Better Chance of Triggering Red Lights with more engine vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 11:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Get youself a pair of these.
http://www.corcoranandmatterhorn.com...&CategoryID=37
Steel toe and steer sole. I've activated parking lot detectors by stepping on the corner of loops with these things.

Mike

Old 06-12-2010, 03:24 PM
1st Gear Member

those boots look like they'd make great DS or ADV boots! I clicked on the nearest store and it was in S America .

Vibration won't do it. it takes a mass of metal, and the metal is more easily detected when it's in a horizontal plane. This is why bikes have problems. If you crashed at every signal it's work good.... could try leaning to one side.

Strong magnets are no more effective than a piece of metal the same size, which isn't big enough. Tried a bunch of stuff when all the "tricks" of the internet came out.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:13 PM
1st Gear Member

LOL vibration, I can just see it now, one little earthquake here in So. Cal and all the traffic lights go nuts. Imaguine what a light would do near some railroad tracks! Your coworker or buddy sounds like one of the types that just likes to hear himself talk weather its right or wrong.

Old 06-13-2010, 05:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Just had the conversation the other day with my father a former Ohio DOT traffic control engineer. He repeated what he told me years ago. The light is supposed to work for all motor vehicles. If it will not trip by a motorcycle and you have been sitting for more than either a full cycle of the lights or a very real 2-3 minutes (few if any light cycles take more than 2 minutes even at the most complex intersections) then it is treated as a malfunctioning signal by the ODOT revised code. The rider can treat it as if it is a stop sign and procede when safe. Any decent reasonable police officer will not have issue with this. Especially if they observe you sitting through a cycle of the lights.

That is for Ohio only, you should consult your state DOT traffic control engineer and also the local law enforcement group to see what they say. I have one light here where I live that I know I cannot trip. I've resorted to cutting through a parking lot to circumvent it. I do stop before leaving the lot ramp back on to the road, so as long as the lot owners don't complain I have no problem with the legalities. I may talk to the city streets superintendent some day though. It really should be sensitive enough to pick up a bike.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:58 AM
1st Gear Member

A few weeks ago when I got my KLX inspected I couldn't trigger whatever mechanism detects a vehicle to give you a ticket for inspection. I rocked the bike back and forth, backed it up and tried again and nothing.

I told the guy what happened and he said it was the first time he ever heard of that. Probably not a lot of really light street legal bikes in NJ with 150lb riders.

Mark

Old 06-14-2010, 09:56 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by slippery750
LOL vibration, I can just see it now, one little earthquake here in So. Cal and all the traffic lights go nuts. Imaguine what a light would do near some railroad tracks! Your coworker or buddy sounds like one of the types that just likes to hear himself talk weather its right or wrong.
Haha...Good Point!

Old 06-14-2010, 02:28 PM
1st Gear Member

There are a few weight triggered lights around, but very few anymore. Most are electromagnetic in the ground and some use some sort of overhead sensor.

I love it here in the Columbus area where, as one guy called it the Columbus creep, cars creep forward or stop into the intersection beyond the sensor and can't trip it. Idiots.

That does bring up another point. You may or may not realize that large white line at a given intersection is the marker beyond which you are considered in the intersection. If you are past that line and the light changes you should (provided it is safe) continue through the intersection. Otherwise you are occupying space that may be needed for trucks or cars making turns. Another tip from my father the Ohio DOT traffic control engineer. Continue with your turn if you are past that wide white stop line, you are in the intersection and that is why there is a time delay between one direction going red and the other going green, to clear the intersection.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:37 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

[quote=GreenMonsta;421505]Don't most bikes shut off when the stand is down? I can't remember mine was never hooked up.
/quote]

It will only shut off when you start to release the clutch, just sitting there with the clutch pulled in and the engine running you can drop the kick stand. I finally by-passed my stand switch after last years desert ride and it would stick in.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:00 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I thought the metal toe cap on mx boots was for triggering lights? Thank god we have no lights where I live. We had a couple new stop signs one summer- but the snow plow knocked em down over the winter.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jacksonriding7
However here we're told if it doesn't trip, treat it like it's broken and go when it's safe.
Told by whom? By the police?

I've read about couple such instances, a bike waits for few traffic light cycles to get a left turn green. Never gets the green and finally makes a left turn on red, while making sure there's no oncoming traffic.
Somewhere there was a cop and biker gets a ticket. Court upholds the ticket.

I'm not saying "never do that" but I am saying it is probably against the law and will get you a ticket if you're caught by a cop or by a red light camera.

--
Mikko

Quick Reply: Better Chance of Triggering Red Lights with more engine vibration?