Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 06:35 AM
Default big bore, what carb set-up?

So I am finally going to pony up for the 331cc and am also going to get the
"Larry Rossler" cams from web cams. So my question is,to those of you
who have this, or a similar set-up, what carb are you running? What jetting
are you running in said carb? I am just looking for a starting point as this
is a radical modificatin to this poor little engine. I have a full muzzy, no
backfire screen, and airbox lid has been opened up.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:50 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: big bore, what carb set-up?

Nobrakes used an FCR35 in his, do a search for jetting etc

Old 06-10-2007, 02:55 PM
1st Gear Member

I'll have to get on my soapbox and throw-in my 2cents in here. Larry Rossler was the one who told Kawasaki thathis bikes were going through valves much too quickly...he was using that same grind of cams.

You cangain plenty of usable, low-end torque and widen you power band considerably simply by going with the 331cc kit...believe me, I've ridden bikes with the 315cc kit here in Japan and they are definitely not a 'weak sister.'

It's all up to you, but you might want to consider the shorter maintenance intervals that I'm willing to bet will be associated with a more aggressive cam profile before going ahead with it.

Old 06-10-2007, 03:29 PM
1st Gear Member

I have a 331cc kit and am running a Bill Blue modified Mikuni TM33 (now 34). Full Muzzy exhaust, K&N air filter, no snorkle (I'll probably put the KDX snorkle back in), no back fire screen, de-smogged, external crankcase vent filter.

Today's jetting at 5000' is 140 MJ, 40 PJ, Q-0 needle jet with needle clip in position #3 (from top), air/fuel screw for best idle Also have a shortened fuel pump rod to install once I pullthe carb again, I have a little bit of de-accel popping and an ocasional stutter at about 3/4 throttle -- living with this for now as everything else is pretty well dialed in.

I don't have aftermarket cams, but plan to experiment with a KLX300 CDI unit at some point in time.

Old 06-10-2007, 03:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Maniac- I have a 300cc jug on my klx with WebCams 101 grind (same cam), BG exhaust. I'm using Bill Blues carb (mikuni 33mm bored to 34). Jetting I went to 155 on the main without the lid and I was still too lean. Lid is back on, snorkle removed and I've got a 140, 142 was too rich. Location is Thailand at 1000 feet, 85 percent humidity and 90 degrees. Pilot is 40 and needle in the third position from the top.

The Roesler grind does lose some low end, but makes the mid and top come alive. Don't believe the "more power everywhere" claim. Tremors claims are valid about Valve wear. The webcams encourage stretching the gears more than the stock cams and may resulot in quicker wear. I've got 18k's on my motor with stock valves. However the cams were only put in 3000 km's ago. That said i ride snotty jungle trails and it has not hampered the low end too much, but it is noticeable.

Good luck.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:58 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Maniac, I'm running a 340 kit, stock cams, K&N air filter, backfire screen removed, snorkel removed but lid on, a full exhaust, and a Bill Blue MikuniTM34 carb. I also did the crankcase vent mod, and removed the air pump.

My elevation is 2400', and my jetting is:
142.5 Main Jet
42.5 Pilot Jet
Q-0 Needle Jet (emulsion tube)
Needle clip 3rd slot from top
Air/Fuel screw 1 1/2 turns out
A/C pump rod shortened .150"

I tried a 140 main, but in my case it was too lean, whilethe 42.5 pilot cured my deceleration popping. Mooredan turned me onto the Q-0 needle jet, which eliminated a flat spot I had at about 3/4 throttle.

Old 06-11-2007, 04:02 PM

where can i get/ order a big bore kit.. people talk about it alot buut im just not sure where to look for them?

Old 06-11-2007, 04:10 PM
1st Gear Member

To get up to 292cc its all factory Kawasaki parts and you order them individually from the KLX300 part sheet. All the part numbers are in the Common Part numbers thread up top.

If you want to go to 331 you have 2 options, buy the 300 cylinder and send it to Kustom Kraft or similar speed shop and they will bore&plate it and send you an oversize piston. Or send you stock cylinder to Bill Blue or I think he does the 300 cylinder as well, and he will bore and sleeve it and include an oversize piston.

Old 06-11-2007, 05:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Here's the route I took:

Ordered a KLX300 cylinder from Ron Ayerswww.ronayers.com

11005-1983
CYLINDER-ENGINE
$309.93

Then sent it to Kustom Kraft for boring and plating. http://www.kustom-kraft.com/ When it comes back to you, it includes the oversized piston, along with the appropriate gaskets, wrist pin, circlips.

http://kustom-kraft.com/KAWASAKIKITS.html
KLX-300 TO 330 97-04- $440.00

Old 06-12-2007, 02:16 AM

Thanks for the input guys. Gives me some good starting points,
Once I collect all my "goodies" and get everything installed I will
post what worked best for me here in MI. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: big bore, what carb set-up?