Bike sits for a week, I have to drain the bowl

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 05:53 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Bike sits for a week, I have to drain the bowl

ORIGINAL: Kawi Wawi

I've been watching this issue and thought I'd post my observations...
I also experience hard starting after the bike sits... It happens in warm weather too, but worse in cold.
(My bikes never sit more than 2 weeks without me starting them).

I've noticed that with a certain technique, the bikes seem to start easier (my KLX250S and my wife's KL250 Sherpa - both 2006).
Here's my magic technique:

1) Enable the choke
2) Don't touch the throttle
3) Crank starter for 4 or 5 seconds
4) Stop and wait for 6 or 7 seconds
5) Crank starter for 3 seconds and twist the throttle just a hair
6) If no start, stop and wait for 4 seconds
7) Crank for another 5 seconds while giving just a hair more throttle

That's it. It usually does the trick. Just started them yesterday, and even though the batteries seemed to be a touch on the slow side (cranking the motor), they started with the above technique. Wadda ya think? Just lucky? Better Canadian gas? Magic fingers?

My 2c.
You left out that you have to stand on one foot and make sure all the stars are aligned, of course I'm just kidding, but that does sound like a lot to remember. I have noticed that with my bike it starts up pretty easily when the temps are above 40, and that's with the 40 and 132. However I will try your method next time I go to start the wife's bike, who knows....maybe its the perfect method. After all you can't knock it until you try it right?

Old 12-12-2006, 03:26 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Bike sits for a week, I have to drain the bowl

Hey deej,

How about trying what somone else mentioned about pulling the choke out to just before detent and holding it in place while you crank. It would be interesting to see if that is a trend among people who are running the #40 pilot jet. Enquiring minds want to know.

ORIGINAL: deej

ORIGINAL: Kawi Wawi

I've been watching this issue and thought I'd post my observations...
I also experience hard starting after the bike sits... It happens in warm weather too, but worse in cold.
(My bikes never sit more than 2 weeks without me starting them).

I've noticed that with a certain technique, the bikes seem to start easier (my KLX250S and my wife's KL250 Sherpa - both 2006).
Here's my magic technique:

1) Enable the choke
2) Don't touch the throttle
3) Crank starter for 4 or 5 seconds
4) Stop and wait for 6 or 7 seconds
5) Crank starter for 3 seconds and twist the throttle just a hair
6) If no start, stop and wait for 4 seconds
7) Crank for another 5 seconds while giving just a hair more throttle

That's it. It usually does the trick. Just started them yesterday, and even though the batteries seemed to be a touch on the slow side (cranking the motor), they started with the above technique. Wadda ya think? Just lucky? Better Canadian gas? Magic fingers?

My 2c.
You left out that you have to stand on one foot and make sure all the stars are aligned, of course I'm just kidding, but that does sound like a lot to remember. I have noticed that with my bike it starts up pretty easily when the temps are above 40, and that's with the 40 and 132. However I will try your method next time I go to start the wife's bike, who knows....maybe its the perfect method. After all you can't knock it until you try it right?