Big Gun Quiet Core

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 04:40 AM
Default RE: Big Gun Quiet Core

The one I bought was supposed to come with vortex but did not. I purchased a couple of months ago and never bothered to look to see if vortex was installed, just assumed it was and it was not. I'm going to call Big Gun to try and get vortex but since it has been so long they probably won't send it to me so I'll probably just order the quiet core. It is supposed to reduce sound a bit more than vortex and be a longer term solution than vortex. I tried to remove back and stripped allen head screws so for me it will be easier to install core instead of vortex anyway. Does anybody know whether it is the 15 or 17 inch?

Old 10-27-2006, 05:39 AM
1st Gear Member

The silencer has to have EITHER the Race Core OR the Quiet Core, but it can't have both. (The packing is sandwiched between the core and the outter shell, so you have to have one of them.)

The Vortex insert can be installed WITH the Race Core. Since it slips in under the end cap, there's only 3 screws involved to install/remove the Vortex Insert, which is why its handy for people who want to swap it in and out.

The spacer ring is used when you want to install the Vortex Insert WITHOUT the spark arrestor screen, or possibly when want the spark arrestor WITHOUT the Vortex insert - you'd have to compare the thickness of the 3 things to see which combination fits under the end cap.

The Vortex insert might also fit within the Quiet Core, but I don't know for sure ... depends on if there's enough room in the end before the first baffle. Even if it does fit, I'm not sure you'd want to use both unless the noise was REALLY a problem (but at that point, performance might take a really big hit, in which case, you'd probably be better off with the stock muffler.

The KLX250S uses the 15" inserts.

Old 10-27-2006, 05:58 AM
1st Gear Member

It should be very easy to tell if the Vortex Insert is installed or not, and almost as easy to tell if you have a Race Core or Quiet Core:

(Note: these all assume you do NOT have the spark arrestor in place ... or you can easily see through it)

If you look into the silencer and see:

- a 1.5" diameter tube that goes the length of the silencer, you have the Race Core installed.

- a 1.5" diameter tube and farther into the tube there's a semi-circular baffle, you have the Quiet Core installed.

- three 1/2" holes in a triangular pattern at the very end of the silencer - you have the Vortex Insert installed inside a Race Core insert. (The Vortex might be installed inside a Quiet Core, but not likely).

Hope this helps.

Mike

Old 10-27-2006, 06:20 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I do have the race core and got screwed out of the vortex it was supposed to come with. I'm going to call tomorrow but since it has been a couple of months I doubt they will supply it. You can tell how much I ride but I was wondering why it was so loud. Does anybody have an extra vortex or quiet core they would like to sell? If not I'll just have to order one if they don't supply. Thanks again guys

Old 10-27-2006, 12:51 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I must have just the race core, and i got the vortex insert, spark arrestor, and spacer ring. all came with my pipe. I am going to be repacking the muffler over winter, when i do ill post some pics. But i have had the whole end of the muffler apart, and i saw all the packing, that stuff really gets hard and compacted at the end...

Old 10-27-2006, 10:38 PM
1st Gear Member

There seems to be a problem with quality control at both Muzzy and Big Gun, and that is why everyone is "dissecting" their exhausts when they get them.

I ordered the BG-10K4313 from motrocycleparts.biz. The box, and tags on the exhaust said the quiet core, vortex insert, and spark arrestor were already installed. What I actually got was a race core, and the spark arrestor and spacer were in the box in a bag. Big Gun sent me a vortex insert, but I didn't figure out I had the wrong core until I went to install it. I decided I like the sound of the race core, so the spark arrestor/spacer is all I have in it now. I leave for work at 6am, the neighbors haven't said anything, so I think I'll be okay (I have a cop next door).

I think having all the correct pieces in the box (spring clips, quiet core, vortex, etc) is not too much to ask for. If the exhaust was $40 instead of $400, I might not be as miffed about it. The vortex is $50. I may not ever use it, but I paid for it, and that's why I had them send it to me...

Old 10-29-2006, 10:00 PM

Based on my conversation with the chief at big gun, here is the definitive answer on quiet core vs. vortex

vortex: made for track mx bikes when they occassionally want to hit national forest roads with friends and need to make the sound legal level. Easy in and out install. Not made to be permanently-installed; won't function longer-term; deteriorates fairly rapidly compared to quiet core (how to tell: will become loud as it becomes non-functional).

quiet core: made for permanent install, will last much longer, but output more restricted than vortex (trade-off there, obviously).

If you guys are looking for permanent install, you want quiet core, and NOT vortex. If you want periodic, temporary use for the few times you venture off an mx track, get vortex and swap it in and out whenever you use it. My guess is that KLX250S owners want quiet core, otherwise they'd have an MX bike instead.

Old 10-30-2006, 08:18 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

nice, but i think the question is do we have the race core installed from the factory already plus the vortex or just the race core and didn't receive the vortex?
This is the picture of the Vortex insert:

If it is installed, it will look like three 1/2" holes at the end of your exhaust pipe, otherwise the end of your exhaust will be a single 1.5" hole (in both cases I'm ignoring the CNC tip and spark arrestor screens).

Or am I missing your question/point?

Quick Reply: Big Gun Quiet Core