Best KLX250 brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 11:09 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Best KLX250 brake pads?

Which brake pads have shown themselves to be the ones to use?

Just use OE Kawasaki pads or ?

Old 04-17-2013, 11:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Not to hijack your thread, but I have a similar question.

My front brake is quiet when applied, but my rear brake makes kind of a grinding sound. On a sound scale of 1-10, I'd say it's a 2. There is plenty of pad left, so I don't know why it's doing this. I've thought about getting new pads to see if it would go away.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
Not to hijack your thread, but I have a similar question.

My front brake is quiet when applied, but my rear brake makes kind of a grinding sound. On a sound scale of 1-10, I'd say it's a 2. There is plenty of pad left, so I don't know why it's doing this. I've thought about getting new pads to see if it would go away.
Could be dirt between pads and disc.

I think the OE are the best. I've tried EBC and was very disappointed with the pads.

On a side note, if you're looking for stopping power, then I'd suggest getting stainless steel brake lines.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:46 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Malves
Could be dirt between pads and disc.

I think the OE are the best. I've tried EBC and was very disappointed with the pads.

On a side note, if you're looking for stopping power, then I'd suggest getting stainless steel brake lines.
I gotta agree. The OEM pads are darned good from my experience. I did change the front brake hose to a stainless steel model, but this was because of poor modulation and spongy lever feel. I've had to do the same to many other bikes over the years that had OEM rubber hoses. The front and rear pads on the KLX seem to work quite well. If I wind up riding the rear brake a bit more than normal in tight, technical terrain, I notice the rear brake making a grinding noise...not really a squealing sound. I'd suggest you look at how you set your foot on the peg in relationship to the brake pedal. The KLX has a lousy brake pedal to footpeg relationship IMO. There's little adjustment in the positioning of the pedal, and I ended up having to actually bend the pedal arm to get a position that suited to me.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:20 AM
1st Gear Member

I just went with the cheapest stuff out there, I'm not racing, my brakes work fine

Old 04-18-2013, 03:33 AM
1st Gear Member

i'm still on my first oem set....front are still only about 1/4th worn and rears are about 1/2 worn..guess i use more rear brake...i'm pretty careful with front braking because my rear will lift up and come out...i tend to use light front and harder rear to control this...i have a pair of neutron brake pads for front/rear i picked up from a bargain bin..those will go on when pads wear out, but probably closer to 20,000 miles for the rear and 25,000 miles for the front...

Old 04-18-2013, 03:55 AM
1st Gear Member

I can honestly say you will not find a better pad than OEM Kawasaki for strong initial bite.

I have tried EBC & was very disappointed. My friend tried Galfer pads & was equally disappointed.

The pads i am using at the moment are the best aftermarket pad i have found! They are DP pro-mx & NO they don't beat OEM pad for stronger initial bite...but YES they do beat the OEM pad for smooth progressive higher speed stopping power & absolutely zero fade during high speed fast hard braking SuperMoto (SF) road riding. They have really impressed me for this!

I can't talk about off-road use but for low/mid speed commuting the OEM pad is best.

The DP pro-mx are best when doing fast hard sustained riding on the mountain twisties IMHO, for stopping power, predictability & zero fade

Old 04-20-2013, 04:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Renthal makes great brake pads for most bikes. They retail for around $32.00 a set.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:43 AM
1st Gear Member

I tried the Tusk brand pads RMATV sells and was disappointed. Went through the rear set very quickly. That may be a fluke because the fronts have held up well. I ended up with Moose racing pads on the rear and they have done well.
Dan

Old 04-20-2013, 07:09 AM
1st Gear Member

I'll go with the Kaw pads I think.

I have to ship things here in the Philippines from the US and don't want any disappointing surprises that will force me to do it over again

I may opt for the ss line(s) while I am at it

Thanks everyone

Quick Reply: Best KLX250 brake pads?