Better Chance of Triggering Red Lights with more engine vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 08:55 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default Better Chance of Triggering Red Lights with more engine vibration?

My co-worker and I were talking about triggering lights with our bikes and he stated that with his R6 he used to trigger a few lights, but now with his R1 he triggers almost all of them. He states that its because of the engine vibration.

Does this make sense?

If yes, what can we do to trigger more lights? Get an exhaust?

Old 06-11-2010, 10:02 AM
1st Gear Member

i would think its the extra 50kg of metal between the two.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:43 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Your coworker is an idiot.

There are all sorts of technologies for detecting cars -- everything from lasers to rubber hoses filled with air! By far the most common technique is the inductive loop. An inductive loop is simply a coil of wire embedded in the road's surface. To install the loop, they lay the asphalt and then come back and cut a groove in the asphalt with a saw. The wire is placed in the groove and sealed with a rubbery compound. You can often see these big rectangular loops cut in the pavement because the compound is obvious.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-dr...uestion234.htm

http://lifehacker.com/302108/trigger...ter-or-bicycle

http://www.greenlightstuff.com/trigger.html

Last edited by EMS_0525; 06-11-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:59 AM
1st Gear Member

HEHEHE, thanks for the chuckle

Old 06-11-2010, 01:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Vibrations? That's crazy, it doesn't measure vibrations.. It goes by color, if you're bike is green or red it usually won't go, but most other colors will trigger the light.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:53 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I solved my problem of triggering traffic light signals by going to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, Ohio. I broke in and went to the KISS display. I stole Gene Simmons steel platform boots. I'm now able to trip traffic lights with no problem when I put my feet down. The only problem I've encountered is that fuel mileage has dropped about 10 mpg. Also, I was driving by a salvage yard the other day while they were operating the big magnetic pickup for junk cars...I had a severe speed wobble that nearly caused a crash...scarey moment.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:54 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

No Vibration has nothing to do with it. There are two primary ways that the lights get triggered, one is magnetic as in the metal that is over the sensor and the other is a magnetic pulse pickup, sometimes there are both in the same location. Try dropping the kickstand down and back up next time your waiting for the light to change. Look up the laws in your state or city, and see if it allows you to go through if the light won't work. I've done it a few times. I guess having only one stop light makes this easy for me....LOL

Old 06-11-2010, 02:56 PM
1st Gear Member
Location: In North Western Jersey, but from Jackson, WY Originally

They make that magnet that is supposed to help, but I'm concerned that there's no place low enough on a D/S to mount it and get good results... besides maybe the kickstand.. but I really dont want to have to put down my kickstand at stop lights. However here we're told if it doesn't trip, treat it like it's broken and go when it's safe.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:24 PM
1st Gear Member

The guys are right. The inductive loops are nothing more than metal detectors. Each loop is connected to the loop detector and they're all set at varrying ranges of field intensity. That's why some pick up your bike and others don't. I've worked with these things as part of my job for years now.

Some loops are burried under the asphalt but many are saw cut into it (usually a square or rectangle). The field intensity is greatest at the corners of the loop. So when you pull up to a stop light try as best you can to straddle a corner of the loop. There you have the best chance of being detected.

Mike

Old 06-11-2010, 10:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Try dropping the kickstand down and back up next time your waiting for the light to change.

Don't most bikes shut off when the stand is down? I can't remember mine was never hooked up.

Great now I gotta go put magnets in my new shoes!

Quick Reply: Better Chance of Triggering Red Lights with more engine vibration?