Big Gun quiet core install

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 07:47 PM
Default Big Gun quiet core install

got my quite core for the EVO X today went to install and it won't fit the solid end won't fit over the tube in the muffler.Any body else have this problem.I am awaiting a E-Mail from big gun to see if they sent me the wrong one but the numbers on the invoice are correct.There are no numbers on the part itself.

thanks millman

Old 09-27-2007, 09:07 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Big Gun quiet core install

Are you well versed in the operation of a hammer?

From what I have been reading about this company I am very reluctant to purchase their product, of course you hear mostly only the bad stuff.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:23 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: millman

got my quite core for the EVO X today went to install and it won't fit the solid end won't fit over the tube in the muffler.Any body else have this problem.I am awaiting a E-Mail from big gun to see if they sent me the wrong one but the numbers on the invoice are correct.There are no numbers on the part itself.

thanks millman
Same thing happened to me. I called Big Gun and spoke with the tech who explained how I should describe what the correct part should be. This is the verbiage you may want to use....

Per our conversation, I need a quiet core with a smooth metal bell on the end (to fit onto the end pipe at the beginning of the muffler canister). I will also need this trimmed down a bit to so that the final length properly fits the Canister for the Kawasaki KLX 300.

Please replace per my initial order number 1239 ordered on Thursday, November 9th, 2006.

The new one they sent was correct. you need the "bell" end tofit on that inner cuff....

Old 09-27-2007, 10:40 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DirtSurfer

ORIGINAL: millman

thanks millman
Same thing happened to me. I called Big Gun and spoke with the tech who explained how I should describe what the correct part should be. This is the verbiage you may want to use....

Per our conversation, I need a quiet core with a smooth metal bell on the end (to fit onto the end pipe at the beginning of the muffler canister). I will also need this trimmed down a bit to so that the final length properly fits the Canister for the Kawasaki KLX 300.

Please replace per my initial order number 1239 ordered on Thursday, November 9th, 2006.

The new one they sent was correct. you need the "bell" end tofit on that inner cuff....

hhahaha he said " bell end"
[8D]

Old 09-27-2007, 10:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Hmmmm,a certain mod hasn't hijacked this thread yet with a shoulda got a muzzy remark yetcome on deej your not paying attention

Old 09-27-2007, 11:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Just a little off topic, but was the BG supposed to come with one? I thought I read that on their site? My bro's only came with the screen.

Oh and since it was brought up, shoulda got a muzzy

Old 09-27-2007, 11:46 PM
1st Gear Member

What does the quiet core look like? My pipe supposidly came with one as well. But it must have been in the pipe. I just kinda assumed it was the packing in the pipe.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:58 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I think there are two types of quiet cores for the BG - one is the "Vortex" and I think that is for intermittant use, i.e., if you have an MX bike and you want to occasionally ride it on the trails, use this one, but if used constantly it can damage the pipe (or something like that). The other is for longer term use and some have posted pictures of it and if I remember corectly, it is a mesh cylinder with a handfull of semi-circle plates welded offset each other along the length of the cylinder.

Old 09-28-2007, 03:38 AM
1st Gear Member

I thought the Evo package was supposed to come with a "Quiet Core" as well, but found out afterwards that it comes with the "Vortex Insert" instead.

Apparently, the part number just identifies that you are ordering a Quiet Core insert, but as some people have already found out, there are many Quiet Core sizes ... all of which have the same part number.

I took my Race Core insert out and measured all the dimensions, and included thesewhen I placed my order. Maybe I was just lucky, but the insert I received fit perfectly (well, with a little wiggling, but at leat no hammering was involved).

Apparently, the people who take the phone in orders are not aware of the various sizes, so you have totell them your dimensions- they won't ask you for them!!! (Big Gun does not provide "Customer Service", they only do "Customer Management", and they don't do it very well.)

Here is a picture of the "Quiet Core" on the left and the "Race Core" on the right (as show below, the exhaust flows from bottom to top):

Name:  BigGunQuietCorePDRM1296.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  51.7 KB

This is a photo of the Vortex insert, that is used in conjunction with the Race Core (because of the baffles, it won't work with the Quiet Core):

Hope this helps.

Mike

Old 09-28-2007, 09:57 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I plan on getting the quiet core over winter and repack again, i dont like how the vortex insert is designed and works.

Quick Reply: Big Gun quiet core install