Bike storage for winter- Full or Empty tank

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 09:50 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Both my bikes are always ready to ride... all year. None of this "oh my bike is in storage" when a nice day comes along in the winter....

Old 11-14-2012, 11:11 AM
1st Gear Member

+1 on starting it and riding once a month or so in winter. Even a 5 minute ride followed by running the carb dry keeps my battery charged and things moving. These bikes like to breathe cold air. Still on my original battery on a 07.
I do use sta bil year round, and will use ethanol free gas for the winter.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
Both my bikes are always ready to ride... all year. None of this "oh my bike is in storage"....
Ems, does that stand for Estimating Much Sun hahaha? None of this "when a nice day comes along in the winter" goes on. Every single day is nice, warm and rideable right out the front door of my ranch onto 1000s of kilometers of wooded trails..... Thus the bike in the united states should be properly prepped so that it can sit and is ready to ride when i return. If i was to come back in the middle of winter, lower the jack, unhook the trickle charger, open the petcock and start it, not much time would be involved in "unstoring" the bike.
If i still wanted to snowboard everyday here I would stabilize the gas and start it up once a week if i'm to busy to ride. However this thread was addressing gas sitting in the tank in a bike that does not get started often, not who thinks they can get their bike out of the garage faster than the next guy in the winter.
Any brother or sister of the klx riding chapter is welcome to come ride with us in Valle de Bravo, but you will need to either 1. bring your bike, 2. store your bike or have EMS come start if for you once a week while you are gone if it gets sunny hahahahaha. I don't mean to pick on you EMS, i can't help it today. Cheers

Old 11-15-2012, 12:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Change oil/filter......
Fill the tank full of gas with Sta-bil......run the bike a few minutes and turn off the petcock.
Let it run until it quits.....fire it again with the choke full on to clear the enrichment circuit.

Put a Battery Tender JR on it and then store it until spring.

The tank is metal and will rust with air/moisture...........completely full with fuel/Sta-bil mixture will not let rust start.

Last edited by buerkletucson; 11-15-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:57 AM
1st Gear Member

If you ride it once a week stabil is less improtant also.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:25 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tabitchin
Ems, does that stand for Estimating Much Sun hahaha? None of this "when a nice day comes along in the winter" goes on. Every single day is nice, warm and rideable right out the front door of my ranch onto 1000s of kilometers of wooded trails..... Thus the bike in the united states should be properly prepped so that it can sit and is ready to ride when i return. If i was to come back in the middle of winter, lower the jack, unhook the trickle charger, open the petcock and start it, not much time would be involved in "unstoring" the bike.
If i still wanted to snowboard everyday here I would stabilize the gas and start it up once a week if i'm to busy to ride. However this thread was addressing gas sitting in the tank in a bike that does not get started often, not who thinks they can get their bike out of the garage faster than the next guy in the winter.
Any brother or sister of the klx riding chapter is welcome to come ride with us in Valle de Bravo, but you will need to either 1. bring your bike, 2. store your bike or have EMS come start if for you once a week while you are gone if it gets sunny hahahahaha. I don't mean to pick on you EMS, i can't help it today. Cheers
Ive never done anything to "store" my bike over winter. Never put gas stabilizer in, never put it on a battery tender. Never have had any issues with it in the spring. I just run the carb dry, thats all the time though.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:17 PM
1st Gear Member
Unhappy

Ive never done anything to "store" my bike over winter. Never put gas stabilizer in, never put it on a battery tender. Never have had any issues with it in the spring. I just run the carb dry, thats all the time though.
That's because you don't have mandated E-10 gasoline.............
The states that do, like Minnesota, you better put in some Sta-Bil or your going to be working on a carb in the spring.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:27 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Our gas has up to 10% ethanol... has for a while now.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Both my bikes are always ready to ride... all year. None of this "oh my bike is in storage" when a nice day comes along in the winter....
+1 :-)

Old 11-18-2012, 05:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Riding at least once a month and parking with a full tank is the best trick. I don't drain the carb until I have to start the bike. I also leave the gas tap on (not vacuum) since it doesn't leak out of the carb, keeping the carb full, no dried residue in the carb and the one time I drained it, the darn float needle siezed in place and I had to pull the carb to clean and fix it.

If I can, I like to ride in the winter some time, but still I usually end up with a couple of months off (Jan-Feb or Feb-Mar). The full tank usually does fine without stablizer, but I still have used it.

Quick Reply: Bike storage for winter- Full or Empty tank