pick the whole front end up get both tires off the ground and almost knock the one kid over... so i move it a little then grab it again and just pull it right out of the mud hole it was stuck in, it was a2wd quad, these kids were lookin at me in amazement... lol.... was kinda funny. Then im just cruizing on the streets and i see a couple bikes ahead of me, so i catch up and the one in front is KLX!!!! So i follow them and the pull in toa resteraunt, so i stop too... the one was a suzuki sport bike, and the other was a '07KLX. I was lookin at it like wow, its was ALL stock..... except the bars. Got to BS'ing and his uncle works at the shop where i took my bike, he was the service manager.... lol..... he was just looking at my bike like wow... i said i wouldnt know where to start telling you what ive done.... i mean he even had that black hunk o junk hanging down from the rear fender....lol. He said his buddy has one and he is the only other one that he knew that had one.... The KLX was his only form of transportation...lol. It was cool seeing another one and talking to him... good ride, kinda weird too though.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:23 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Bike using oil?

I've had my bike appear low, and then after I put even a little oil in, it was over full, ALWAYS have the problem after I change the oil. Try tipping the bike side to side and see if it fills back up. 2wd quads are great for that, anything under 600cc in a 2wd and you can manhandle them. Especially considering they stand up on their own, when I bury the KLX its a struggle to A) get it out, and B) keep it upright while getting it out.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:52 AM
1st Gear Member

E, keep your eye on the oil consumption. If it continues, I don't know if I could put up with any more frustration like you have. I haven't had a minutes trouble with mine and wouldn't part with it for anything but with all the troubles that you have had I would be considering trading. Your bike is starting to sound like one of those one in a million "lemons"

Old 08-17-2007, 12:15 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Trading what? Trading it in on another one? mmmm

Old 08-17-2007, 01:02 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

Trading what? Trading it in on another one? mmmm
Well, yeaaah. Is there anything else? don't answer that.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, from what's been done so far, it sounds like either valve stem seals or the valve guides. Mine doesn't burn any oil...noticeably that is. I know your mechanic hasn't done anything to me personally, but I already hate his lying, incompetent ***.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:14 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

ok so next question..... what do i do go back and say "ya screwed it up agian, and its burning oil and its ur fault"?????

Old 08-17-2007, 01:53 PM
1st Gear Member

That might be tough to prove. I wonder if the warranty will cover if you bring it somewhere else and treat the problem as something totally separate from the previous ailments. I would desparately want to get out from under this moron...unless he subcontracted out to somebody competent [8D].

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

ok so next question..... what do i do go back and say "ya screwed it up agian, and its burning oil and its ur fault"?????

Old 08-17-2007, 01:54 PM
1st Gear Member

I can't believe this EMS, I'd be real pissed. Before you go back to the dealer run the bike a little more to make sure it really is burning oil. If it is make them fix it!!!

BTW I've been running the crap outta mine in this S. Florida heat, in soft sand, at mostly WOT, I still have not had to add any oil to my bike before an oil change. Except one time when I adv'd a 600+ mile round trip over a three day weekend through some cross florida trails and scrub. It did need a little oil after that trip but I could still see some in the sight glass.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:06 PM
1st Gear Member

+1 on making sure it is acually using oil. I'm pretty sure you know how to check your oil though.

My bet is that when he bent the valves, by setting the cam timing wrong (even though he won't admit it), he bunged-up the valve guides as well.

Quick Reply: Bike using oil?