Big Gun "Ceramic Coating"?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 02:25 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Big Gun "Ceramic Coating"?????

EMS, The sentence following the one you pointed out says "CNC mandril bent 18 guage mild steel header " which contradicts the previous sentence. By the looks of your pipe it is mild steel and not stainless. I have also never seen stainless steel classified as Mild. Other than the magnet test I don't know how to tell the difference other than stainless is typically way harder the mild steel. Based on what they say in their literature, I'm not sure if they even know what it is made of.

Old 03-03-2007, 02:31 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

that piece of text is from3/29/2005, it says the EVO R is stainless but the EVO X is just "mild" steel version of the EVO R.... so that would lead me to believe that its not stainless...according to that article... BUT..... if you click on the EVO X link at the top of the page it says:

The EVO X Series high performance exhaust system is specifically designed to meet the versatile needs of todays aggressive track or trail enthusiast. 18 guage mild stainless steel header, extreme power & smooth torque delivery. CNC mandril bent 18 guage mild steel header for exact fitment and precise air flow that yields extreme power with a smooth torque delivery. Developed with the most state of the art equipment available in the industry today. The EVO Xs unique racing core will meet the strict AMA 102dBs limit while providing guaranteed race winning power and performance. Available in slip-on and complete systems for ATV and MX models

so that would lead me to believe that its stainless. and im guessing that is more up todate... that article is from 2005.... sound about right?
You've no doubt done more research than me, so your're probably right. All I know is the article I plucked that from was talking about what would be produced for the 2006/7 model year...or so I thought.

In anycase, they should be able to stand behind all those fantastic sounding statements.

Old 03-03-2007, 02:35 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: markturbo
Nobrakes if you're selling your bike put it back to 250 and sell me your big bore!!!!
Doh! I knew I should have kept it. I traded it to Marty for some other parts and he has had it sleeved. He's turning it into his own 331cc big bore. Otherwise I would - just for the cost of gaskets, pin, clips, and rings, I could convert my bike pretty much back to stock, trade it in for a pitance, then sell all the goodies for a more reasonable loss.

Resale sucks. [&:]

Old 03-05-2007, 06:39 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Well because i didnt get a response to my emails, i decided to call. The Evo X is a mild steel pipe with a ceramic coating. The 6 month warranty is up so there is nothing they can do..... soooooo im screwed..... One of the biggest waste of money on my bike. Im pretty mad about this. So now i wll be telling everyone not to buy Big Gun exhausts... quality.... I wouldnt be surprised if all the big gun pipes look like mine after a while...... So there you have it..... even though thier site says its mild STAINLESS steel header.... wrong..... its mild regular steel with a ceramic coating.... maybe my pipe missed the coating part....... WTF

Old 03-05-2007, 06:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Guys, there is more than one grade of stainless steel, and some grades of stainless WILL RUST. The magnet test will only prove if it is stainless, not the grade of steel.

Old 03-05-2007, 06:48 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

im pretty sure my warranty is up, but ill check to make sure..... the site says its stainless steel, doesnt say anything about regular steel being coated....... Screwed again!!!!!

Old 03-05-2007, 07:12 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

[:@] This is BS i spent almost 500$ on a pos pipe thats all rusty already and looks like crap, that im stuck with. They cant even respond to my emails either. Im officially a big gun hater... more than muzzy owners now.... I could have bought a full cat back exhaust for my truck with the money i spend on this exhaust.... they are wayyyyyyyyy over priced... whatever.... now im just really disgusted [:'(]

Old 03-05-2007, 07:18 PM
1st Gear Member

The section of your pipe that is rusted the most is the "cooler" section and it would hold up fine to exhaust paint. I don't have a picture online of it but I painted my headpipe with 1500 degrees flat black exhaust paint. Had I oven cured it instead of letting the exhaust cure itself it probably would have held up fine. The elbow right out of the head, the paint boiled off but beyond that its still all black with only a light coating on it. I probably could have cleaned the headpipe better too, I only wire brushed it. While it sucks to end up painting a $400 exhaust I think it would look good, I'd probably do the whole thing, can and all.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:23 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Now that is a good idea there.... maybe i can stencil in POS on the side of the can and paint it then take the tape off so it says POS on the side of the can..... i might just do that..... would probably look good flat black..... thanks

Old 03-05-2007, 07:26 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

lmao^^^^

Quick Reply: Big Gun "Ceramic Coating"?????