Big Gun vs. Little Me

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 02:18 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Big Gun vs. Little Me

(Preface: If you are thinking of buying a Big Gun product, you should know about the company that you might be dealing with, before you make a purchase. This is my experience with Big Gun and their "Customer Service" department.)

I'd like to tell you "If you're looking for a great after-market exhaust system for your off-road bike, you should buy a Big Gun exhaust ... I did, and it's great!", but I can't. I can't tell you that it's not great, either. I did buy a Big Gun exhaust system, but I can't tell you anything about it, because it doesn't fit my bike. It’s supposed to … but it doesn’t. A simple mistake was made and what I received was the wrong pipe, but it was mislabeled with the right Big Gun part number.

You’re probably thinking: “No problem – simple mistake, simple solution – just return it to Big Gun and have Customer Service exchange it!”, right? Well … not exactly.

After about 3 weeks of volleying e-mails, and photos, and phone calls, their General Manager just informed me today that

“ … sometimes we make mistakes, and our customers have to suffer because of it.”

To be continued …

Old 09-14-2006, 02:29 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Big Gun vs. Little Me - Part 2

This started when I ordered an exhaust system over the Internet from Bike Bandit, a seemingly reputable parts supplier. The product that I ordered was a "Big Gun EVO X Series Complete Exhaust System (Kawasaki KLX250 / 2006)". My bike is a 2006 Kawasaki KLX250H6F, and after scouring various KLX250 forums to get opinions and insights on the product, decided that it worked well for other KLX250 owners, so that's what I wanted.

I received the exhaust system a few days later, and did a quick review of the package contents to make sure that everything was in order (right part numbers, nothing missing, nothing broken, etc.), so I was all set for an evening of upgrading my bike!

The problem first appeared when I found that I couldn't get the head pipe bracket to fit over the cylinder's exhaust port studs. After closer inspection, I saw that the header pipe flange was not seated into the cylinder's exhaust port, and thought that's what was causing the bracket problem. I tried to wiggle the pipe around to get the flange to seat properly, but it kept bumping on various other parts (frame, cooling system hose, cylinder, oil line, etc.) and my next thought was "Man, those things are gonna be pretty dam close to a scorching hot exhaust pipe!!!". So wiggling wasn't going to work, then I thought that I could put the bracket in place and tighten the nuts to seat the head pipe flange. That was a no-go because it wasn't the flange not seating that caused the bracket to not fit, it was the bracket's holes not fitting over the exhaust port studs -- they were spaced about 1/4" too wide!

I remembered from various forums that some people had experienced poor product quality and fitting issues, so I thought, "Oh well, add my name to the list", and started figuring out how I was going to make this thing fit.

First thought that came to mind was to use the OEM exhaust bracket on the Big Gun pipe - I know it fits the exhaust studs, so maybe using that and tightening the nuts would seat the header pipe flange. Another no-go, because the OEM heat shield tabs were welded onto the OEM pipe, and for whatever reason, I didn't want to rip them off. I did a quick check of the Big Gun head pipe and found that its bracket wouldn't come off either -- the last 1/3 of the pipe has a larger diameter and the bracket wouldn't fit over it. No problem, I've got a Dremel Mototool and there's enough "meat" on the bracket - I can elongate the holes to get the bracket over the studs without weakening it too much. But not just yet!

I went back to the exhaust-flange-not-seating issue and was thinking, this shouldn't be that tight ... metal expands, and there's the copper washer to seal the exhaust gases, so something else is going on here. I got out my calipers to measure the flange diameter and compare it to the OEM exhaust flange -- it was 0.13 centimeters larger than the OEM pipe diameter! Not millimeters ... centimeters!! This was definitely way beyond an "interference fit" situation!!!

To be continued ...

Old 09-14-2006, 03:18 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Big Gun vs. Little Me - Part 3

(I'm going to fast forward over the next part and just hit the highlights)

- Can't figure out why it won't fit, I figure there's a difference between the Canadian and US models ... must be what the KLX250H6F vs KLX250S distinction is all about.

- Get all depressed, question why I ever came to Canada in the first place and got stuck with a "Canadian bike", then decided "Hell, might as well send it back" and take a sour grapes attitude: "I wasn't too thrilled about how loud it was going to be anyway.".

- Checked with Bike Bandit Customer Support about returns, thinking it’s not my choice, I'm returning it because it doesn't fit. They're response:

"Sure, send it back if you want. You'll have to pay for shipping and restocking, though. Our web site doesn't state that it fits the Canadian model"

CS Fault 1: Bike Bandit CS Reps were grabbing at thin air to avoid their responsibilities
- The Bike Bandit website doesn't say it fits the US Model, either, so that's an irrelevant statement.
- Although it was confirmed later, there is no "Canadian" model - bikes both in the US and Canada use the exact same Kawasaki exhaust part numbers, therefore the Big Gun pipe should have fit.
- Their return policy says that restocking fees only apply to OEM parts ... not after-market products.

