BigGun

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 05:24 PM
1st Gear Member
Default BigGun

Whos got a BigGun exhaust and how did u set the jetting on yours?

Old 04-27-2007, 09:32 PM
JB1
1st Gear Member
Old 04-28-2007, 02:10 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: BigGun

You'll probably need about a #200 main with the Big Gun. You see, the ceramic coating fools the exhaust into thinking it's inside a vase, so it naturally wants to get out of there real fast. Better run without a lid too becauseyour airbox will implodedue to theextremelyhigh vacuum created by that mass exodus of exhaust.[8D]j/k

Oh, and the 'bark' will paralyze small amimals and strike fear into mail men for miles, so use your new found powers wisely my young appentice.

Old 04-28-2007, 03:31 AM
1st Gear Member

And don't forget that it is proven to make more horsepower than any other pipe out there.

Old 04-28-2007, 04:25 PM
1st Gear Member

dont let all the bashin turn ya off to this pipe..
ems eventually figured out that if ya polish the pipe with mothers the corrosion comes right off..i have this pipe myslf and love the looks and sound of it.. no problems so far. for whatever reason their seems to be a few on this board that try as hard and as often to sling mud whenever the word "big gun" is mentioned.. (maybe a subconcious hang up?)
anyways.. all the available pipes each have their own pro's and con's... just try not to get caught up in all the childish bs when ur pickin urs out. i usually try to avoid getting caught up in the special olympics online, but to be fair some1 definitely needed to reply here that has this pipe and hasnt had any issues.. their is alot of people that are happy with this pipe, but with all the bashin that is pursued with vigor here its turnin so many people off that no1 seems to be getting the chance to purchase the pipe due to just a few loud people moaning. g/l with whatever pipe u get.

edit: as implied above the sound is far from "paralyzing".. check here for a sound clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJu-XA2hLuQ

Old 04-28-2007, 05:31 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jsac

dont let all the bashin turn ya off to this pipe..
ems eventually figured out that if ya polish the pipe with mothers the corrosion comes right off..i have this pipe myslf and love the looks and sound of it.. no problems so far. for whatever reason their seems to be a few on this board that try as hard and as often to sling mud whenever the word "big gun" is mentioned.. (maybe a subconcious hang up?)
anyways.. all the available pipes each have their own pro's and con's... just try not to get caught up in all the childish bs when ur pickin urs out. i usually try to avoid getting caught up in the special olympics online, but to be fair some1 definitely needed to reply here that has this pipe and hasnt had any issues.. their is alot of people that are happy with this pipe, but with all the bashin that is pursued with vigor here its turnin so many people off that no1 seems to be getting the chance to purchase the pipe due to just a few loud people moaning. g/l with whatever pipe u get.

+1

Old 04-28-2007, 07:25 PM
1st Gear Member

As an "official" Big Gun owner, I'll stand up to bash it ... I mean "offer my opinion".

First off, the jetting - Just swapping the stock exhaust for a Big Gun, you could go with a #124 main. Changing the snorkle for a KDX and chaning the air filter for a Uni / Twin-Air, / etc. and you can go to a #128 main. Removing the airbox lid and a #130 or #132 is possible ... but all this also depends on your altitude, so these are just relative suggestions.

Regarding the Big Gun, I think it ranks up there fairly even with all the other KLX250/300 full exhaust systems. You have to consider other factors, such as Race Core vs. Quiet Core vs. Vortex inserts, however, which quiet things down a little at the expense of a little power. Its difficult to objectively compare a full exhaust system against different head pipe and slip-on configurations, though, without dyno results or a side-by-side comparison.

As far as the Big Gun product, some people have had issues. Personally, I've had no problems with the pipe itself, however I can attest to Big Gun's horrid customer service. Other people have had exactly opposite experiences. Although it's been less vocal on this forum, I'm sure there are Muzzy war stories as well.

Anyway, back to your question - Jetting is not a black & white setting that corresponds 1:1 to your exhaust system ... jetting is just one part ofan overallsystem, which needs to be tuned as a whole to optimize performance. That system includes: airbox configuration, air filter, backfire screen, carb settings, cylinder/piston, exhaust header, and silencer/muffler. Changing any one element on its own can improve performance, but getting optimal performance requireskeeping everything in concert with each other.

Hope this helps get you moving in the right direction!

Old 04-28-2007, 07:33 PM
1st Gear Member

What jsac said, the choice is yours and whatever pipe you get is way better over stock. I will also be the first to say that the big gun is overall a nicer looking pipe than the muzzy(except when it was on brians bike with the mx fender). I just like to poke fun at the exhaust topics because of how serious some people get at the topic. One thing about the big gun is, from what I read the customer service dept. is a little lacking.

Old 04-28-2007, 08:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Jsac, the pokes at Big Gun are for the one guy here that touts them like the second coming of Christ....and that's not you, OK?...lighten-up. I promise that if you poke fun at my tennis ball launcher, blender or even myoversizedmufflerI woundn't take it so personally.[8D]

You wouldn't survive one day at my worksite.

Quick Reply: BigGun