Big Bore Kit Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 02:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Different dyno's will show different numbers for the same motor so diffetent dyno's for different motors is a little like apples and oranges.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:54 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ranger Ron
Nobody bit, huh?

Ron

hahaha, is a Thermo-bob similar to the exhaust bearing?

Old 03-01-2012, 04:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dragone#19
hahaha, is a Thermo-bob similar to the exhaust bearing?
No, Its closer to a piston return spring.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:58 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by linkin5
Different dyno's will show different numbers for the same motor so diffetent dyno's for different motors is a little like apples and oranges.
Yeah, this is true. Though differences might not be huge, when you're talking about small differences like those in this comparison, it can make a difference. To be honest, most of us know we're not trying to make a KX250F out of a KLX250, but it's pretty impressive how much the torque and trailability of the KLX improves with any bigger bore kit from 300 on up. The OEM 300 cylinder is actually only a 292cc increase, but it is hugely noticeable. It seems anything bigger than the OEM cylinder really boots this bike in the butt for a power increase...given that all other mods are in synch and working properly.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2veedubs
The Bill Blue dyno sheet is on page 1 of his new site.
Ahh, yes, I see it now. Thanks.
http://bandbcyclerestoration.com/ima...8ff16_hkl1.jpg

Old 03-01-2012, 05:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ranger Ron
Nobody bit, huh?

Ron
Gave me a good snort!

Old 03-01-2012, 06:21 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Stock KLX250 Dyno Curves

As an example of how different bikes of the same make/model, different dynos, different days, etc., here is a chart showing the torque and hp curves from the HMF dyno chart on a stock KLX250, and the Kustom Kraft dyno chart on "old hp" as it was labeled on the chart. I don't know if the Kustom Kraft measurements were on a fairly fresh, well tuned KLX without any mods, some mods, worn out, or ??. So the comparison is probably not the best, but it is something.

Name:  HMFvKKStock250.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  56.4 KB

Old 03-01-2012, 07:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by linkin5
I hear ya, it's not like we have allot of dyno info to compare. I was happy to find two dyno graphs that had bikes with similar carb and exhaust setups.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
As an example of how different bikes of the same make/model, different dynos, different days, etc., here is a chart showing the torque and hp curves from the HMF dyno chart on a stock KLX250, and the Kustom Kraft dyno chart on "old hp" as it was labeled on the chart. I don't know if the Kustom Kraft measurements were on a fairly fresh, well tuned KLX without any mods, some mods, worn out, or ??. So the comparison is probably not the best, but it is something.

Now that you mention it that KK stock dyno does look a couple HP low. 18 is a fairly common HP figure thrown around here for a stock bike.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:43 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

In reality the dyno is better used to show the difference in a before-and-after scenario rather than compare power results from dyno to dyno. In that area they are a good comparison tool. Even then, the way the vehicle and dyno are operated, the atmospheric conditions, and a host of other factors have to be the same.

You know what?...the butt dyno is starting to look pretty darned good right now.

And seriously, it's sometimes more important when and where the power is occuring than the peak power created. The driveability and trailability of a dirt bike can be improved greatly without a lot of peak power gains if it's done right. But I think most of us know that already.

Quick Reply: Big Bore Kit Questions