bike carrier for klx

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 08:30 AM
Default bike carrier for klx

i got one of those those carriers that goes behind your truck in your trailer hitch. the klx fits perfect. the rail measures 75" which fits the klx perfect. i think ill need a 2nd hand most of the time to hold to bike while tying it down. ill let yall know how it works once i tow it somewhere. keith

[IMG]local://upfiles/1328/31078A4E442B48F4864EC64ACAD335F7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-21-2006, 01:41 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: bike carrier for klx

Sweet, I want one

Old 02-21-2006, 06:14 PM

i ordered it off ebay. you can get them for around 130 and 30 shipping. 400lb capacity

Old 02-21-2006, 06:28 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Looks a lot easier than trying to load and unload from my truck in the bed. My truck is a 99 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 with the tow package and the bed is really high. I thought about getting the full folding ramp, but I think I will look into this single ramp on the receiver hitch. Right now the angle on my ramp is really steep, the guy at the bike shop when I picked up bike talked me into getting this narrow folding ramp (6') and I hate it. With this hitch mounted ramp, I could also pull my drift boat behind the bike.

deej

Old 02-21-2006, 08:38 PM
1st Gear Member

That is really nice. Sure does beat the heck out of trying to keep the bike from falling from side to side when loading it up in my big F-150. I just might have to break down and get something like that.

Old 02-22-2006, 06:00 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: klxstiffler

i ordered it off ebay. you can get them for around 130 and 30 shipping. 400lb capacity
wish we could get them here for that price

Old 02-22-2006, 08:05 AM

Hey Keith,
I've had a similiar carrier for a while, there great. Especially since I don't have a truck. I have a zr2 blazer so it works great for me. Its not a problem loading it by yourself. All you have to do is hook a tie down around the carrier hook. The one close to the truck that goes up to your right handle bar, load the bike on then while holding the bike in place, bend down grab the tie down and tighten it down a little around the right handlebar and your all set from there to let go of the bike and put the others on. I have a spare tire in the back that i can lean it up against, so its not a problem for me, you might have to balance it a little while putting on the other, but you'll be fine. It will be stable enough. I sold my bike a few weeks ago and got one more side job to do and i'll be loading the klx on soon. Can't wait. I'm 25 and feel like im thirteen all over again. Take care and have fun.......

Old 02-22-2006, 08:44 AM

Hey Keith,
I forgot to mention, Not to scare you but to just to give you the heads up. On my bike carrier I have a rod going across in the front and the rear. So I could get 4 tie down. Once I was going down the road and hit a huge pot hole and one of the straps popped off. So if I were you i would try to put an additional two pulling down from the rear of the bike. You might be able to fit the tie downs through the same hole, maybe have to drill bigger or at least put one through the rear rim strapped down around the carrier so the back end can't junp out. You should also think about those fork braces. Because you have to tighten down the straps real good and it really isn't good for the suspension. I new it was a problem for me with my old bike but didn't evan no about the braces till i started coming to this forum and by then it was too late. I think todd mentioned you can evan just cut a 2x4 to length, actually if you go back in time on the forum deej made a nice home made one or you could just by one for like $20 if your lazy.I think they will be great for the bike carriers. Once i get it im gonna try the braces. Just don't be in a big rush to get to the trails and you'll be fine. I know its hard....

Old 02-22-2006, 08:49 AM
1st Gear Member

you can use an oky strap as well as the tiedown to prevent the tie down coming off

Old 02-22-2006, 09:16 AM

thanks for the info, i had planned on using 4 tiedowns i just used 2 to hold it there for the pics i took. where can i find a fork brace your talking about?

Quick Reply: bike carrier for klx