Big Gun "Ceramic Coating"?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 02:04 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default Big Gun "Ceramic Coating"?????

I have herd alot about the "ceramic coating" on this site. Where did that come from? Nowhere on thier site does it say anything about a ceramic coating, it says the header is stainless steel.. according to my pipe, stainless rusts.
Ok i was digging around on big gun's site, This is all the info i found on the evo x pipe details:

The EVO X Series high performance exhaust system is specifically designed to meet the versatile needs of todays aggressive track or trail enthusiast. 18 guage mild stainless steel header, extreme power & smooth torque delivery. CNC mandril bent 18 guage mild steel header for exact fitment and precise air flow that yields extreme power with a smooth torque delivery. Developed with the most state of the art equipment available in the industry today. The EVO Xs unique racing core will meet the strict AMA 102dBs limit while providing guaranteed race winning power and performance. Available in slip-on and complete systems for ATV and MX models.

Kawasaki KLX 250/250S/300 Complete Exhaust System (Silencer Shown) Lighter than stock, adds up to 3.5 more horsepower. Meets AMA 102 db sound requirements also comes standard with USFS approved spark arrestor, Vortex Quiet Insert meets 94db state park requirements, Race Tools pillow packing. (only exhaust system to come with all the above features standard) Re-Jetting necessary. Standard 6 month warranty applies to this product.

So where did this "ceramic coating" come from, is it just a rumor or what? The site says its a stainless steel header... nowhere do i see ceramic? Ok, wait, my header has less rust than the muffler pipe, the piece of pipe before the muffler, so what, is that piece not stainless? just the header is? if so thats messed up. for those who havent lookedat theother thread..... and for those who feel im beating a dead horse.... too bad. Look at my pipe and tell me you wouldnt be mad. Im just wondering where the seemingly myth of ceramic came from? Ill be emailing big gun in a few minutes....

Name:  pipe001.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  174.9 KB

Name:  pipe002.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  112.4 KB

Name:  pipe003.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  104.0 KB

Old 03-02-2007, 02:19 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Big Gun "Ceramic Coating"?????

Try hitting a spot of that with very fine gauge steel wool. You might be able to clean off some of that rust with WD-40, just make sure and wash it good after or it will stink quite a bit when it gets hot. I buffed the rust off my muffler with a dremel and a steel wire brush attachment.

Old 03-02-2007, 02:54 PM
1st Gear Member

See below link. Scroll way to the bottom of the page. It's at the mid-point of the last paragraph. I've also done a cut-n-paste.

http://www.biggunexhaust.com/news.php

EVO X is a mild steel version of EVO R but comes with our very high end internal external Ceramic coating that lowers oil temperatures and creates horsepower, never rusts fades chips or peels! Incredible material. EVO Limited is the same as the EVO X except for its flat black look made from a Black Ceramic coating that resists the maximum heat of up to 1800 degrees! This exhaust also has a shiny black powder coated silencer to give you that total Black stealth look! Black is back especially here at Big Gun as we are the first to offer anything of this sort to the public! EVO Mini is the same as the EVO X with and all new look and feel. Don t forget that Big Gun has offered the largest line of mini pipes since their inception and we still do today. EVO Sport Utility is all new from the ground up. We have taken our Motorcross and off-road hats off and designed the most rugged and tough exhaust systems available all at the correct price with all the features that a Sport Utility customer will ever need!

Old 03-02-2007, 02:58 PM
1st Gear Member

They may have changed to stainless on the new models, I don't know. But I can assure you that my pipe is ceramic coated. If you need proof, I guess the only thing that I could do is to get a signed affidavit from my coating guy. A magnet will prove weather or not its stainless or mild steel. It will stick to your ceramic coated pipe and will not stick to stainless. Unless ofcourse it's a very cheap grade of stainless, which wouldn't prove anything.

Is all of this worth the effort?

I wish decent weather would get here..... I want to ride!!!! It will severely help my attitude!

Old 03-02-2007, 03:15 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

ill try the magnet....

Im just made this thread to show what my pipe looks like, take the info for what you want...

Old 03-02-2007, 04:38 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Two things... EMS - in your quote above (in green) you said...
"18 guage mild stainless steel header"
OK, what is mild stainless steel? Is that like Jumbo shrimp? Military intelligence? (oxymorons)
I guess it's the same type of "stainless" they use to make those 50 cent steak knifes from Walmart (you know the ones that rust the first time you wash em).

To quote Tremor...
"with our very high end internal external Ceramic coating that lowers oil temperatures and creates horsepower, never rusts fades chips or peels!"
I guess that clears it up once and for all... It's an internal ceramic coating. The outside of the pipe is not coated, which is what a number of us suspected in the first place.

Old 03-02-2007, 04:45 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

must be one in the same stainless steel... maybe mild is their word for really cheap?

Well i emailed them, im curious to see if or what i get in response....

Old 03-02-2007, 04:57 PM
1st Gear Member

never rusts fades chips or peels!"
I would try and send it back.

Old 03-02-2007, 06:04 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Kawi Wawi

Two things... EMS - in your quote above (in green) you said...
"18 guage mild stainless steel header"
OK, what is mild stainless steel? Is that like Jumbo shrimp? Military intelligence? (oxymorons)
I guess it's the same type of "stainless" they use to make those 50 cent steak knifes from Walmart (you know the ones that rust the first time you wash em).

To quote Tremor...
"with our very high end internal external Ceramic coating that lowers oil temperatures and creates horsepower, never rusts fades chips or peels!"
I guess that clears it up once and for all... It's an internal ceramic coating. The outside of the pipe is not coated, which is what a number of us suspected in the first place.
But wait, it says "internal external". What is that? Why can't they cut the double talk and just say what it is? Do they mean internal, external, or both? EMS's pipe surely isn't ceramic coated, not if it is rusting like that. Either that, or the coating is so thin, that it has no place on a dirt bike which is made to be ridden off-road in harsh conditions. The KLX ain't no shiny chromed street cruiser, regardless of how some fine folks shine and take care of them - that is their perogative, but one shouldn't have to rub it down with Mother's polish after every ride.

If no one elses BG is doing what EMS's is, then I'd say it is a quality control problem with EMS's pipe and should be covered by warranty. The look of that pipe is unacceptable to me and if BG stands behind their product, they should replace it because it is so obviously defective it isn't even funny.

If other people's pipes are doing that, then I really don't know what to say - that's just really poor manufacturing and false advertizing to the extreme.

Old 03-02-2007, 06:05 PM
1st Gear Member

304 stainless will rust, 308 and 316 won't. If you use a steel brush to clean stainless it leaves a residue on the stainless that will rust. Ceramic coating comes in different grades, some take more heat than others. A pipe as small as the klx is probably dipped. So you would think it has it on both sides. The ceranic coated headers I put on my 36 Dodge had to be cured on the car with heat. I got them to hot and ruined the ceramic up by the exhaust ports.

Quick Reply: Big Gun "Ceramic Coating"?????