Bike is in the shop... I'ma go crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 10:18 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Bike is in the shop... I'ma go crazy!

AHHH I hate not being able to ride when its for work or weather... but not seeing the bike out the front window of the house! It sucks LOL. We park our bikes on the front patio (redneck much?) and its just natural to see mine right out the window. But its not there! Dropped it off at the mechanic to check / adjust my valves, take a peak at the crankcase vent hose and my leaky cam cover... he also banged my handlebars straight again for me before I left. I ALSO aksed him how much to put a kickstarter on he's gonna get back with me. He said he thinks its just a matter of taking off the clutch cover and I could do it myself but he said he'll research what (if anything) more is involved.

Guess I'll be practicing the guitar a bunch more, or going jogging, one or the other.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Sorry to hear the bike is in the shop.How many miles? At least you know it will be back soon! I think that your looking at around 275 for the kickstarter not counting labor. Don't quote me on that , but that figure seems to ring a bell from past queries.
redneck much?--- No not at all, mine stays in the shed out of the weather, but if didn't have a shed it would be parked right out front on front walk!!

Old 06-15-2009, 11:15 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hang in there bro!

Old 06-15-2009, 11:22 PM
1st Gear Member

How much they want to check and fix valves? I was told 2 hundo something. I said. "NO". I hate my shop so much, I think it's too much to call em up tomorrow and see if they can fix the helmet lock. I'm under warranty. HIGHWAY STUTTER BEGONE!!!!!!!!

Yeah right. They are going to blame my jetting. That or chain slack. What a joke.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Why aren't you guys checking/adjusting your own valves?? It isn't rocket science!

Ride on
Brewster

Old 06-16-2009, 03:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brewster
Why aren't you guys checking/adjusting your own valves?? It isn't rocket science!

Ride on
Brewster
It ain't rocket science but its far beyond my capabilities.

TWIMC: I've got almost 8900 miles (!!!) and the service manual says to check 'em at 7500. My bike is one year old this week, I'm sure its due for a shimming. He said it sounded like it is running smooth but he did have to hit the starter a second or two for it to fire even though I rode it over half an hour ago. Cool start trouble = tight valves.

This guy charged my dad one hour of labor to adjust his valves on the DRZ last year, something like 80 bucks.

The $275 sounds right for the kit... I, too, am not sure how much "labor" would be involved. The mech said it SHOULD be just a matter of pulling the clutch cover and installing the ratchet but if I remember correctly you also gotta put in the gears. He said he's gonna look it up and lemme know. He's a real nice guy, races in the international thingy, he's a B rider in that and an A rider in SERA if I remember correctly.