Big Bend, KLX & KLR

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 03:34 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member
Default Big Bend, KLX & KLR

I just spent about 10 solid days of riding in the Big Bend NP, Terlingua area, and Big Bend Ranch State Park in Texas on the Mexico border. The weather was perfect, the remote outback camping was perfect, and the riding was awesome. A buddy with a KLR650 came for the first week. I did the rest of it by myself on my KLX. I did this trip last year with the stock suspension, but it was remarkably improved with the Race Tech internals front and rear. The damping was great in all the rocks.

Some friends and family were concerned about being right on the border during this time, but this area isn't really crawling with much cartel activity. The Mexico side of the border is even more remote and harsh than the U.S. side, so there's not much criminal activity or otherwise.

I did at least 800 miles of riding with as little pavement as I could get away with. The KLX didn't even hiccup during the whole trip. On a couple of cold start mornings in the low 30's, the bike started up immediately. The opened up starter jet really has eliminated any starting issues. Most mornings the rides started out with temps around 45-50. The lowest high was around 65 with temps usually in the mid to high 70's. The whole trip had really great weather.

My 300-jugged KLX used no oil the whole trip and got a low mileage of 52 with the norms around 55 and a high of 62. That's some great consistency IMO. The chain hasn't even needed adjustment. The Neutech Tubliss system continues to be trouble free for well over a year now.

There is an amazing amount of off road stuff in both of these parks and the Terlingua area between them, and you can ride all day and hardly see another soul. It has more remote feeling to it than even a lot of southeastern Utah. The buddy with the KLR only dumped his bike once, and I only had a couple of close calls involving erosion ruts and such. Overall the area doesn't have the difficulty of Moab or such, but the BBR State Park has some fairly gnarly terrain on some of their secondary trails that were old unmaintained ranch trails. They even want you to get a free permit if you're heading out on those trails, because the park is so huge they want to know if you got out. If you got hurt out on some of those trails, you could go for days without seeing anyone. I went 100 miles one day out there and only saw one other "tourist" on one of the well maintained main dirt roads. Most people can't realize how big BBNP and BBRSP really are, and that they have that many miles of unpaved trails and roads. And there's hardly any cell phone capability anywhere in these areas.

Here's a few pics of the riding and scenery.

Attached Thumbnails Big Bend, KLX & KLR-p1010001.jpg   Big Bend, KLX & KLR-p1010012.jpg   Big Bend, KLX & KLR-p1010014.jpg   Big Bend, KLX & KLR-p1010023.jpg   Big Bend, KLX & KLR-p1010032.jpg  

Old 12-13-2010, 03:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome back! Glad to hear it went so well. I like that pack you have on the number plate. It looks like it would hold an ultra-heavy duty rear tube...which I don't carry because of the bulk and weight it puts on the front fender. On the fender, I carry a 21 inch tube. Nice pictures!

Old 12-13-2010, 01:23 PM
1st Gear Member

I didn't get to go this time, but it is on my list!

Donnie

Old 12-13-2010, 03:01 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blackheart58
Welcome back! Glad to hear it went so well. I like that pack you have on the number plate. It looks like it would hold an ultra-heavy duty rear tube...which I don't carry because of the bulk and weight it puts on the front fender. On the fender, I carry a 21 inch tube. Nice pictures!
That number plate pack is an MSR (Malcolm Smith Racing) fender pack, but I found it to be perfect for the number plate. I put my 1st Gear rain pants in there with a couple of other small incidentals. The small tool pack on the fender is actually a small but durable bicycle pack that was perfect for the fender. Even though I run tubeless, I carry a 21" standard tube in the bottom of my backpack that will work in either tire if needed.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info. That's why I carry a 21 also. I'm thinking of going to Tubliss the next time I change tires. Seems like a very good system!

Old 12-14-2010, 01:12 AM
1st Gear Member

HEY! welcome back. Looks like you had a lot of fun.What a great place for the ol' KLX. Definitely the kind of area you need that big tank you have. Glad you had someone else to ride with , at least some of the time. I know your prepared, but 100 miles and you only see one other person! That could be tricky if you have trouble.
Glad you had a good time.
I wish I was off riding in the desert....... It's supposed to be 6 degrees below zero here tonight.
Dan

Old 12-14-2010, 02:47 AM
1st Gear Member

that last picture says it all! great looking trip.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Glad you had a great time!!

Old 12-16-2010, 02:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the story and pictures. I also run the Muzzy and Acerbis and swear by them both. Suspension mods are next.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:21 AM
1st Gear Member

TNC -
That musta been one heck of a ride. Thanks for the report and pics. I'm so looking forward to making a trip like this in 2011. It would be cool to put something together where a few of us could join up...anyone in?

Acerbis tank is still on back order for my KLX -- it's been nearly two months now since placing the order...anyone else waiting on one?...or got an extra for an '06 just hanging around the garage? Fuel is a good thing .

Keep it up! The ride stories make these long winter nights go by quicker

Quick Reply: Big Bend, KLX & KLR