- Check with Big Gun Customer Support to find out what the deal is with Big Gun and the "Canadian" KLX250S:

"Sorry I don’t think we build anything to fit that bike. THANKS"
CS Fault 2: Big Gun CS Reps aren't even sure of what they sell.
- Also no knowledge that there is no "Canadian" model

- So I'm thinking that I could spend $100+ on shipping & restocking fees, and have nothing to show for it, or I could spend some money at a machine shop and get this "US" pipe to fit a "Canadian" bike. Look into costs to have the flange turned down to fit the port (and I can still Moto-tool the bracket), and decide "Ok, I'll get it machined, but first I'll check to see if there are any other "fit" issues ... here's what I saw:

I was too busy looking at the flange, that I didn't even notice that the back end wouldn't align with the silencer!

The view from straight back:

The view from straight out the head pipe ... directly into the foot peg (Muzzy fitment doesn't seem so bad, now, does it!!!):

And a couple of shots how the head pipe and silencer align:

The lighbulb goes on and it becomes immediately clear:

I don't have the wrong bike ... I have the wrong pipe!!!

To be continued ...

Old 09-14-2006, 04:01 AM
Default RE: Big Gun vs. Little Me

I CAME ACROSS SORT OF THE SAME THING. BUT I GOT MINE FROM ROCKY MOUNTAIN. MY PROBLEM WAS THE QUIET CORE WAS NOT THIER AND THE HEAD PIPE ID WAS THE SAME SIZE AS THE SILENCER, SO I SENT IT ALL BACK THEY ARE WORKING ON IT ONLY PROBLEM IT IS ON A 3WEEK BACK ORDER.

Old 09-14-2006, 04:01 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Big Gun vs. Little Me - Part 4

Guilty until Proven Innocent

Despite the Bike Bandit Customer Service BS, I direct my attention to Big Gun to clarify whether or not the pipe that I have is in fact the right pipe for my bike, despite having a label that says its the right part #.

Although there was some initial relief that I might have gotten the wrong pipe, I wanted to prove to myself, at least, that someone made a mistake, and it was probably a simple human error made at Big Gun. So I went to a trusty Internet forum where lots of KLX250 people hang out (some of them with the very Big Gun exhaust system that I though I had), and I posted a request for Big Gun close-up photos.
Despite their initial skepticism, I figured they will probably end up doing the right thing, and I didn't want to cause any public outcry of wrong-doing, so I tried to be descrete about it.

(By the way, thanks to all my brethern out there who posted photos of your Big Gun pipes [sm=icon_rock.gif]... they helped create a very convincing argument!)

An e-mail was sent to Big Gun CS with a bunch of photos, and one thing was very clear: all the photos I received matched each other, but none of them matched mine!

Here are some samples:

My head pipe

Others

Despite the mismatch between my pipe and the others (although, I agree they are very similar ... ) Big Gun CS is not convinced and pursues the "US" vs. "Canadian" angle, possibly thinking that might get them off the hook.

To be continued ...

Old 09-14-2006, 05:11 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Big Gun vs. Little Me - Part 5

Guilty Until Proven Innocent
The Evidence

The Big Gun CS rep was wallowing around and not making any progress in proving or disproving anything, so I figured I would help move things along. I found out from Kawasaki in both Canada and US that all KLX250S / KLX250H6F models use the same Kawasaki part number for the exhaust system. I deduced that if the Big Gun head pipe that I received was in fact the correct head pipe for a KLX250S, then the exhaust flange diameter should be identical to my OEM pipe. Here are the photos sent to Big Gun:

OEM Exhaust Flange:

Big Gun Exhaust Flange:

(There's a difference of about 3/64")

But not wanting to rely on my own testamony, I suggested to the Big Gun CS rep that he compare my Big Gun pipe measurement to Big Gun's own KLX250S head pipe blue prints. My speculation was that their blue print dimension was going to be approximately 1.75 inches ... exactly the same as my OEM measurement.

A few days later, low and behold, the Big Gun blue print measurement was 1.75 inches exactly.

Shortly afterwards, the Big Gun CS rep heard back from Kawasaki US, that there is no difference between how different 2006 KLX250 models are manufactured. (Its official, folks. And, just for the record, I am at fault for thinking there was a "US' vs "Canadian" versioning thing.)

