Big Gun "Ceramic Coating"?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 08:07 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Big Gun "Ceramic Coating"?????

Here is a post from a while back.
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_86651/tm.htm

I have been thinking about this for some time, but I will have to win the lottery first, oh wait I don't gamble, or buy lottery tickets, but if you guys want to take up a collection Hey if everyone on this site put in lets say $20.00 we could buy someone a bike in short order. Ok I'll be the guy, and you guys start sending money. No? Aw come on.......hello? Is this thing on?

Old 03-02-2007, 08:13 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej
Here is a post from a while back.
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_86651/tm.htm
Yep, that's the one. The 525EXC is actually the same weight, but from what I hear, due to the larger mass of the piston and flywheel it takes more throttle control, is less forgiving, and works you harder in the tight trails. The 525EXC would excel in the wide open like desert riding, while most folks here in the east like the 450EXC better for our tighter terrain.

In any case, the 450EXC can be turned into a 525 similarly to the way the KLX250S can be turned into a KLX300. Except that the ONLY difference between the 450 and the 525 appears to be the bore size. Otherwise they have identical specs and part numbers, as near as I can tell.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:28 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

But wait, it says "internal external". What is that? Why can't they cut the double talk and just say what it is? Do they mean internal, external, or both? EMS's pipe surely isn't ceramic coated, not if it is rusting like that. Either that, or the coating is so thin, that it has no place on a dirt bike which is made to be ridden off-road in harsh conditions. The KLX ain't no shiny chromed street cruiser, regardless of how some fine folks shine and take care of them - that is their perogative, but one shouldn't have to rub it down with Mother's polish after every ride.
Mothers polish........hmmmmmm thanks for the idea.
http://www.muc-off.co.uk/

Old 03-02-2007, 08:34 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

only you deej, only you..... i think its good your in WA, never having a chance to see my bike.... would need an EMT there to bring you back.....
Name:  warningsign-1.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  15.6 KB

Old 03-02-2007, 09:05 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tremor38

See below link. Scroll way to the bottom of the page. It's at the mid-point of the last paragraph. I've also done a cut-n-paste.

http://www.biggunexhaust.com/news.php

EVO X is a mild steel version of EVO R but comes with our very high end internal external Ceramic coating that lowers oil temperatures and creates horsepower, never rusts fades chips or peels! Incredible material. EVO Limited is the same as the EVO X except for its flat black look made from a Black Ceramic coating that resists the maximum heat of up to 1800 degrees! This exhaust also has a shiny black powder coated silencer to give you that total Black stealth look! Black is back especially here at Big Gun as we are the first to offer anything of this sort to the public! EVO Mini is the same as the EVO X with and all new look and feel. Don t forget that Big Gun has offered the largest line of mini pipes since their inception and we still do today. EVO Sport Utility is all new from the ground up. We have taken our Motorcross and off-road hats off and designed the most rugged and tough exhaust systems available all at the correct price with all the features that a Sport Utility customer will ever need!
that piece of text is from3/29/2005, it says the EVO R is stainless but the EVO X is just "mild" steel version of the EVO R.... so that would lead me to believe that its not stainless...according to that article... BUT..... if you click on the EVO X link at the top of the page it says:

The EVO X Series high performance exhaust system is specifically designed to meet the versatile needs of todays aggressive track or trail enthusiast. 18 guage mild stainless steel header, extreme power & smooth torque delivery. CNC mandril bent 18 guage mild steel header for exact fitment and precise air flow that yields extreme power with a smooth torque delivery. Developed with the most state of the art equipment available in the industry today. The EVO Xs unique racing core will meet the strict AMA 102dBs limit while providing guaranteed race winning power and performance. Available in slip-on and complete systems for ATV and MX models

so that would lead me to believe that its stainless. and im guessing that is more up todate... that article is from 2005.... sound about right?

Old 03-02-2007, 09:12 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I noticed the KTM has two exhaust outlets also - I can only assume it is for better flow. On the KTM the two outlets merge into a single larger header a few inches from the head.

I'm going to have to see where my finances are if my KLX doesn't sell. I'm not opposed to buying the KTM and selling the KLX when it decides to sell. I'm sure it will, especially as spring time rolls around, it's just a matter of when and for what price.

But you are right about the components - I don't think anything needs to be upgraded on those bikes. The only thing I plan for the KTM is to get the larger gas tank, skid plate, and hand guards. I was already having a Renazco seat made and I called them up and put a hold on that and will be getting one made for this new bike instead, assuming I go through with this. And I'll probably use my Trail Tech Vapor on it and my folding mirrors, but I've already got those. They do need to be jetted, though. The really have to choke them down to pass the 50 state emissions, I guess. But rejetting is only a few bucks - the pipe and airbox are good and they already have a top of the line carb.

Maintenance is a little more, but not terribly so. Not as much as one might think, not as much as I used to think before I really looked into it.

These are certainly not for everyone and I will miss aspects of the KLX. I've certainly grown to like green. But it's not a done deal yet - I may stay green. But if I don't, I hope you guys won't kick me out, Maybe if I photoshop all my photos to make it green???

Old 03-02-2007, 09:22 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

yeah, the TE250 I guess has a conversion 300 kit I saw lastnight as well. although i'm sure the TE250 runs more like a MX 250 than our KLX 250 therefore not really requiring any updates. it even comeswith a name brand exhaust system not to mention the other components.
Get off the fence Iowa...... your're going to hate me for posting this

06 TE250 with 300 cylinder 4 gal IMS tank, low milesand other upgrades only $5K even maybe less

here's the link from the adv site http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206049

Old 03-02-2007, 09:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Nobrakes if you're selling your bike put it back to 250 and sell me your big bore!!!!

Quick Reply: Big Gun "Ceramic Coating"?????