Big Bend NP anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 04:57 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member
Default Big Bend NP anyone?

I do this every year and throw out an invite for anyone interested. I go to Big Bend National Park and the Terlingua area to ride during the first two weeks of December. I've shown some pics in the past. Depending on how far away you are, it might be something someone would like to do. I've hooked up over the years with people from ADV and KLR World, but it would be nice to see another KLX out there. Other than getting there, it's a cheap trip if you camp. I do the primitive camping in one of their outback sites, but there are motels and a lodge for the big spenders. Weather is generally quite mild, and the scenery is something most have not seen before. It's a mix of heavily vegetated desert and mountains. I've been all over the U.S., but the Big Bend area is quite unique. It's why I go back and back and back. There's quite a bit of off road stuff in the area. Most of it is quite doable by any rider with just mediocre skills...not a bunch of killer, death march stuff. Anyway, it looks like me and another guy from my home area are going from about 11-30 to 12-11. Shout out if you're interested.

Attached Thumbnails Big Bend NP anyone?-img_0103.jpg   Big Bend NP anyone?-img_0110.jpg  
Old 10-25-2010, 02:41 PM
1st Gear Member

I could be interested! That is a long ride from Mississippi on a KLX!

Donnie

Old 10-25-2010, 03:03 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Donnie
I could be interested! That is a long ride from Mississippi on a KLX!

Donnie
LOL!...yeah, that would be brutal on a KLX. Here's what I use when I go to Moab, Colorado, or other riding places in the U.S.

Attached Thumbnails Big Bend NP anyone?-p1010004.jpg  
Old 10-25-2010, 07:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
LOL!...yeah, that would be brutal on a KLX. Here's what I use when I go to Moab, Colorado, or other riding places in the U.S.

Nice rig! I have done up to 5,000 mile rides on the KLR, but only day rides on the KLX.

Donnie

Old 10-25-2010, 08:16 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Where is that?

Old 10-25-2010, 08:18 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Oh...Texas....uhhh yeah about that. LOL Hey my wife's dad lives in Houston, we just got the call that he's in the hospital with heart problems.....we may be going down there sooner than we wnt to.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:23 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

deej, hope things go well with the father-in-law's health. Those kinds of trips are usually not very enjoyable, but if you're passing by my area of Abilene, TX, and you have your KLX, I would be glad to show you a riding place that you would love...Texana Ranch. Our club, Ross Creek Trail Riders, have been out there for years, and it is one awesome place. 90 miles of trail.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Wish I was closer. Oh and I wish I had more vacation time to use Looks like a great spot. Have fun, stay safe, and take a few pics for those of us who can't ride much in December.

Dan

Old 10-26-2010, 02:10 AM
1st Gear Member

I was there in mid September and yes it is quite the place. Did ride " Black Gap Road " and it was plenty challenging ( lots of area's washed out ) I guess the day before someone tried to do it on a KLR and had to be rescued. ( I have a KLR as well and there is no way I could have made it ) he was broken up pretty good from what I heard.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:27 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 03rubicon
I was there in mid September and yes it is quite the place. Did ride " Black Gap Road " and it was plenty challenging ( lots of area's washed out ) I guess the day before someone tried to do it on a KLR and had to be rescued. ( I have a KLR as well and there is no way I could have made it ) he was broken up pretty good from what I heard.
Here's the Black Gap step-up that they talk about. Here's a 60 year old grandma making it without issue on an XT250. This is the only reasonably hard part on the Black Gap Road. Here's me going down it on a KLR650.

Attached Thumbnails Big Bend NP anyone?-img_0113.jpg   Big Bend NP anyone?-tnc-b.gap-drop.jpg  

Last edited by TNC; 10-26-2010 at 02:31 AM. Reason: add pic

Quick Reply: Big Bend NP anyone?