Which bike first? Dirt/Asphalt>

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 03:03 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

a used KLX on ebay can be had for $3000 or less easily. he is right though, they won't run close to that KX. you're looking at around 15 less horsepower at the rear wheel, but the KX can't cruise around on the road either. depends on if you want a dual-sport or a motocrosser. I'd go with a used '06 KLX. check craigslist.com in your area or ebay. good luck

Old 11-19-2008, 04:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RiverRacerX
So only 6 used KLXs in all of the country on cycletrader.com
I'd be willing to bet that more than 6 klx's are for sale in the us...just sayin

Perhaps your search criteria is a bit off, you know spaces and keywords.

Check other sites too, like advrider and of course Craig's List.

I'd get the 125 and get my childhood skills up first and then sell it...just sayin.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:00 PM
1st Gear Member

RiverRacerX,
As an example for the "used" KLX250 direction, I purchased an '06 at the end of July for $3,400 (and had to drive 200 miles to get it. . .not many used units in Wenatchee, WA). I was extremely disappointed with the power this bike makes. My '07 Yamaha XT225 felt as powerful as the new bike! However, I knew that the potential for more power, doing the various mods, would give me all the power that I need, right now. Engine mods, gearing mods, handguards, Kouba lowering link, etc. set me back another $1,000 for a total of about $4,400. That's a little more than I had bugeted for but now the bike makes as much power as I want (because I ride 95% off-road and I am fairly new to riding in the dirt) and the suspension of the KLX is far more substantial than my XT225. You will NOT be happy with a used unmodified KLX (especially in the dirt). Very low power and the gearing is crap!!! So, if you purchase a used '06, '07, plan on spending between $500 and $1,000 to make it perform as you'd like it to.
I feel that I have to say this. . . . I really like my KLX now, however I find that because my XT225 handles like a bicycle in the dirt, I tend to ride it more than the KLX. You are a little tall to be riding this little bike (the XT225) but they are a blast in the dirt and there are gazillions of them for sale on the used market. Keep in mind that they DO NOT have nearly as good a suspension set-up as the KLX.
Your decision really depends on how you will ride the bike and how much experience you already have. My choice, for right now, for me would be a used four-stroke KTM of about 250cc displacement which I could make street-legal. You should probably road-test SEVERAL bikes. . . .

Old 11-19-2008, 05:29 PM
1st Gear Member

If I get the KLX it is going to be new. Can anyone who has ridden both tell me if the new '09 suspension and gearing are much better?

I am still leaning towards the KX due to the price, but am searching for a clean CRF250X right now too.

I don't NEED to ride on the street.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:20 AM
1st Gear Member

I bought a mint ktm 525 (No lights or starter) for less than my KLX... It now has SM wheels, and dirt wheels, and street forks and brake, and dirt forks and brake (front) for about what I paid for the KLX.
Wish I did this the first time around.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Obviously your son isn't going to be able to ride on the street with you so a pure dirt bike will be a great option for you. Being able to ride on the street will be a huge plus for you though. I'm sorry you didn't like the KDX. Yes the suspension sucks on a kdx but the 06' and '07 kdx/klx frames are pretty much the same. The kdx has a removeable sub-frame on one side of the airbox but that is really the only substantive frame difference from what I can tell.

You really can't go wrong with the KX125 if you're gonna be riding off road with your son. Especially for the price you've mentioned. I usually ride my kdx when I'm with my son but when I've ridden my bone stock klx with him, I still have a blast. The suspension on the klx is better than the kdx. So each offers a different riding experience. Suspensions matter.
Good luck.

Mike

Old 11-20-2008, 02:31 AM
1st Gear Member

How do these bikes do jumping? How is the stock suspension? I am not looking to do triples anytime soon but I do like getting in the air.

FWIW: I am 37 and looking to get another 2 wheeler. I have not had my own bike for about 15 years. I rode the crap out of a CR125 when I was a kid and spent most of my childhood in the dirt. My last bike was a POS KDX200 that I called "the clacker" because when it landed it sounded like the frame was going to come apart.

My 10 year old has a KLX110 and I am ready to start riding with him instead of watching. I don't know how crazy I will get now that I understand fear and pain as an adult. Unlike when I was 16.

I also have a pimp Yamaha Rhino which has been the chase vehicle for awhile.

Just not sure if I want this DS or if I should get more of a race bike, like a CRF250(R or X) or something?

Thoughts?
I've done some light jumping without bottoming out on stock suspension. I am 200lbs and I did have both front and back compression clickers fully seated clockwise for maximum compression.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:16 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

If I get the KLX it is going to be new. Can anyone who has ridden both tell me if the new '09 suspension and gearing are much better?

I am still leaning towards the KX due to the price, but am searching for a clean CRF250X right now too.

I don't NEED to ride on the street.
I think I'm the only member here who have owned both an '06 and now an '09 KLX250S. I can vouch for the improvements made in both suspension and transmission. The suspension is much more firm and does not bottom nearly as easily however it will if pushed. The tranny is the best part, it shifts a lot smoother than the '06/'07 and 6th gear has been brought closer to 5th so it is much more useable at highway speeds. The shift star was improved thus the smoother shifting. The carb was tweaked on the '09 as well and I felt the stock bike made more power than my '06 did when it was stock. I actually went back to the stock 14 on my '09 after initially installing a 13. I have since went back to the 13 since it's easier to do wheelies with the 13. The '09 is a much nicer bike than the one it replaces, but at $4995 otd vs. around $3000-3500, I don't know if it's that much nicer. I prefer my '09 but if I had it all to do again, I would've never sold my '06 for a new DRZSM which is another story in itself, good bike don't get me wrong. Both KLX's are good bikes, just depends on if you want the improvements on the '09 or the cheaper and older design of the '06/'07.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:11 AM
1st Gear Member

The crf250's eat vavles for lunch. Not all of them but it was too much of a gamble for me to go get one. Go to TT and peruse some of the crf250 thread and you'll see what I mean. To get much air on a klx you'll need to drop some money into the suspension. Power wise you'll have a good time riding with your son but will be looking for a lot more if you go out with the fella's. you can keep 'em in site but you'll be hammering the bike to do it. The good thing is these bikes are near indestructible. Quite a few of us hammer the **** out of our bikes and they just keep going. I'd suggest getting a test ride before you buy one. Try that new wr250 too.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lcpl0331
The good thing is these bikes are near indestructible. Quite a few of us hammer the **** out of our bikes and they just keep going. I'd suggest getting a test ride before you buy one. Try that new wr250 too.
True dat....been beating the snot out of mine for 2.5 years and it still sounds like a sewing machine, including occasional hour long trips on I-95 at 9k rpms constant.....btw that muzzy header will start to glow red after 20 minutes.

I'm not sure the motor needs oil.

I forgot about the new street legal wr250 definately check that bike out.

Quick Reply: Which bike first? Dirt/Asphalt>