Big Gun and HMF Slip on diff in loudness?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 02:14 AM
Default Big Gun and HMF Slip on diff in loudness?

Does anybody with the HMF know how it compares to the Big Gun in the sound department. The big gun is awesome but a little too loud for me for the time I'm going to be leaving to work in the morning. Any help please

Old 10-22-2006, 02:19 AM
Default RE: Big Gun and HMF Slip on diff in loudness?

My hmf is allegedly coming... but I dont know what a Big Gun sounds like [&:]

Old 10-22-2006, 04:18 AM
1st Gear Member

I installed the Vortex Insert into my Big Gun before installing it, and was expecting it to be on the loud side, but I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it wasn't that bad at all. I was expecting a bit more low end pull, but it wasn't there, though. I figured that along with the reduced sound level, the power was also taking a hit, so I took out the Vortex insert to see what that was like.

It was loud ... obnoxiously loud ... too obnoxiously loud. (Above 5k-6k it seemed to smooth out a bit, but I'm not always running around at the higher engine speeds.) I probably drove less than 3 miles before crawling home to reinstall the Vortex tip. Life is better now.

I spoke with the dealer who said the Vortex Tip was rated at 96 db and the Quiet Core is supposed to be rated at 94 db. I've also heard the Quiet Core insert is supposed to be a better long term solution for lower sound (and the associated lowered performance) than the Vortex tip, because the Vortex was designed for easy switching in and out. I don;t have a Quiet Core (yet) but maybe someone else who has both could comment?

If you have the Vortex tip, try it to see if that produces an acceptable sound level ... could be less of a hassle than buy & selling exhuast pipes. If you've already tried it, then maybe the 2 db difference from the Quiet Core will do the trick. If you've got the Quiet Core, and that's unacceptable ... I'm out of suggestions.

Hope it all works out for you!

Mike

Old 10-22-2006, 08:07 PM
1st Gear Member

I ran into a guy with the big gun system on his KLX. I thought if there is a difference in sound it didn't seem noticible. When he took off, that Big Gun was loud. However, my opinion was it was no louder than the HMF. HMF quiet core works well. So when you want stealth mode back, it is a easy 2min switch.

The big difference between these systems is price.