I got the distinct impression that the Big Gun CS rep was kind of overwhelmed with all the logic and reasoning, and just did what he was told ... finally recognized that something didn't add up, and maybe figured that I was right afterall.

CS Fault #3: Big Gun CS Rep did not posess any problem solving skills to determine what exactly was the problem.

So, now I think there's silent agreement that:

1) The Big Gun 10-4311 head pipe does fit my bike
2) The pipe that I received, despite being labeled with the Big Gun 10-4311 part number, is in fact NOT a Big Gun 10-4311 head pipe

Big Gun hasn't admitted to any mistakes, but says they'll exchange my head pipe when they an get their hands on one.

They tell me to ship the pipe back to them, and in exhange for my trouble, they'll send me a "free" Big Gun T-shirt along with the replacement pipe.

Finally, after almost 3 weeks from receiving the wrong pipe, it looks like there's light at the end of the tunnel! [sm=drooldude.gif]

So I ask for a confirmation of the shipping address, who's attention I should send it to, and if there's a return authorization number needed.

To be continued ...

Old 09-14-2006, 05:27 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Big Gun vs. Little Me - Part 6

"Is there anybody out there?"
- Pink Floyd, The Wall

A week goes by, no reply.

I send a message to Big Gun asking about the status of tracking down a replacement pipe, and include my request to confirm the shipping address, if I should send it to anybody's attention, and if I need a return authorization #.

Big Gun CS response:

"Yeah I have a head pipe coming up to me I am just waiting on getting it."

There's some additional content in the message about silencer packing, but nothing significant to getting to a resolution. Meanwhile, the head pipe is sitting in my garage, all boxed up and ready to go ... just waiting for the shipping information. I've asked for it twice, I figure they're in no hurry, so no problem, it will get returned in due time.

To be continued ...

Old 09-14-2006, 05:31 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Big Gun vs. Little Me - Part 5

I went through the same ordeal with parts for one of my electric RC heli's. Vendor woudn't even respond to me until I left a neutral feedback on the ebay transaction, and even then it was skeptical at best. From a very respected vendor as well, I expected better after sale treatment. Best of luck to you on this, mine never was resolved.

Old 09-14-2006, 05:43 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Big Gun vs. Little Me - Part 6

Wow, that really sucks. I hope they get it right.

Some day ask me my "Sears power washer story from hell" Makes your BG CS experience seem like they made you president of the company and paid you $1M by comparison

Old 09-14-2006, 06:02 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Big Gun vs. Little Me - Part 7

A man's got his patience and here's where mine ends!

Another week goes by ... no word. Time for another status request.

"I will have one in my hands tomorrow but my GM said that I have to wait until I receive the other head pipe back before I can send this one out."

Hellooo!!! I've been trying to get him to confirm the shipping address for 2 weeks ... otherwise, I would have shipped it 2 weeks ago and he might have had MY pipe in his hands already!!!

CS Fault #4: "Customer Service" implies providing SERVICE to customer requests ... maybe the concept proved to be too difficult for him to grasp?
- Maybe I have unrealistic expectations, but isn't responding to customer requests sort of the WHOLE POINT OF HIS JOB?!??

Regardless, by now I've had my fill of frustration and aggrevation, and write to Mike Young (President of Big Gun)'s executive assistant. I've been in contact with her various times throughout the past 3 weeks, when "Customer" and "Service" didn't quite go well together. Highlights of that e-mail:

- I have been generally patient in working with Big Gun to get this problem resolved, but every step has been an unwarranted struggle on my part, only to be met by further obstructions and delays.

- I'm not being whiney about a superficial sctratch, I'm asking for resolution of a problem that
a) is clearly and undeniably due to a manufacturer's defect, and
b) completely prohibits use of the product that I purchased!

- I feel like I'm being victimized by a simple mistake that should be quick and easy to resolve.

- Instead of a quick and simple resolution, the process is being unduly obstructed by additional problems and mistakes made on Big Gun's behalf.

- I refuse to allow myself to continue being the only one to suffer throughout this ordeal, and ask Big Gun to stand up and take on responsibility for its mistakes.

- I need to see Big Gun take clear and immediate steps to resolution by close of business today.

(Incidently, I mentioned my multiple requests for confirmation of the shipping address and if I needed a return authorization number ... she had one for me in about 3 minutes.)

CS Fault #5: The Big Gun CS Rep did not know the company's product return policy.
- If he did, he should have proactively given me an RA# when he told me to return the mislabeled pipe.
- If I returned the pipe without an RA #, the delivery would have been refused, adding further delays to the resolution.

Allison said that she will make sure that Phil (Customer Service General Manager) calls me today ... now the fun REALLY begins!

To be continued ...

Quick Reply: Big Gun vs. Little Me