Big Gun "Ceramic Coating"?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 03:18 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Big Gun "Ceramic Coating"?????

OK guys, i talked to mike young tonight. I explained my situation to him, he assured me that what looked like rust on my pipe is just a discoloration, and will come off with Mothers aluminum polish. I was very skeptical, but i just happen to have some of that so i went down to try after i got off the phone. I was very surprised and happy that it actually came off. One downside is that it looks like this is going to need done at least 2 times a year for me, because i ride so much. Its not gonna be easy coming off, but it will. If it is kept up with than it would not be as hard to get off. Mike Young did make me feel better about his product though. He said if it does not come off that all i have to do is contact them and they will get in touch with thier ceramic coating company, and get it recoated or what ever is needed. He did inform me that my pipe is mild steel-ceramic coating. The site for Big Gun says that the pipe is stainless steel, thats because theynow use stainless steel instead of mild steel with a ceramic coating. The 2005-2006 pipes are mild steel with a ceramic coating, and the 2007 pipes are stainless. I bet we had something to do with that decesion, he said it takes a week to do the ceramic coating so they switched to the stainless steel because they can get pipes out quicker. The ceramic does produce more HP though, so the stainless steel newer pipes wont make quite as much HP. So now all i gotta do is polish the whole exhaust to get all of that off. I am happy that it is going to come off and its not rust. Now all i have to do is find Loctite # 246 Medium strength high temperature, which by the way is impossible to find. I went to Fastenal to get more screws, they were kind enough to break a bag of 100 and give me 50. So i had to buy 50 stainless screws for 5$... alot better than 3 screws for 5$ from big gun.I have 50 screws if anyonewants someDoes anyone know where i can buy that loctite?

So thats the story about the Big Gun exhausts.... so maybe there is some truth to the big gun making more power on those dyno runs, ceramic coating....

Old 03-08-2007, 03:48 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Great news, EMS! Glad you don't have to fork out more dough. And thought I ealier in this thread referred to Mother's Polish is jest, that makes it all that more funnier that that's what you are supposed to do. Hey, at least it's not rust, glad you have a solution.

Old 03-08-2007, 04:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Good stuff. Sounds like this dark cloud has more than just a silver lining ... its just going to take a little elbow grease to get it all shining. I'm glad it didn't turn out worse. If it makes you feel any better, it also sounds like you're not the first person to run into this problem. You'd think an FAQ on their website would have avoided this kind of issue, but I guess that would show too much customer focus.

Wax on ... wax off!

Old 03-08-2007, 07:23 AM
1st Gear Member

glad to hear it worked out for ya ems.. now maybe all the cheap shots on the board can finally come to an end. im up for some of those screws by the way... i can purchase thru mail or maybe bring some to NJ with ya memorial day weekend?

Old 03-08-2007, 12:03 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys. Im glad it not all fudged up either....

jsac, Email me how many you want and your address, ill just send them in an envelope. Im still looking for that loctite though.....

Old 03-08-2007, 01:49 PM
1st Gear Member

check ur pm.

Old 03-08-2007, 04:48 PM

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

Im still looking for that loctite though.....
Eric, you are right. It is hard to find. I did find it here, though, fordecent price. Most places wanted to sell large quantites. The few that sold individual tubes wanted like $15 per tube. This place is only $7.50. Still a lot, but not too bad.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:11 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Thanks alot chris!!!! i wasnt even able to find it at all!!!! o well un less i want to keep buying screws ill have to get it.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:36 PM
1st Gear Member

any auto parts store should have loctite. theres red and blue,red is the stronger of the two.Id use the blue.
http://www.loctite.com/int_henkel/loctite_us/index.cfm
It works great,I used it on all my 2stroke race bikes.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:06 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

There is a million differenty types of loctite, color doesnt indicate the strength, i have 2 bottles of blue high strength. To hold the screws in the muffler you need to use a medium strength, so you can still remove them, and a high temperature.... that is loctite #246. every loctite has a specific #.

Quick Reply: Big Gun "Ceramic Coating"?????