Bike cover for KLX250s

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 07:59 PM
Default Bike cover for KLX250s

Could someone please recommend a nice outdoor cover? I'm storing my bike outside of a garage situation for a while. Thanks!

Old 06-19-2013, 05:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Hello,
I posted a picture of the cover I made for my 09 in the pic thread. Page 137 post 1364. I own a canvas shop in Lake Tahoe and store my bike outside sometimes as well. The material I use is sunbrella canvas which is expensive but in my opinion worth it. It is guaranteed for ten years. I can make it most any color. The cover would be $300 plus tax and shipping from Ca. If you are interested let me know and I can get you some more info.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:06 PM

Thank you, I'm going to look at a few options and will let you know. I'll check out the photos.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:26 PM
1st Gear Member

I've never seen a cover specific to the KLX, but I'm sure you can Google it and find some universal ones. Material is important and you'll pay for one you want to keep. I have a trailer and have bought cheaper covers to have them start to deteriate after months. About 6-months ago I bought a high quality canvas cover and it is holding up just fine. I paid less than $300 for a custom cover made to my trailer's specifications. You shouldn't need to spend an arm and a leg.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:45 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I guess because dirt bikes aren't normally covered, they don't make many options. I ended up getting a full-sized road motorcycle "half-cover". It was just about right for the KLX. I only use it when out on one of my trips where it is likely to rain during the night while I'm camping in my van. I've been in some frog-choking rains in Colorado while back in camp in the late afternoon or during the night, and I like everything on the bike not getting totally doused all the time while I'm out camping. If you don't have a shop or garage, I can see the wisdom of having a cover. Big road bike half covers seem to work well for a dirt bike size.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Someone gave me a plastic bag used to cover a pallet of wood pellets during shipping. It fits pretty well and was free. Not glamorous but it gets the job done.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:32 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
Someone gave me a plastic bag used to cover a pallet of wood pellets during shipping. It fits pretty well and was free. Not glamorous but it gets the job done.
Cheap or free is good, but be careful of one thing. I've seen some plastic drop cloth or other tough materials used for a motorcycle rain cover end up chafing the paint, plastic, or other parts of a bike and end up looking rather bad. I saw this on quite a few bikes that came into the shop I worked at. While our KLX is hardly a "show-boy" bike, the instrument panel and plastics can get a real rawhide finish with the wrong cover...especially if you live around wind. Most all motorcycle covers are designed to try to prevent this.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:06 PM
1st Gear Member

I have a Nelson Rigg UV2000 HALF COVER that I use for day coverage. Works very well and has held up fine over the 2 years I've had it. It's not a full cover though, which is probably what you'd want...

Old 06-19-2013, 06:40 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm sure you can find some cheaper options that will do the job for you. I made my cover so that it can zip on over my racks, rotpax, and bags. If you have any questions regarding any material please ask.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:46 AM
1st Gear Member

I store my bike outside year around, I got this motorcycle garage and a tarp to go over it, very nice setup. Worth the money if you don't have garage space for your bike.
CycleDome PDK2000 8' Outdoor Motorcycle Cover Storage System : Amazon.com : Automotive CycleDome PDK2000 8' Outdoor Motorcycle Cover Storage System : Amazon.com : Automotive

Quick Reply: Bike cover for KLX250s