Big Giant Crash on Hard Packed Gravel/Clay Road!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 07:54 AM
Default Big Giant Crash on Hard Packed Gravel/Clay Road!!!

OK, I did the unthinkable and crashed my KLX 250 at about 35-40 mph in a hard right hand decreasing radius turn on a hard packed clay and gravel road (it seemed like concrete when I slammed into it).
My question is on Handle bars? I am running the stock bars and would like a 1” rise above the stock bars (I am 6’ – 0”) for standing on the pegs.
How do I know if my stock bars are OK, I ran a straight edge from tip to tip and the right side (it was a low side crash) seems to be about .375 in further than the left if I measure the cord between the bar and straight edge at the welds for the cross bar point. I think I have a mild bend from the crash and wouldn’t mind a taller bar anyways as the steering seems off a little to the right.
So my questions are how do you check for bent bars and any ideas what might be wrong if it sis not the bar?
Thanks and ATGATT as the only injuries I have are a bruised elbow and a few scratches.

Regards,
Jim

Old 09-22-2006, 08:05 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Big Giant Crash on Hard Packed Gravel/Clay Road!!!

Glad you're OK man - from the sounds of it, it could have been a lot worse.

Old 09-22-2006, 09:31 AM
1st Gear Member

glad your ok

Old 09-22-2006, 02:20 PM
1st Gear Member

The best way to tell if something is tweaked is by feel ,if it feels bent then it is.. And also you might have twisted the front forks and they can get out of alignment. Once you no you have straight bars hold the handle where they feel straight to you and look at the front wheel and make sure its going straight. If not loosen the triple tree clamps and si on the bike and get someone to hold the tire betwwen there legs or you can you a wall or whatever works. Twist the bars till the tire is going straight then retighten the tree clamps ....

Old 09-22-2006, 02:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh and remember any gravel type road which seems hard packed most of the time there is loose stuff in the corners from car traffic digging it up so you have to take the turn easy . IMO

Old 09-22-2006, 03:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Just want to add my congrats on survival along with the others. I would replace the bars also. The additional inch you need is reason enough even if the bars were not bent.

Old 09-22-2006, 04:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Ouch Glad your Ok.

Like bad bear said. If it feels bent it is.

When you remove them and lay them flat then you will know for sure.
Any slight bend means they don't sit flat.

But I would use this as an excuse to get some nice alloy bars with a flatter bend. mmm
And the risers of course.

Old 09-22-2006, 07:59 PM

I bent my stock KLX250 bars in a slow low-side when entering cement sideways through a knarled hole that pulled the rear tire out (should have hit that thing straight on, what can i say...haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa). It was minor with no damage except for bent bars, I was suprised how easy they bend.

Yes, get aftermarket bars regardless, this is likely inevitable for everyone.

I got the tapered bars (Protaper I think), and now I need to find some bar clamps/risers for tapered bars that fit on the klx. QUESTION: The bar clamps at the jap bike shop had a single screw post for the triple clamp, not double screws like the klx triple clamp has, so that won't work. What bar clamps/risers can I get for the klx that fit tapered bars?

Old 09-23-2006, 07:07 AM

Thanks for the replies. I am going to try the new bars and if it still is not right I’ll just take the front end apart and check everything for straightness, bends, and etc.

Regards,
Jim

Quick Reply: Big Giant Crash on Hard Packed Gravel/Clay Road!!!