Belstaff Riding Jacket

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 01:50 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Belstaff Riding Jacket

Hey, guys. I thougth that since it's almost the end of summer and time to start thinking about riding gear for the cooler weather, I'd mention Belstaff. While at the International Motorcycle Show in Dallas last winter, I tried on one of their jackets. I didn't buy it right then, but I couldn't get it out of my mind. Finally, as I was getting ready for my ride to Terlingua, Texas in February, my loving wife bought me one for the trip. It wansn't cheap, but boy was it warm...and versatile! See photos of it in a back issue of Ride Oklahoma Magazine, April Issue if you'd like. I used the liner alone for my backup warm weather gear on my recent Harley trip to Canada. It was the next best thing to an electric jacket all by itself.
You can check them out on: www.BritishMotorcycleGear.com if you'd like to see what they have to offer.

Bill Dragoo
KLX 331
FXDX

Old 08-30-2007, 02:15 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Belstaff Riding Jacket

Oh great Bill, now I'm gonna obsess about the jacket with the built in hydration pack. Yea thanks for nothing.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:57 PM
1st Gear Member

I've been considering the Belstaff'Mercury' or the "Discovery.' I was condsidering the Challenger after a good review from Web Bike World, but one of the constomer reviews talked about snap fasteners falling out, so beware. All-in-all, I think it's still a very good Jacket and hopefully they have solved the snap fastener problem.. Check out the review at Webbikeworld.com.

ORIGINAL: Shadetree

Hey, guys. I thougth that since it's almost the end of summer and time to start thinking about riding gear for the cooler weather, I'd mention Belstaff. While at the International Motorcycle Show in Dallas last winter, I tried on one of their jackets. I didn't buy it right then, but I couldn't get it out of my mind. Finally, as I was getting ready for my ride to Terlingua, Texas in February, my loving wife bought me one for the trip. It wansn't cheap, but boy was it warm...and versatile! See photos of it in a back issue of Ride Oklahoma Magazine, April Issue if you'd like. I used the liner alone for my backup warm weather gear on my recent Harley trip to Canada. It was the next best thing to an electric jacket all by itself.
You can check them out on: www.BritishMotorcycleGear.com if you'd like to see what they have to offer.

Bill Dragoo
KLX 331
FXDX

Old 08-30-2007, 02:03 PM
1st Gear Member

I ended up with the Khaki, Discovery. In the "Terlingua" story I mentioned, a buddy and I were stranded overnight in the desert, 15 miles from town when the clutch on his KLR gave up the ghost in the mud. The KLX was still working, but he wouldn't leave his bike and I wouldn't leave him. It was February and South Texas was having one of the worst winters ever. We had nothing but our riding gear with us. I had some granola bars, Gary had a few pecans and we both had water. Overnight temps were in the 20's. There isn't much to burn out there, but we managed to keep a small fire going all night. That and the jacket kept me warm. Gary had a heated vest and regular riding jacket. He just about got hypothermia, poor guy.

Bill Dragoo
Norman, Oklahoma
KLX 331
Dyna Sport

Old 08-30-2007, 02:24 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

"He wouldn't leave his bike and I wouldn't leave him" ...............That is sweet. No not in a gurly kind of way, just made me think about what it means to be a friend. Way to go man.[sm=hail.gif]

Old 08-30-2007, 06:59 PM
1st Gear Member

You'd have done the same, DJ, I'm sure of it. The mud was so thick that one of the two guys we sent for help fried the clutch on his KLX 400 too. We didn't know it until the next day, but we wondered why they hadn't come back. They left us at 4:00. By 4:30, I had already gathered a good start on a pile of mesquite, just in case. Well, we gathered that stuff all night long. It's like trying to survive eating sunflower seeds. You eat as fast as you can and still starve to death. We could barely keep the fire going with what we could muster to burn. It was two days before things dried out enough to get back there and fish out the bikes. I ended up borrowing a BMW HP2 to scout out the trails. That's a whole 'nother story. More fun than one guy autta have, or one might think anyway.

Bill

Old 08-31-2007, 01:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Wow, that's quite a story and a pretty good testimonial for the jacket. I've been agonizing over whether to buy the shorter length Mercury or the Discovery. I like all the pockets in the Discovery, but it's a pretty bulky jacket. Your story might very well be the convincer though. You never know when and where you will get stranded.

ORIGINAL: Shadetree

I ended up with the Khaki, Discovery. In the "Terlingua" story I mentioned, a buddy and I were stranded overnight in the desert, 15 miles from town when the clutch on his KLR gave up the ghost in the mud. The KLX was still working, but he wouldn't leave his bike and I wouldn't leave him. It was February and South Texas was having one of the worst winters ever. We had nothing but our riding gear with us. I had some granola bars, Gary had a few pecans and we both had water. Overnight temps were in the 20's. There isn't much to burn out there, but we managed to keep a small fire going all night. That and the jacket kept me warm. Gary had a heated vest and regular riding jacket. He just about got hypothermia, poor guy.

Bill Dragoo
Norman, Oklahoma
KLX 331
Dyna Sport

Old 09-01-2007, 03:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Dean,
The discovery isn't really all that bulky, considering how warm it is. I've used it without the liner a few times and it's a great all day jacket, especially when rain is a possibility. It's absolutely waterproof on top of being pretty well ventelated with everything opened up. Plus, it's a really cool looking piece.

Bill