Bike storage for winter- Full or Empty tank

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 03:46 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Bike storage for winter- Full or Empty tank

Leaving the green machine alone for 4 months and riding the blue. I usually lift the bike, deal with the battery, drain the carb, and treat whatever gas i leave. The question is should i keep the tank pretty empty or fill it up so that there is no air in there. Im running a clear IMS plastic tank. Sometimes it fires right up when i return, other times i have to bounce and shake it until it starts up.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:58 PM
1st Gear Member

I am sure this will be a controversial method but this is what I do. Put in some gas stabilizer and run the bike for 10 minutes to get the stabilizer in the carb. Then top of the tank with gas when done. I do not drain the carb when in storage. I do drain the carb then refill it right before I start it again. I also run some fogging oil through the motor. When topping off the tank make sure there is enough room for heat expansion. If you fill it when cold, then the temp raises the gas will expand and run out the vent tubes.
A full tank is less of a fire hazard then an empty one. The gas fumes in an empty tank are more likely to catch on fire then liquid gas. A full tank means less oxygen for the fire to burn.
A full tank has less still air to collect condensation.
Sta-bil Stabilizer is what I use.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Why not run the bike dry and then store it?

Old 11-13-2012, 06:15 PM
1st Gear Member

I would leave it full, and make sure you run some Sta-Bil (the green ethanol formula) through it for a several minutes. What I normally do with my sleds is turn off the fuel and let it run out.

I'm going to just add some Sta-Bil to the fuel, and leave my bike as-is for the winter. It will go on the float charger, and I'll be starting it (maybe even riding it) about once a month. Same thing I did with it last winter...

Old 11-13-2012, 06:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
Why not run the bike dry and then store it?
A full tank is less of a fire hazard then an empty one. The gas fumes in an empty tank are more likely to catch on fire then liquid gas. A full tank means less oxygen for the fire to burn.

A full tank has less still air to collect condensation. That is the biggest reason or me.

Last edited by cmott426; 11-13-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the input. I think ill go full tank and stabilize. Besides the fire hazard, i don't know if these tanks change to yellow over time from the inner gas fumes or the sunlight but it is great see the fuel level easily.
Strange difference in fuel between the US and Mexico Pemex. They don't sell gas stabilizer at the moto shops or auto shops in town and my mexi bike and truck turn over pretty quick after sitting for months each and every time. But I have had some issues with the green after getting lazy on the gas stabilizer here in the states.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Though you have a plastic tank, my '06 KLX had a bad rust problem when I bought it. I replaced the tank since then, but will keep it full in hopes of keeping the rust out this year.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:57 PM
1st Gear Member

I drain the tank completely (take off the bike) then let it air dry with the cap open for a week or so to let the fumes and crap out. I then reinstall the dry tank back on the bike with the carb and fuel lines empty until the spring.

Been doing this for almost a decade on the ninja and not a spot of rust in the tank and about 3 years on the KLX, however, the bike also resides in a dry insulated building for the winter so that might have something to do with it.

Your mileage may vary.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:18 AM
1st Gear Member

I stabilize the gas, run it for a few minutes to make sure the stabilized gas is in the carb and fill the tank. I like to be able to start my bikes once a month or so even in the dead of winter.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:35 AM
1st Gear Member

I would avoid all that hassle and I do! Just ride it once a week, 1/2 hour will keep it going.

Quick Reply: Bike storage for winter- Full or Empty tank